ASU’s Choir, Conductor Make Their Carnegie Hall Debuts

Olde Hornet

For decades, Carnegie Hall has housed many amazing artists from Tchaikovsky to Dvorak and George Gershwin to Billy Holiday and the Beatles. World-renowned composers and musicians have performed at this highly esteemed concert hall. On May 13, Alabama State University’s concert choir took the stage in New York for this exclusive experience.

The venerable institution, one of the world’s most historic musical locations, invited the ASU choir, under the direction of Dr. Kristofer Sanchack, director of Choral Activities, to perform on its stage as part of its guest conducting engagement series.

The 44-plus-member choir ensemble performed with several other distinguished soloists and choruses from across the country, including Virginia, New Jersey and Colorado.

“Singing at Carnegie Hall is most definitely a huge honor because it is one of the most prestigious and respected musical venues,” said Maalik Camp, a bass-baritone. “I was excited to perform there.”

Not only is the chance to perform at one of the most influential music halls in the world an amazing feat, but Camp added that he was just happy to be able to travel and do something he loves.

“I’ve always wanted to go to New York, and Carnegie Hall is just such a beautiful venue with such a rich history,” Camp said. “I never thought I would have this type of opportunity so young in my life and so early in my career.”

Similar to Camp, soprano Alexis Anderson said performing at Carnegie Hall is special but said there is another important reason.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Back