Anybody wanna go smack "Big, Bad, I-A" TooLame?

The Advocate running smack...

Glenn Guilbeau
Jaguars fired up to face Tulane

MOBILE, Ala. ? Bring on Division I-A!?
Should Division I-AA Southern be excited or is that other world too uncharted to make any judgment one way or the other? Hence the double punctuation.

The Jaguars, who defeated Alabama State 32-7 here Saturday night in the Gulf Coast Classic, play their first Division I-A opponent at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in the Louisiana Superdome when they meet Tulane (0-4) in the inaugural Big Easy Classic.

Hats off to Southern Athletic Director Floyd Kerr for some excellent scheduling. Just last year at this time, he began looking into playing another game in Southern?s indoor home away from home ? also known as the Superdome and home of the Bayou Classic with Grambling. So he gets the only major college in New Orleans that plays football, and it?s 0-4 with a horrible defense and smallish linemen.

Now throw in the news out of Fort Worth, Texas. The I-AA Northwestern State Demons of tiny Natchitoches knock off I-A Texas Christian University 27-24 in overtime. Southern lost to Northwestern 30-21 in a competitive game on Sept. 1, and TCU lost to No. 4 Nebraska by just 21-7 earlier this season.

"I think our players are going to be very excited about playing Tulane," Southern coach Pete Richardson said. "That game?s been talked up ever since it was scheduled a year ago. We have a lot of players from New Orleans who played with and against some of their guys in high school."

Kerr?s target is 50,000 fans in the dome.

"There?s a lot of excitement around New Orleans about the Big Easy Classic," he said during the third quarter. "From the feedback I?m getting, we may have more than that. It?s been steadily on the rise, and I could see a lot of action this week. All the tickets have been on Ticketmaster for the last two weeks. We sold our allotment very quickly. Now it?s open season."

Open season on I-A schools?

"It would be a great achievement," said Kerr, the former assistant athletic director at I-AA Youngstown State. "We consistently beat Kent State and Akron at Youngstown, and what it brings you is credibility and helps your image."

Southern cornerback Lenny Williams, who returned an interception 66 yards for a touchdown and 32-0 lead with 7:21 to play, said there?s not a lot of difference between some I-A schools and some I-AA schools.

"Some kids in I-AA got a bad break and couldn?t get into a I-A school, so really sometimes the talent level?s even," said Williams, who finished with two interceptions and the most valuable defensive player award. "D-I schools are usually bigger, but that?s about all. Plus, we have a lot of D-I transfers."

And this just in: Southern?s offensive and defensive lines are much bigger than Tulane?s.

"Southern has some very big guys up front," Alabama State coach Lawrence Cole said. "They have a huge defensive line."

The Jaguars go 325, 290, 287, 295 and 300 on their offensive line and 260, 270, 275 and 265 on their defensive line. Tulane doesn?t come close to that and has been outmanned in every game this year.

"Oh yeah, is that right?" Williams said. "Well, we?ll be excited about Tulane, but first we?re going to enjoy this night."

Southern?s defense manhandled Alabama?s State?s passing attack, holding it to 67 yards. While Southern?s offense took a quarter or two to get rolling, the Hornets managed only one first down in the first half. But Alabama State has no one as talented as Tulane tailback/returner Mewelde Moore, a former Belaire High School standout. The Jaguars have not seen the likes of a back like Moore this year or last.

"The thing about playing a I-A school is a numbers game," Richardson said. "They have 85 scholarships. We have 64 or 65. And they are usually in a situation where their talent pool can be a little better than ours. But I feel like we can be real competitive in the game."

Richardson, by the way, can compete with anyone when it comes to game planning, and Tulane?s defensive game plans have been horrible from the outset in each of its four games. The Wave has also given up gobs of points ? 205 to be exact.

If Southern had a defense like it had in 1998 and still had wideout Michael Hayes healthy, the Jaguars might be a favorite this week.

It?s going to be interesting, particularly since a certain radio announcer at WWL in New Orleans said in August that the Wave would roll over Southern by something like 50- or 60-7.

That will surely not happen.

Here?s another sure thing. On Saturday in the dome, the team with the fewer scholarships will have the most fans.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let the smacking begin...

Guilbeau has already begun in the Advocate.

http://www.theadvocate.com/sports/guilbeau.asp?StoryID=15598

If Southern had a defense like it had in 1998 and still had wideout Michael Hayes healthy, the Jaguars might be a favorite this week.

It?s going to be interesting, particularly since a certain radio announcer at WWL in New Orleans said in August that the Wave would roll over Southern by something like 50- or 60-7.

That will surely not happen.

Here?s another sure thing. On Saturday in the dome, the team with the fewer scholarships will have the most fans.

The Jags are opening up cans of WHOMPAR$E w/o Michael Hayes... Some teams ought to be thankful

TOOLAME Your on the Clock.

Good morning PM, How was the attendance and tailgating?? Read that taitgating had some restrictions because of the security.

HEY GUYS, TALK ALL THE ISHT AND SMACK, IT'S GOOD FOR THE BOARD AND THE GAME. I'LL BE THERE. TULANE HAS BEEN GETTIN MOPPED ALL OVER THE FIELD FOR THE PAST FOUR WEEKS. THEY ACTUALLY PLAYED OK THIS SATURDAY. I WAS THERE.

HEY, PLEASE DON'T LOOSE TO TULANE. THEY HAVE A PRETTY DECENT OFFENCE BUT THEY CAN'T STOP ISHT. JUST WIN FOR US BLACK FOLK. :eek:

THANK YOU.

Bg

I wasn't in Mobile, to long of a turn-around for Sunday morning. I was at the A&M/TSU game.

I have been on the Tulane site, their smack is lame as expected. I noticed that they deleted for of my post from earlier today.

Back