Arkansas-Pine Bluff student dies

Dr H..

Arkansas-Pine Bluff student dies after gang initiation beating in Memphis

A University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff senior died after he was severely beaten as part of his initiation in the Bloods street gang, according to Memphis police.

Keith Saulsberry, a 22-year-old health and physical education major, was pronounced dead at Methodist South Hospital just after midnight Saturday.

A little more than an hour earlier, Saulsberry had been pummeled at the intersection of Double Tree Road and Western Park Drive in Southeast Memphis, according to a police affidavit.

Robert Barlow, a.k.a. "Bay Bay," and Raymond Clark, a.k.a. "Smooks," beat Saulsberry for three minutes while other gang members watched, the affidavit states.

Saulsberry submitted to the beating without fighting back per gang rules, said police spokeswoman Karen Rudolph. He was barely conscious at the conclusion of the fight and was breathing with difficulty.

He was killed by blunt force trauma to the head, according to the Medical Examiner's Office.

Barlow, 24, said he noticed Saulsberry had trouble breathing but continued beating him until he became nonresponsive, according to the police report.

Instead of taking Saulsberry to a hospital, gang members took him to Barlow's nearby house on Double Tree, where they doused him with water for 30-45 minutes in an attempt to revive him. Barlow and another man eventually drove the victim to Methodist South Hospital at about midnight.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/may/26/arkansas-pine-bluff-student-dies-after-gang-initia/

Wow!! Grown men trying to join a gang first of all. :shame: Man what in the hell does a grown man want to be in a gang for? At that age, most folks who ever even ran with these type of groups don't affilate with it. Sad!!!!

:shame: @ supposedly college-educated people agreeing to get beat just to be a part of an organization

What did this young man expect to gain from joining a gang at this point in his life? He should have been close to graduating from UAPB and joining the work force.

Sad! Things happen in 3's because another student was shot 6 times and a former student/band member was killed by her boyfriend and the bastid stuffed her in a trash can after he shot her! The disregard for life is at an all time low!

Sad! Things happen in 3's because another student was shot 6 times and a former student/band member was killed by her boyfriend and the bastid stuffed her in a trash can after he shot her! The disregard for life is at an all time low!

Yeah there are many cities that people are using murder as a sport.:shame:

"Wash" was telling me about that, Phil! My sympathy goes out to all families, UAPB & M4 on these lives lost. This is so sad.:(

Yeah frat...I work with her aunt. The guy wanted her to marry him and she rufused. She had called the Little Rock police on him informing them that he was a threat. Sad though..

The Commercial Appeal says gang initiation but it could be a case where a gang member knows the college student and they try to force him into the gang. It has happened. It sounds more dramatic when a college student is murdered from a gang initiation.(being sarcastic).

UAPB student fatally beaten in gang rite

I don't if this was posted last month or if anyone heard about this. I know this happened last month, but this is so disturbing to me.
I apologize if I posting this in the wrong forum.

UAPB student fatally beaten in gang rite

By The Associated Press

MEMPHIS — An Arkansas college student has died after being severely beaten in what Memphis police say was a gang initiation.

Police identified the victim as 22-year-old Keith Saulsberry — a student at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, who could have graduated in December.

The Shelby County Medical Examiner’s Office said Saulsberry died of head injuries.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/may/26/uapb-student-fatally-beaten-gang-rite/?new

Last edited:
Re: UAPB student fatally beaten in gang rite

Haven't heard the story before now, but very SAD. What is it with our young people and these gangs? Have mercy on this child's family and his soul. :smh: May he RIP...:( :angel2:

It was discussed in the "On Da Yard" forum...very sad and stupid in deed!!! :shame:

The story is sad. All I can say is 'wow' :(

But reading the posted comments (at the bottom of the page, all I can do is :shame: )

The Commercial Appeal says gang initiation but it could be a case where a gang member knows the college student and they try to force him into the gang. It has happened. It sounds more dramatic when a college student is murdered from a gang initiation.(being sarcastic).

Im sorry but...no gang is trying to force a 22 year old man..to be down. This story is just :shame:

This is why you have to teach your kids to be leaders and not followers. It still pissess me off when I read this story.

Back