Anthony Anderson charged with rape in Tennessee

buckwheat

'Kangaroo Jack' Actor Charged With Rape

'Kangaroo Jack' Actor Charged With Rape

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Anthony Anderson, the rotund comedic co-star of ``Kangaroo Jack'' and the original ``Barbershop,'' has been arrested and charged with aggravated rape while shooting a movie.

The 33-year-old actor was accused by an unidentified woman of luring her into a trailer on the set of his latest movie, ``Hustle & Flow,'' and sexually assaulting her. Also accused is the film's assistant director, Wayne Witherspoon.

Both men were charged on Wednesday after being taken into custody by the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon at the Shelby County Correctional Center, a penal farm on the outskirts of Memphis, where filming was under way for the movie.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Shular said a passer-by heard screams coming from the trailer and opened the door.

``And she ran out nude,'' Shular said.

Both suspects were released Wednesday evening after posting $20,000 bond each.

Anderson's spokesman, Allan Mayer, who specializes in celebrity crisis cases, told The Associated Press his client ``absolutely denies the heinous charges.''

``Anthony is a happily married family man who has never been accused of - no less involved in - anything remotely like this, and we are confident that when all the facts come out, he will be completely exonerated,'' Mayer said.

Mayer said it's unclear whether Anderson will return to work on the movie, but said he will likely remain in the Memphis area for the time being.

A representative for Witherspoon, 42, could not immediately be located.

Anderson, who's married with two children, was raised in Compton, Calif., and has appeared in an array of comedies, including playing one of Jim Carrey's illegitimate genius sons in 2000's ``Me, Myself & Irene.''

The roly-poly actor specializes is physical comedy - often at his own expense. He has been brutalized by Jet Li in ``Romeo Must Die,'' pummeled by Steven Seagal in ``Exit Wounds,'' crushed by a cash machine in ``Barbershop'' and menaced by a rogue marsupial in ``Kangaroo Jack.'' He also starred in the WB's short-lived sitcom ``All About the Andersons'' last year, which was a fictionalized version of his real life.

07/28/04 23:28

Re: 'Kangaroo Jack' Actor Charged With Rape

Why do our brothers keep getting caught up in these rape cases? In Anthony and Kobe's case, I hope they are innocent.

Its no tellin' what really happened. Women down that way don't have it all upstairs.

vert.anderson.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (CNN) -- Actor Anthony Anderson, who appeared in the films "Me, Myself and Irene" and "Barbershop," was charged Wednesday with aggravated rape after a woman told authorities she was assaulted on the set of a movie.

Anderson, 33, and Wayne Witherspoon, 42, both of Los Angeles, California, were taken into custody Tuesday night after the woman reported the assault, said Steve Shular, Shelby County Sheriff's Department public affairs officer.

Anderson was in Memphis shooting a movie titled "Hustle & Flow." Witherspoon was working on the film's crew.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/07/28/actor.rape.charge/index.html

buckwheat1911 said:
Why do our brothers keep getting caught up in these rape cases? In Anthony and Kobe's case, I hope they are innocent.

I heard the story this a.m.

That's what I wanna know....it's happening every other week now. One case after the other. I sure hope this is not true....I really like Anthony Anderson.

It doesn't look good, that the woman ran out nude, in front of witnesses. :smh:

Even if he didn't hit it,this is a heck of a thing to try and explain to wifey. :argue2: then :slap: can result.

When will married celebrities, and athlete's realize that they live under a different set of rules then everyday folk? When they learn that they have to be faithful to their spouses, these types of incidents will keep occuring.

If you're famous, and married, no philandering is allowed. Back in the day, you just accepted the blackmail, and paid a woman off, or she was kept to keep her mouth closed, or you secretly paid for child support.

Nowadays, if you cheat on your spouse, it's a rape beef, and if you're black, there goes your movie deals, commercials, magazine appearances (at least non-tabloid), work with kids (if you do charity work), and other channels of earning money. If you're an athlete, all of your endorsement deals.

Since the rape beef, Kobe Bryant has lost over $25 million dollars per year (well 29 mil, if you count the 4 mil for the forgive me ring) in endorsements. Bigger payout from Nike (I bet he's sorry for dumping Adidas now), Sprite is gone, McDonald's, and even Spaulding Basketball.

Wake up celebrities, and athlete's it's a new day.

NICE

D-NICE said:
When will married celebrities, and athlete's realize that they live under a different set of rules then everyday folk? When they learn that they have to be faithful to their spouses, these types of incidents will keep occuring.

If you're famous, and married, no philandering is allowed. Back in the day, you just accepted the blackmail, and paid a woman off, or she was kept to keep her mouth closed, or you secretly paid for child support.

Nowadays, if you cheat on your spouse, it's a rape beef, and if you're black, there goes your movie deals, commercials, magazine appearances (at least non-tabloid), work with kids (if you do charity work), and other channels of earning money. If you're an athlete, all of your endorsement deals.

Since the rape beef, Kobe Bryant has lost over $25 million dollars per year (well 29 mil, if you count the 4 mil for the forgive me ring) in endorsements. Bigger payout from Nike (I bet he's sorry for dumping Adidas now), Sprite is gone, McDonald's, and even Spaulding Basketball.

