Are HBCU athletic programs taking full advantage of high school student-athletes who are really considering them?

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
I've had some interesting conversations with parents who attended HBCUs about their children who are student-athletes. The parents are telling me that their kids are more open than ever before to attending HBCUs to continue their academic and athletic careers, now that they see more and more athletes transferring to HBCUs. The parents are telling me that these same kids are receiving offers from P5 and G5 programs, but when they reach out to the coaches of their respective schools, it's like "pulling teeth." (That was the description that one of the parents used). They are telling me that they have called coaches/ADs/recruiting coordinators and left messages, emailed, and sent text messages, but never get a response.

Are any of you experiencing this or aware of anyone else experiencing this? And if so, why do you believe parents are experiencing this still. Are HBCUs taking full advantage of this situation?

I've had some interesting conversations with parents who attended HBCUs about their children who are student-athletes. The parents are telling me that their kids are more open than ever before to attending HBCUs to continue their academic and athletic careers, now that they see more and more athletes transferring to HBCUs. The parents are telling me that these same kids are receiving offers from P5 and G5 programs, but when they reach out to the coaches of their respective schools, it's like "pulling teeth." (That was the description that one of the parents used). They are telling me that they have called coaches/ADs/recruiting coordinators and left messages, emailed, and sent text messages, but never get a response.

Are any of you experiencing this or aware of anyone else experiencing this? And if so, why do you believe parents are experiencing this still. Are HBCUs taking full advantage of this situation?

Kenn, in some instances it may be what the coaches are looking for recruiting wise in terms of positions and depth. However, If they're not returning calls and at the very least not letting kids know where they stand, then that is a big problem. I can't see coaches not returning calls for those calibers of athletes though. That sounds a little suspect, particularly because of their success, upward mobility, and job security depends on it. A good AD would (should) also know that type of mindset could adversely impact the bottom line because one has to have a product that your faithful want to see in your primary revenue program. You know the popular saying, "It’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmys and Joes.”

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I can't see coaches not returning calls for those calibers of athletes though. That sounds a little suspect, particularly because of their success, upward mobility, and job security depends on it.
It's funny that you say this because in any other situation I'd be in agreement. However, I have PERSONALLY verified this happening on two occasions. Both of them involved SWAC institutions.

But no one has said anything if the PWC are not returning calls also. It’s like they expect them to not answer their phones but we gotta be on call 24/7.

the pandemic has changed a lot with recruiting as teams are getting those G5 caliber guys now cause schools didn’t have a spring to showcase kids not many are playing this fall. So a lot of kids took the first offer or had more time to see where they fit in.

folks ain’t gonna return to many emails now as slots have been filled or the uncertainty with roster sizes due to kids getting extra years in 2021-22

Kenn, in some instances it may be what the coaches are looking for recruiting wise in terms of positions and depth. However, If they're not returning calls and at the very least not letting kids know where they stand, then that is a big problem. I can't see coaches not returning calls for those calibers of athletes though. That sounds a little suspect, particularly because of their success, upward mobility, and job security depends on it. A good AD would (should) also know that type of mindset could adversely impact the bottom line because one has to have a product that your faithful want to see in your primary revenue program. You know the popular saying, "It’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmys and Joes.”
Great point. Just because that kid had some FBS offers and let’s say they have interest in alcorn and alcorn not looking for depth in that position Doenst means alcorn just has to show interest. FCS only get 60 something scholarship which are used very wisely and on a need bases

Great point. Just because that kid had some FBS offers and let’s say they have interest in alcorn and alcorn not looking for depth in that position Doenst means alcorn just has to show interest. FCS only get 60 something scholarship which are used very wisely and on a need bases

FCS schools actually can have up to 63 scholarships and those can be split up to give more athletes some kind of funding. How many of our schools are actually funding 63 scholarships which would be the question to look at.

In my experience, some coaches avoid players of alumni parents out of fear unless the player has a mutual relationship elsewhere.

I've seen the kid of an A&M grad get slow-walked by an A&M coach just because coach is worried about having to deal with the politics. It's less of an issue with established coaches who are strong willed and will tell a parent to go screw themselves if it comes to it. But a .500 guy in hot water might wanna avoid the politics.

I also think it's a mistrust factor too. Some HBCU coaches simply don't want to waste precious resources on a kid just to get left in the cold.

Now, in this new era of social activism, there should be no excuses. And the push to rescue these kids really needs to start in the Offices of the President, meaning these efforts should be university wide and trickle down to the coaches. Emphasize it when hiring coaches. Let them know that its no longer acceptable to get outrecruited by directional schools much younger than ours.

There is no legitimate reason why Troy University can go from being a D2 school to playing in an FBS bowl game in AAMU & ASU's backyard. NONE.

In my experience, some coaches avoid players of alumni parents out of fear unless the player has a mutual relationship elsewhere.

I've seen the kid of an A&M grad get slow-walked by an A&M coach just because coach is worried about having to deal with the politics. It's less of an issue with established coaches who are strong willed and will tell a parent to go screw themselves if it comes to it. But a .500 guy in hot water might wanna avoid the politics.

I also think it's a mistrust factor too. Some HBCU coaches simply don't want to waste precious resources on a kid just to get left in the cold.

I think you makes some excellent points.

But no one has said anything if the PWC are not returning calls also. It’s like they expect them to not answer their phones but we gotta be on call 24/7.
But the parents are saying its the PWC's who are proactively expressing interest in their kids. The parents I've talked to actually want their kids to go to HBCUs to play sports.

I'm sure at some point we've heard how a parent talks about how their son/daughter committed to a PWI and one of us would ask, "how come he didn't go to your particular HBCU?" And the response would be we tried, but we NEVER heard back from the coach. We've all heard this before.

