American Soul

This last episode (Say You Love Me) also dealt with artists, be they musicians or dancers or whatever, not getting paid. @Herbert77060, didn't you say that you once played in a band? If so, did you ever run into that problem?

This last episode (Say You Love Me) also dealt with artists, be they musicians or dancers or whatever, not getting paid. @Herbert77060, didn't you say that you once played in a band? If so, did you ever run into that problem?
Starting out we ran into that occassionally. A lot of performers would get half their money upfront when doing Chittlin Circuit club dates.

Oh. Ok. I hear that Aretha always got her money upfront too.
A lot of them did when doing those Chittlin Circuit dates.

I remember we opened for Millie Jackson in Port Arthur and Millie was suppose to get her money at the end of her first set. Old dude didn't have her money...she and her guys packed up and left.

Ok, BulldogM.ED, you are gonna have to help me out again. Who are the actors that portrays James Brown and George Clinton and Garry Shider, (the guy in the diaper)??
Big Boi (of Outkast) was playing George Clinton. Darius McCrary (the son Eddie Winslow from Family Matters) was playing James Brown. I have to watch it again to see who was playing Shider.

...I don't think there was no script for that scene. I think they were all clowning and being themselves with the characters. I would not have recognized someone playing Bootsy if he had not said sometime with regards to James kicking him out the band.....LOL

Last edited:
Big Boi (of Outkast) was playing George Clinton. Darius McCrary (the son Eddie Winslow from Family Matters) was playing James Brown. I have to watch it again to see who was playing Shider.

...I don't think there was no script for that scene. I think they were all clowning and being themselves with the characters. I would not have recognized someone playing Bootsy if he had not said sometime with regards to James kicking him out the band.....LOL

Not sure if this link will work. I found this link and it cleared up a lot of questions I had about who portrayed who.

He had me cracking up.....LOL

Me too. I thought he did an excellent job. (However, I thought he was a little chubby. I don't remember James Brown being that heavy) But forget all of that. Hats off to Mr. McCrary. Also, thumbs up to the casting directors of this show. 👍

I thought the last episode was going to be good, yet they are confusing me again with these various stories.

The killer chick, Don's security man, the young dude and the chick that is trying to get with him....I just don't understand where they are going with all of this and how real it is.

Maybe the later will evolve into Don forming Soul Train Records which eventually became Solar Records which Dick Griffey oversaw? In fact, Dick Griffey was initially a talent agent for Soul Train. He would later mentor Suge Knight and like Suge, Mr. Griffey had the same kinda intimidating presence and gave one the impression that he is not a man to mess with. That couple again makes me wonder if they would eventually become 2/3 of the trio that formed Shalamar since we know 2 of the original members were connected to Soul Train as former dancers.

I dunno, just trying to make sense of it all (shrug shoulders)...

I thought the last episode was going to be good, yet they are confusing me again with these various stories.

The killer chick, Don's security man, the young dude and the chick that is trying to get with him....I just don't understand where they are going with all of this and how real it is.

Maybe the later will evolve into Don forming Soul Train Records which eventually became Solar Records which Dick Griffey oversaw? In fact, Dick Griffey was initially a talent agent for Soul Train. He would later mentor Suge Knight and like Suge, Mr. Griffey had the same kinda intimidating presence and gave one the impression that he is not a man to mess with. That couple again makes me wonder if they would eventually become 2/3 of the trio that formed Shalamar since we know 2 of the original members were connected to Soul Train as former dancers.

I dunno, just trying to make sense of it all (shrug shoulders)...

I can live with the story lines, but I understand where you are coming from. There is a lot going on. I really like this show, but the problem I have with it is they didn't tie up a lot of the loose ends from the first season.

As far as what's real, well, I have given up on that. I am sure the writers are exercising a little poetic license here. LOL!!!!

The latest episode (Love Will Keep Us Together), I was hoping they would start tying up some of those loose ends. But, alas, that was not the case. The next episode is the season finale. There is no way in hell, they can end all those story lines in that one episode.

The latest episode (Love Will Keep Us Together), I was hoping they would start tying up some of those loose ends. But, alas, that was not the case. The next episode is the season finale. There is no way in hell, they can end all those story lines in that one episode.

@TSU/BAMA right...

When dude was told he was going to manage artists for a record label, I thought that was it. Then they lost me again.

I mean, the Killer Lady is intriguing and all but, how come we never heard all of this and other stuff before? I know Don had headaches but shooting people, jacking folks up? Is this real or typical Hollywood fabrications?

Dude trying to adopt his baby sister...interesting story but how does it all tie in to Soul Train?

The season finale (So Long Sucker) has aired. What did yall think? I was not impressed with Tone Bell playing Richard Pryor. But whatever.

I always complain that the writers of this show leaves too many loose ends untied. Well, they did tie up one loose end, the killer lady. 😄 but by doing that, they opened up another one.

The season finale (So Long Sucker) has aired. What did yall think? I was not impressed with Tone Bell playing Richard Pryor. But whatever.

I always complain that the writers of this show leaves too many loose ends untied. Well, they did tie up one loose end, the killer lady. but by doing that, they opened up another one.
I have know idea who Tone Bell was but I would have used Richard's youngest song that got booed off stage at the Apollo. He is a split image of his father, voice and everything. All he needs is a ghost writer or/and acting coach. Anyhow he would have been perfect for that role.

I've pretty much posted my thoughts throughout this thread. My only question after the last episode remains again, who was that crazy killer lady chic supposed to be? Was she a real person or did they just make her up to (in my Charlie Murphy voice) enhance the stories?

Back