Andrews has it all for JSU

Blacknbengal

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com
Barbara Gauntt / The Clarion-Ledger

s01i.jpg

Andrews led the Tigers in tackles last season and is the SWAC preseason defensive player of the year. First-year defensive coordinator Greg Johnson says Andrews is made of "range, speed, toughness, leadership ... everything you're looking for."

When Greg Johnson first arrived at Jackson State in February, he was anxious to find out if linebacker Elgin Andrews was as good as advertised.

JSU's first-year defensive coordinator got verification the following month when the Tigers opened spring practice.

"He's was everything they said he was," Johnson said. "He's got range, speed, toughness, leadership, he works hard . . . everything you're looking for. If I had three Elgins I would be all right."

Most coaches would. The 6-foot-1, 248- pound Andrews also has great instincts, surprising quickness and the ability to change directions in a hurry.

That combination of can't-miss attributes helped Andrews rack up a Southwestern Athletic Conference-leading 112 tackles last season as a junior. Fourteen of those were for losses.

He had a season-high 16 tackles against Alabama State and 15 against Alcorn State. No. 44 was in the middle of the action so much it was almost as if he somehow had planted a honing device on the ball during warm-ups.

Despite his impressive numbers, and despite being named SWAC defensive player of the week three times, Andrews somehow didn't make the coaches' first or second team all-conference team. Those same coaches voted him the best SWAC preseason defensive player this year.

Andrews realizes that's going to make him a marked man this fall, not that it concerns the unassuming senior. His goal is to be make the most of his final season, regardless.

"I may be a marked man, but they've still got to block me," said Andrews, a first team All-State selection as a senior at South Pike.

"I can't be satisfied with what I did last year," Andrews said. "I'm looking at making even more plays."

Andrews played mostly at will (weakside) linebacker last season, although he moved to inside linebacker on third down or obvious passing situations. He's starting this season off at sam (strongside) linebacker.

"That's where he can help us out best right now because of his pass coverage," Johnson said. "If I need to, I can always move him back inside."

For now that position is occupied by junior Brandon Jones. James McGowan, a redshirt sophomore, will man the other outside linebacker spot.

The twosome combined for just 15 tackles last season in limited playing time, making them somewhat of an unknown commodity heading into JSU's season opener at Southern Miss Aug. 31.

Each brings different skills to the table. At 6-0, 250 pounds, Jones has the size and strength to hold his own between the tackles. Meanwhile, the 6-3, 225 McGowan has the speed to track backs down.

"The new guys we've got are real athletic and aggressive," Andrews said. "We're going to be all right."

Johnson agrees.

"Brandon is my run-stopper," Johnson said. "He's real steady. And James has got a lot of potential. He can definitely run to the ball, and he fits well into my package."

Jones was recruited by Louisiana Tech, Nicholls State, McNeese State and Grambling State among others after recording 103 tackles as a senior at Baker High in Baton Rouge.

"I feel like I'm ready to step in and take on the position," Jones said. "I like getting in the trenches with the big guys and making plays."

McGowan, a standout running back at Hernando High, started his career at JSU as a strong safety before being moved to linebacker.

"They knew I liked to hit and they liked my size and speed," McGowan said. "They knew I liked to hit."

Jones and McGowan have each sought advice from the battle-tested Andrews thus far in practice and will likely continue to do so throughout the season.

"Elgin is our leader on defense, no doubt," Jones said. "We all look to him

The scarey part is that we have 5 LBs behind them that might be just as good.

Remember the names Marion Marks, Larry McSwain, Jason Lewis, Keithon Mosely, and this new cat from Hinds. I cant catch his name for nothing, but they say he is just as good as Elgin.

Oh well......Lets get it on

Hey, I remember Brandon Jones. He played football on the youth league team I coached, the Bandits. This is a really good kid and a dayum good football player. Yall gonna be alright with Brandon in the lineup. He was always a hard worker and would knock your azz off.

He really came on in high school after he drop some of his "baby" fat. We played him as a down lineman in youth football because of his size and his ability to drive offensive linemen into the backfield. I tried to recruit him for GSU...yall got a good kid!

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

Despite his impressive numbers, and despite being named SWAC defensive player of the week three times, Andrews somehow didn't make the coaches' first or second team all-conference team. Those same coaches voted him the best SWAC preseason defensive player this year.

This is the kind of hate and backstabbing that pisses me off about the SWAC. This could hurt this kid, but the SWAC and SWAC coaches hate JSU so much that they will take their vengance out on Elgin.

If I were the JSU AD, I would move JSU out of SWAC football for a couple of years just to show you how lifeless this conference is without its backbone school.

This much hate, cant be healthy.

Im glad Hughes got up and called out all of you buster coaches at Media Day. I wish he would have gone down the row and just backhanded every coach on the panel that didnt give this kid his props.

But just like Hughes said, you will pay and pay dearly.

Back