AP-NORC poll: Many youths say high school diploma is enough

SIR_GRAM

Legend

The findings alarm some experts who say young Americans don't seem to be getting the message that college pays off. Federal labor data shows a wide earnings gap between Americans who do and do not have a college degree, and unemployment rates are far lower for those with a bachelor's or master's degree.

More than half of Americans ages 13 through 29 do see college as a path to economic success, but about 4 in 10 believe a bachelor's degree prepares people only somewhat well, or even poorly, for today's economy.

As far as I'm concerned these kids are smart enough to pay attention, and were fortunate to be able to "Forecast" there future and life after high school, I our "Millennial" generation did. smh....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I think it's dependent on the field they choose. STEM fields are in need of college graduates. Those fields are driving our future.

A lot of kids would do better learning a trade than going into heavy debt pursuing a worthless degree. College is EXTREMELY expensive these days. I shake my head when I hear kids majoring in something that won't be beneficial economically or picking majors with out having a plan going forward. All that "personal growth" crap and studying what you love goes out of the window when you're facing hundreds of thousands of debt with no way to pay for it.

(Graphic: David Foster)

That is how I ended up in Texas. When I graduated college at Univ. of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), I had to relocate to Birmingham, and then I was transferred to Houston, and I have been here every since.

Thanks. It's a lot of opportunities in America. But, if you only tunnel vision. You might block your future.

That is how I ended up in Texas. When I graduated college at Univ. of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), I had to relocate to Birmingham, and then I was transferred to Houston, and I have been here every since.
I have been doing this my whole career. I started out in Tucson, AZ right after I graduated from Grambling. Worked there for a few years, moved to Huntsville, AL and worked there for a while. After Huntsville, I moved to Maryland and worked there for over fourteen years. After that, I moved to Dallas, and will be moving back to the DMV next year.

Back