Back to Index Published on 08/7/02
|
Help's on the way

Texas transfer Ike should make impact in running game

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Advocate staff photo by John H. Williams
Victor Ike, a transfer from Texas, works up a sweat during voluntary workouts at Southern University last month. Unhappy with his play as a Longhorn, Ike says he can help Southern's running game.
Something good came out of the 2001 Bayou Classic for Southern University after all.

Sure, the loss exposed what little was left of a running game beset by a season of injuries and disappearances. Two tailbacks totaled 14 yards, with the Jaguars finishing with minus-5 yards.

Even so, Texas running back Victor Ike saw a wide-open offense that could use his services.

And sometime between starting the Holiday Bowl and sitting out of school in the spring, Ike, who watched freshman phenom Cedric Benson run away with what should have been his breakthrough season, got in touch with Southern.

"That's the kind of offense I always wanted to play in: a wide-open offense where you need a back who can go all the way to the house," Ike said. "I wanted to find a school which could highlight my talents."

There's nothing like a blue-chip running back calling out of the blue.

"Ike can solve a lot of problems for us," Southern coach Pete Richardson said.

Ike (5-foot-11, 200 pounds) left Bowie High in Austin, Texas, in 1998, as one of the nation's top recruits after getting 1,742 yards and 30 touchdowns in 10 games despite an ankle injury.

Current Washington coach Rick Neuheisel said he "begged" Ike to come to Colorado. Nebraska, Miami and Tennessee also longed for Ike's signature. He originally committed to Texas A&M, but then-incoming coach Mack Brown convinced Ike to change that choice and stay in town.

Redshirted as a backup to Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams in 1998, Ike patiently awaited his chance to star. His first catch in 1999? An 80-yard touchdown against North Carolina State.

Emerging as the school's top kick returner the past two seasons, Ike, considered Texas' fastest offensive player, began as the starting tailback in last season's opener. But he didn't hold the job. So after 1,940 all-purpose yards (595 rushing) and 11 touchdowns in three seasons, he didn't want to be No. 2 anymore.

"To me, it looked like they needed help," Ike said. "And I wasn't too happy at Texas. I wasn't getting the ball like I wanted."

The impatience comes through in Ike's voice. But that voice also holds confidence -- and the comfort that comes with a fresh start.

"I love it here," Ike said. "People here are more down to earth. There's not so much pressure on you as there is at a school like Texas. You forget to have fun. You have to have fun to play football. It's too hard of a sport."

Richardson said Ike, who will report Thursday with Southern's newcomers, is Southern's best tailback prospect since he had Steve Wofford, the school's career rushing leader, in the mid-1990s.

"He's going to be given the opportunity to fill the void," Richardson said.

Southern hasn't won the SWAC title since 1999, the last time the Jaguars had a 1,000-yard rusher, Ryan Lewis.

Last season's best rusher, Carl Singleton, hasn't been cleared yet after suffering a knee injury at Florida A&M. Two promising nonqualifiers from last season, Marques Newman and Kenneth Peoples, along with true freshman Devin Hebert, report Thursday. And Rodney Tucker, a redshirt freshman who opened eyes with bulldog running in the spring, reports with the veterans Sunday.

But if Ike does as expected, coaches can be patient with the others.

"We haven't counted out anybody, but obviously we're expecting big things from (Ike)," first-year offensive coordinator David Oliver said. "He's coming for his senior year to prove himself, prove he's a big-time player.

"He's got that attitude about him. From all the feedback from the strength and conditioning coaches and the other players, he's certainly made himself a part of the team."

Ike did that by getting to know his teammates while visiting a handful of spring practices and attending the spring game. Then, he came to summer school and participated in voluntary workouts.

Ike, born in Houston, spent some of his childhood in Eunice, home to his mother's family. His cousin, Derrick Ned, played running back at Grambling in the early 1990s. And he and Southern assistant trainer John Ned are related, though neither knew the other until Ike arrived on campus.

"I've gotten a lot of feedback on what kind of a special talent he is," Oliver said. "I'm excited to see him when we get going."

