Another Shooting!

philharmonic

Living History!!!
I just heard on the radio about another shooting at a High School In New York City. I think It was MLK High School of something like that!!!

Tragedy!!! :(

Two students shot, wounded at NYC high school
January 15, 2002 Posted: 5:29 PM EST (2229 GMT)

Police gather on the scene at Martin Luther King Jr. High School where two students were shot and wounded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Two students were shot and wounded at Martin Luther King Jr. High School in Manhattan on Tuesday, the 73rd anniversary of the birth of the man for whom the school was named.

Shortly after the shooting, an unidentified male was taken into custody by police several blocks from the school. However, police later said he is not believed to be the shooter.

"There's some indication [the shootings] may have been gang-related," said Harold Levy, chancellor of the New York City school system.

Levy identified the victims as Andrel Napper, 17, and Andre Wilkins, 18, who were taken to St. Vincent's Hospital. However, the hospital said the two victims were 16.

One was shot in the back and has a perforated lung, according to a hospital spokesman. The other was shot in the upper left buttock, he said.

Both were listed in serious condition late Tuesday afternoon, but were conscious and being readied for surgery, the spokesman said.

The shooting took place on the fourth floor of the school, and police recovered a .380-caliber gun on the fifth floor. Three shell casings were found, police said.

School officials are now trying to determine how the suspect managed to get a gun into the school. Levy said metal detectors are in place at the main entrance, and other doors into the school can be opened only from the inside.

"Clearly, there was a breach of security in that somebody got in the building with a gun," he said. "We need to make sure that doesn't happen again."

After the shootings, the school was locked down and students were kept in classrooms until police could interview them.

"We heard two gunshots," one student said outside the school. "I ducked down. I ran out the school to the side door, and they brought my man, Mike, out. He was shot in the back."

Some students remained in classrooms after the incident, while other students were outside the school.

The school is on Amsterdam Avenue at 66th Street. Levy said the school has about 2,000 students.
Nothing but disrespect

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
A sign of the times.

I tell people all the time things just aint like they were back in the day. Not that I'm ancient but I graduated H.S. in 86. I remember the most thugged out dudes at our school. They would be below average by today's standards. Those guys were thugs because they had to be to survive.....today, it's cool to be a thug, just turn on B.E.T and you will see it. People wanna blame the availability on guns as the cause, and wanna enforce more gun laws. That won't solve anything...a H.S. student can't own a gun in the same manner he cannot own drugs, but they still get access to them through illegal channes.

For example, my grandfather (94), R.I.P., told me that when he was 16 you could order a gun through the Sears catalog without background checks and the like. So the problem is not access to guns, it equates to self-worth and self-esteem. If I have low value for "my" own life how in the "L" am I gonna care about some body that looks like "me".

Man, it is really Sad when you think about it. :(

Consider that January 15 is the anniversary of Dr. King's birth. Indeed this is sad.

MB, I know you and I have locked horns. But I agree with you and the lack of self-esteem and self-worth being a big problem. Yes, if one does not care about themself, how can they care about others. This problem did not arrive yesterday.

Back