NICE

I concur...very good post. :tup:

I started to post this early this morning but I changed my mind. I really hope this brother is innocent. Its been all over the local news. I'm so used to seeing him acting crazy and making folks laugh, but when they showed him being released from custody, It was so strange because I have never seen him look so serious....,

I was just watching channel 3 news and more of the truth is coming out now..,

A local news station in Memphis found documents of 2 or 3 cases where the alleged victim filed harrassment charges against other males. So there is more behind this woman. Reminds me of that other situation with a celeb BBall player thats going on right now. If I don't, I'm sure someone else will find out more about this story and post it as it develops........,

There are two sides to every story........,

Interesting

Why are some of you judging him before the judicial system judges him? I guess this girl 100% correct. If she was white (and I don't know what color she is) would some of you be responding like this?

D-NICE said:

NICE

You are on point. This should explain why some celebs are so aloof and "stand offish" when they are interact with the public. Fans should understand that in today's political climate, stars are very paranoid and skeptical and they should be.

All Americans today are legally conscience than they were some 20 to thrity years ago;filing lawsuits today is a cultural phenomenon compared to the 70's and early 80's.

Any person with no scruples know that they have the slightest chance of winning some type of settlement from a jury.So they will take that chance if the oppurtunity avails itself.

And it's not just the stars who are being accused;TEACHERS,PRINCIPALS of schools are also being accused of improper conduct by "law suit conscience" ELEMENTARY STUDENTS.

I know of a teacher here in Little Rock that had to sell her home for legal fees just because some "law suit conscience" student falsely accused of improper conduct.

Welcome to the 21st century.

That's the way it is going to be for now on and forever,and people of all professionals better have some common sense when dealing with the public.
And people today should most definetly reserve judgement on anyone accused until they see and hear all of the facts.

But that is hard to do because we pull from our life experiences to reason out of what could have happen.

Man... I hope I'm not accused of anything.

pbla said:
You are on point. This should explain why some celebs are so aloof and "stand offish" when they are interact with the public. Fans should understand that in today's political climate, stars are very paranoid and skeptical and they should be.

All Americans today are legally conscience than they were some 20 to thrity years ago;filing lawsuits today is a cultural phenomenon compared to the 70's and early 80's.

Any person with no scruples know that they have the slightest chance of winning some type of settlement from a jury.So they will take that chance if the oppurtunity avails itself.

And it's not just the stars who are being accused;TEACHERS,PRINCIPALS of schools are also being accused of improper conduct by "law suit conscience" ELEMENTARY STUDENTS.

I know of a teacher here in Little Rock that had to sell her home for legal fees just because some "law suit conscience" student falsely accused of improper conduct.

Welcome to the 21st century.

That's the way it is going to be for now on and forever,and people of all professionals better have some common sense when dealing with the public.
And people today should most definetly reserve judgement on anyone accused until they see and hear all of the facts.

But that is hard to do because we pull from our life experiences to reason out of what could have happen.

Man... I hope I'm not accused of anything.

Another good post...I'm so sick of hearing/reading about our black men in the news for raping folks. They have got to be more careful in their dealings w/folks.

If he is found guilty...I can hear Big Buubba from cell block H already...

** CLANG!!! **

Well well well! Anthony Anderson, arrested on rape charges! I'm your new director, Big Bubba... and it's time for the Director's Cut!

Based on your charges, Anthony, let me tell you that Two Can Play That Game! You can relax, though. Can I call you Tony? Well, Tony... you can rest assured that there will be no Exit Wounds, even though you're about to enter a Life of steady penetration!

Awww... look at those cheeks. Stop crying, Anthony... this will last from the Cradle 2 The Grave, so you might as well stop Trippin'. You're not in Malibu, but you are definitely Bubba's ...Most Wanted. When I'm done, you'll be saying that "he's My Baby's Daddy!" Yeah, Tony... tonight, it's All About The Andersons, and you might as well think of your new home as the Barbershop, because there will definitely be some cuttin' going on.

** ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP **

Here comes *MY* Kangaroo, Jack

:lol: @ amethyst.

Girl, you are on it today, aren't you? :lmao:

Back away from your computer...NOW!!!!!!!!!! :uzi:

:lmao: :lmao:

amethyst08 said:
If he is found guilty...I can hear Big Buubba from cell block H already...

** CLANG!!! **

Well well well! Anthony Anderson, arrested on rape charges! I'm your new director, Big Bubba... and it's time for the Director's Cut!

Based on your charges, Anthony, let me tell you that Two Can Play That Game! You can relax, though. Can I call you Tony? Well, Tony... you can rest assured that there will be no Exit Wounds, even though you're about to enter a Life of steady penetration!

Awww... look at those cheeks. Stop crying, Anthony... this will last from the Cradle 2 The Grave, so you might as well stop Trippin'. You're not in Malibu, but you are definitely Bubba's ...Most Wanted. When I'm done, you'll be saying that "he's My Baby's Daddy!" Yeah, Tony... tonight, it's All About The Andersons, and you might as well think of your new home as the Barbershop, because there will definitely be some cuttin' going on.

** ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP **

Here comes *MY* Kangaroo, Jack

:lol: :bawling:

SLT said:
:lol: @ amethyst.

Girl, you are on it today, aren't you? :lmao:

Back away from your computer...NOW!!!!!!!!!! :uzi:

:lmao: :lmao:

Hey...I am bored...it is Friday. And you know how churren get when they get bored. They will say anything. :lol:

amethyst08 said:
Hey...I am bored...it is Friday. And you know how churren get when they get bored. They will say anything. :lol:

That was good though, I've got to admit. :cool:

Back