KEEPING SCORE: Workers were busy Tuesday removing the scoreboard at A.W. Mumford Stadium in preparation for the new Daktronics scoreboard, which needs to be in place by the home opener, Sept. 28, against Nicholls State. Southern and Daktronics officials, as well as sponsors for the systems which will be in place at the F.G. Clark Activity Center and Lee-Hines Field, will be available in a Thursday morning news conference.

Top of page
victorLR.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SITE INDEX
HOME: About Us | Archives | Help | Search | Site Map | Subscribe
NEWS: AP Wire | Elections | Health news | Legislature | Police Briefs | Religion | School News | Science | Smiley
SUBURBAN
NEWS: Acadiana | Baker, Zachary, Felicianas | Florida parishes |
River parishes | Westside
WEATHER: Current Weather
SPORTS: ECHL hockey | High school sports | LSU sports | Outdoors |
New Orleans Saints | SEC FanaticZone | Southern University |
Team Schedules
PEOPLE: Adolessons | At Random | Attic Salt | Food | Teen Stuff
OBITUARIES: Obituaries | Funerals
LEISURE: Movies | Television news | TV listings | Music | Books | Comics | Horoscopes | Crossword | Wordsearch | Travel | Personals
BUSINESS: Briefs | Motley Fool | Technobabble
OPINION: Inside Report | Joan McKinney | Milford Fryer | Our Views | Perspective | Political Horizons
ADVERTISING: Advertise with Us | ADvocate ADvantages | Apartment Directory | Classifieds | Display (Graphical) Ads | Employment Classifieds | La Job Market | Marketplace | Real Estate Classifieds | Wheels (Automotive) Section | Yellow Pages
SPECIAL
SECTIONS: Millennium | Vacation | Weddings |
World Wide Wanderers | Other Special Sections
Copyright ? 1995-2002, The Advocate, Capital City Press, All Rights Reserved.
Comments about our site, write: comments@theadvocate.com
Advertise with us
For information about newspaper jobs @ The Advocate - click here

Index
Home
Business
Classifieds
Leisure
Marketplace
News
Obituaries
Site Map
Sports
Weather

Contact us:
E-mail:
Sports Desk
The Advocate staff
Fax:
Team pages:
ECHL hockey
LSU sports
High-school sports
New Orleans Saints
Southern University sports
What's new:
Hornets schedule
River Bats schedule

Sports extras:
Summer camps
NASCAR Insider
Fun and Fitness Calendar
SEC Fanatic Zone
Pro Football News
Access Routes to Tiger Stadium
Team schedules
Sports columns:
Carl Dubois
Robin Fambrough
Glenn Guilbeau
Sam King
Kent Lowe
Joe Macaluso
Sheldon Mickles
Scott Rabalais
Joe Schiefelbein
William Weathers

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Noway,

We are not ready for this 4th string Texas dude. Between him, Reeshard and Hayes, what is we gone do?

Buffalo "aint ready"

That talibon defense that yielded 61 & 66 points last year and hired p.v. defensive coodinator should just forfeit the game.

Originally posted by Get Ready
Noway,

We are not ready for this 4th string Texas dude. Between him, Reeshard and Hayes, what is we gone do?

4th string???? U better read BOY!!!

Few Texas players say Ike wasn't that hot anyway. They should know since they played defense against him in practice.

Ike had a chance to outright take control in 2000 but failed to do so. Freshman came in and beat him out.

It seems like Ike felt it was time to move on and try his talent at SU. But it seems a bit arrogant on his part to assume that he would be the automatic starter. Maybe he has some assurances from the coaching staff. Although Pete may be tossing these accolades, I'm sure the players at SU can't wait to put a hit on this "Texas Hotshot" to welcome him to the SWAC.

I'm wondering as to his reason for not participating in Spring practice. Was it due to scheduling conflict at UT (they might be on a quarter system and the semesters conflicted) or did he just decided to "miss" because he felt he had nothing to prove? I don't know how this will affect SU chemistry, but if I was a member of the Jags his azz would have to show me he belongs (talent wise and as a "teammate").

Back