As I sit here and contemplate lunch...

Panther88

Banned
It really saddens my heart to encounter what I call "1900ish" mentality.

I'm doing Led Robster and last week, I went there alone and meditated for a moment. As I looked around, nothing but white folx (late lunch of course). White servers, white patrons, white this, white that.... and I thought to myself... Quite a few of MY folx died for me to have this right. As the lobster tail and scallops were brought over, I relished the smell and subsequent taste and thought to myself: <b>"Look at this fork. Look at this virgin daiquiri. Look at this good food. My ancestry never had the opportunity to enjoy this type of service publicly. Why am I so priviledged? Would I have done the same? Would I have been willing to yield my life so that some subsequent selfish generation could enjoy (pretty much) the fruits of my turmoil? ..."</b>

Sorry, I went off on a tangent due to other things that are occurring around me. Our PVAMU National Alumni conference is being held in Dallas (July 11-13) and we local alumni have been working feverishly to get this thing off the ground. Corporate sponsorship is a biggie (and $$$$ generator). I'm really amazed at the willingness of corps to accept the black $$$$ but in like manner, almost refuse to sponsor (or donate) a VERY MINISCULE $ towards a worthy cause <b>AND</b> in the same instance, will almost forward MUCHO $$$$$$ towards "hook'em horns, gig'em aggies, prowl'em cougs, ride'em mustangs, ...". Truly amazing. That's the 1900ish mentality that I referred to earlier. This has affected me personally as places that I USED to patronize would not even come to my aide (or the univs). These are places that I've spent consistent $$$$$$ towards (one is actually a car dealership that I purchased 3 vehicles from w/in the last 4 years). It's truly shameful when car dealerships from the Houston area support and the local dealership(s) doesn't... Even my own corp had to endure the :mad: of my request. They too had to view an e-mail from me to our CIO (w/ ccs to HR, our past CEO, my VP, and my Director) indicating that <b>"#1, I'm leaning towards quitting your organization due to the lack of support that it shows towards the African-American community as a whole. It's this SAME African-American community that CONTINUES to be a STOLID and STAUNCH supporter of the wireless products and services that this corp sells! How hypocritical... The same COMMUNITY that supports the corp doesn't deserve the SAME type of support in like manner? A very miniscule request for a <u>sign of support</u> and the corp faulters? Again, how hypocritical...
..... ........ My assumption now is that people of color do not use/utilize wireless products or services. This assumption must be true due to the evidence of lack of support of initiatives of people of color that require ANY financial or visible backing by this corp!..... ...... ......."</b> Mind you, I'm one of 17 DMTS (Distinguished Members of Technical Staff) w/in this "young" corp ad it's taken me a lot of hard work to get to this point. But, bottom line? Right is right and wrong is wrong. I'd yield it to always speak my mind.

I'm in a 'raw' mood and even this thing (which some may call minute - but, it's really a BIG deal) set me off again this morning. When you HAND someone your money or check to pay for a product or service AND they subsequently PLACE your change or receipt on the counter instead of your hand, what do you think is going on? I've only experienced this w/ WHITES/CAUCASIANS/ANGLOs. Black merchants ALWAYS hand the receipt or change to my hand. To me, there's a message there and it has NOTHING to do w/ HOME training or KINDNESS or ETIQUETTE OR PROPER PROTOCOL.

Church is over.

Pi, errr, Panthro!

Then I take it you've never been to the Red Lobster on Old National Highway in ATL. You'll be lucky to even see ONE ofay in there.:emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Dang Panthro, ain't nobody got time to be readin' all dat....sheesh.

I'll post my thoughts later.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sensitive about this unknown...

In lilly-white Dallas (north Tx period), I look around and all I see is...

One other thing that is beginning to bother me is the advantages that have been taken by people (chinese, indians, taiwainese, ...) finding their way into corps via affirmative action policies. Even on PV's campus, I think there's an 'underground' brotherhood/sisterhood of 'other folx' who are looking out for each other and ensuring that they have the "hook-up" when they leave school. Even locally, UTD (UnivTx@Dallas), UTA (Arlington), UNT, TWU, ... I see this exceptionally high # of foreigners and these peeps may have just gotten off the boat 5-6 years ago and now their parents pull up to me at a stop light driving beamers, benzos, lexi, ...