I do want to be clear about one thing. This thread is simply a conversation.

My personal position is this: If a school hires a head coach in ANY sport, the head coach should be given the opportunity to do the job however he/she sees fit. Because when it is all said and done, the coach is ultimately going to be judged on wins and losses. If the program is winning, the coach is likely recruiting the people necessary to get the job done, if not, well it's time to look at other options.

Here's an example.

Mikey Williams expresses interest in HBCUs. Kid is expected to be mid to high major. How many SWAC coaches have offered him a scholarship?

One. From one of the bottom half D1 conferences in the country

There are several threads on this board about how some our coaches were hired, which tells me that cronyism is still alive and well at most HBCUs. And if most coaches jobs were based on some favoritism, one can better bet that this same philosophy reasonates throughout its entire program, including recruitment. We need our administrations to start putting together non-partial search committees without any prejudiced when it comes to hiring and selecting a coach. We need coaches that can take control of our programs without any outside influences, including any possible influences that could come from the school's administration. By doing that, coaches can recruit kids based on their academic and athletic capabilities, instead of some preferential selection process made up by others. It's sad when I hear individuals from HBCUs say that their coach was hired due to the influence of some group, which I'm pretty sure that same group has influenced a coach's recruitment decisions.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There are several threads on this board about how some our coaches were hired, which tells me that cronyism is still alive and well at most HBCUs. And if most coaches jobs were based on some favoritism, one can better bet that this same philosophy reasonates throughout its entire program, including recruitment. We need our administrations to start putting together non-partial seach committees without any prejudiced when it comes to hiring and selecting a coach. We need coaches that can take control of our programs without any outside influences, including any possible influences that could come from the school's administration. By doing that, coaches can recruit kids based on their academic and athletic capabilities, instead of some preferential selection process made up by others. It's sad when I hear individuals from HBCUs say that their coach was hired due to the influence of some group, which I'm pretty sure that same group has influenced a coach's recruitment decisions.

We just got over that problem in football. I hope that's not what's going on with one of the others...

YES!

A certain SWAC School has been all over my son since they found out he is taking online college courses at their school. A recruiter straight told me that my son will boost the APR. They were just trying to figure out the best fit. When I told them he would playing running back this year...the recruiter damn near busted a nut on the phone.....

But the parents are saying its the PWC's who are proactively expressing interest in their kids. The parents I've talked to actually want their kids to go to HBCUs to play sports.

I'm sure at some point we've heard how a parent talks about how their son/daughter committed to a PWI and one of us would ask, "how come he didn't go to your particular HBCU?" And the response would be we tried, but we NEVER heard back from the coach. We've all heard this before.

I’ve had parents claim some PWC schools were recruiting them hoping the hbcu school would bite. Some coaches will do their homework as staffs talk and find out the kid ain’t been offered but the parents don’t think coaches know.

In some cases a kid is a regular sized skill player who may go to a New Mexico State type school and is really no better than a FCS kid and some coaches rather recruit someone easier with the same skill set.

or some kids are at places where coaches have major influence and push the schools they feel instead of places they need. Especially a suburban school in a football rich state like Texas where the good programs with the talented rosters are normally led by PWC coaches and the hbcu coaches are coaching inner city or schools with small rosters.

And then you have some cases - hbcu grad parent has a legit FBS difference maker as an athlete and they’ll hide from the hbcu coach at all cost cause they’re enjoying the process more than the athlete. That happens constantly

I’ve had parents claim some PWC schools were recruiting them hoping the hbcu school would bite. Some coaches will do their homework as staffs talk and find out the kid ain’t been offered but the parents don’t think coaches know.

In some cases a kid is a regular sized skill player who may go to a New Mexico State type school and is really no better than a FCS kid and some coaches rather recruit someone easier with the same skill set.

or some kids are at places where coaches have major influence and push the schools they feel instead of places they need. Especially a suburban school in a football rich state like Texas where the good programs with the talented rosters are normally led by PWC coaches and the hbcu coaches are coaching inner city or schools with small rosters.

And then you have some cases - hbcu grad parent has a legit FBS difference maker as an athlete and they’ll hide from the hbcu coach at all cost cause they’re enjoying the process more than the athlete. That happens constantly
But you didn't mention the case where a kid is a legit three or four-star athlete who is open to playing at an HBCUs, whose parents want him to go to an HBCU, and gets offers from multiple Power 5 programs but doesn't hear anything from an HBCU coach after the parents have made several attempts to do so.

But you didn't mention the case where a kid is a legit three or four-star athlete who is open to playing at an HBCUs, whose parents want him to go to an HBCU, and gets offers from multiple Power 5 programs but doesn't hear anything from an HBCU coach after the parents have made several attempts to do so.

that’s a difference maker i was referring to - but if a kid who is a 4-star not getting hbcu feedback I would need to know the real story. Ain’t none of us turning a four star down.

How serious are the kids when it comes to attending an hbcu or they just want us to get in the mix and dedicate recruiting resources to say we recruited them knowing what we’re up against?

There is still hope.
Twin Volleyball Standouts Commit To Howard University
“We had to take a step back and see that we can still play at a great school and make more of a decision that is culturally-based,” said Bria Woodard.

that’s a difference maker i was referring to - but if a kid who is a 4-star not getting hbcu feedback I would need to know the real story. Ain’t none of us turning a four star down.

How serious are the kids when it comes to attending an hbcu or they just want us to get in the mix and dedicate recruiting resources to say we recruited them knowing what we’re up against?

Bingo. Valley has already had this happen a couple of times this year with flyers and everything only to get left at the alter (he was a 4 star when Valley offered)

Back