Something going on here brotha... :(

kellis:
Gul, I'm not okay today. I'd trade places w/ you for a minute if I could... These white folx are getting on my last damned nerve. (along w/ some other groups)

DTown:
You'd betta' check yourself in gul and respond dammit! I cannot even LOL.... :(

Sad... :(

Panthro, I feel you on this. I find that I am offended when a white lady at Luby's placed my credit card and receipt on the counter. You know what I did? I reached in my person and found some change to buy those little mints on the counter. When giving the money to her, I held her hand and told her to have a nice day!

I didn't allow her to not touch me! I make it a point! Sucker!

As for the corporations not supporting endeavors like scholarship funds and other worthy causes, I find it sad to say the least. When seeking support for the Houston Alumni ( a few years ago), I had to seek out a friend who works for Cepsi Porporation to get them to donate a mere 100 cans of soda for our annual crawfish boil which is our largest scholarship fundaiser.

What can you do? You can't make them give. When you tell folks to boycott or stop frequenting their business, none of listen...None find that boycotting works. It does not change them. We (IMO) don't have a large enough financial impact on some corporations....IF there is a better way, I'd like to know what it is...

Damn....

You see, that's the type of stuff that I'm talking about right there.

I won't drink another pepsi product any time soon. A mere 100 cans of pop? I'll be damned... :( Jokers making millions upon millions and cannot spare 100 cans? "L", let "hook-em horns, ..." come ask, they'll get 2 bajillion cans!

I don't have the answer. I think that people of color COULD make a difference if we were to band together, but, in this current day and time, we (as a <u>former</u> people) couldn't get together on this. To be honest w/ you, since I've been very active in the PV stuff recently, even all of us don't come together. It's really sad to encounter/be a part of disunity. :(

Like you, I don't have the answer. The question has loomed w/ me for quite some time since my eyes were opened wide shut! :(

Panthro!

DISUNITY

Panthro, I'm not as active either. However, the disunity is like cancer. It can break down the strongest of strong. Think about it.

What do black people as a whole agree upon?

Politics? NO
Religion? NO
Organizational policies? NO
Which companies to boycott for PRINCIPLE? NO
Black Leaders? NO
Support of each other? NO
Skin Color? NO
How to eat? NO
When to eat? NO
How to pray? NO
Who to pray to? NO

The list goes on.... Disunity is a bad mutha sucka!

Damn...

J4J, your honesty and integrity are making me feel <b>worser and worser</b>....

You're 1000% correct.

Truly SA_... :(

PANTHRO.....

I have the same feelings as you on ALL of this.......

We as a people have been conditioned to the point that we're "conquered"!

The PALE FACE know the rules of the game and have even let some of the "us" in, but we don't turn around and pull up our people, we turn our backs......We got to learn to trust and network!!!

I dare you to test this..call all of your friends and tell them you've just been laid off and you want them to circulate your resume to hiring managers.....watch how many fall by the wayside!!!

That's why I'm trying to open my OWN business...... I'm done with Coporate America.....

.*sigh*
Props JAG03! Mad props.
You would think at this day and age we'd want to do something about it though. Has "supposed" middle/higher class entrance (their levels) caused us to go that far astray?

I need to meditate more on this... I'm peeping it and feel like I too am part of the blame by continuing w/ the status quo. But at the same time, I've identified the problem(s) and am now ready to do something about it.

That's funny that you'd allude to the resume' passing. W/ a "strong" network, if you will, your resume' SHOULD find it's way to hiring mgrs almost immediately (at least that's the way that I am). My past feelings on this are that I get offended (take it personally) when my corp doesn't hire someone that I passed a resume' onto. I know that they'll hire Tom, Dick, and Jane from A&M down the road apiece or Hank from UT who are NO DIFFERENT than the person whose resume' I just gave them. That's what upsets me! :mad:

This ish has to stop.

Pepsi is our drink sponsor at Prairie View.....they dropped $100K to us last February...

as for the other folks...I learned when dealing with certain white folks is that you let them do all the talking and you listen. They come to appreciate that and will let their "guard" down.

Learned that the other night and yesterday during a city council meeting/interview session I was at. Almost have to butter them up because when they get to talking it's over.

Back