Alpha faces 20 years in prison for hazing...

southsuburbs

What I Live By...
Man guilty in SMU hazing

Dallas: Frat pledge was forced to drink water until he nearly died

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, June 24, 2006

By ROBERT THARP / The Dallas Morning News

A 26-year-old Dallas man who pressured an SMU fraternity pledge to drink somuch water during an off-campus initiation ritual that he nearly died was convicted of aggravated assault Friday.
Raymond Lee put a handkerchief to his shaved head and cried after the guilty verdict was announced. Jurors in his trial will return Monday to consider Mr. Lee's punishment, which ranges from probation to 20 years in prison.

Attorneys for Mr. Lee argued that he was not guilty because he did not
realize that consuming so much water is potentially dangerous. Attorney Ray Jackson told jurors that Braylon Curry voluntarily submitted to the "water night" initiation ritual, a longtime tradition of predominantly black fraternities that Mr. Jackson said prosecutors could not understand.

"There's been 20 years of water night," he said. Mr. Jackson noted that Mr. Curry applied to the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity at SMU knowing that it would involve pledging rituals. At the time, the
fraternity chapter was strictly forbidden to perform such initiations
because of past hazing incidents, but Mr. Jackson said Mr. Curry signed up
for an "underground" initiation process that involved the traditional
pledging activities.

"Pledging is not easy. Pledging is not for everyone. There are choices that
have to be made," Mr. Jackson said. "He didn't have to pledge Alpha Phi
Alpha. He made a choice to pledge. Why? Because he wanted to be an Alpha."

But prosecutor Josh Healy said Mr. Lee should have realized that Mr. Curry
was in danger that night.

According to court testimony, the November 2003 initiation ritual inside a
northeast Dallas apartment began with orders for the fraternity pledges to
guzzle salsa and hot sauce for about an hour. After that, they were quizzed
on fraternity history and ordered to perform fraternity hymns and dances.
Mistakes were punished with orders to guzzle water.

Mr. Curry testified that Mr. Lee held a gallon jug of water to Mr. Curry's
mouth and slapped him. Later that night he collapsed and began having
seizures, nearly drowning in his vomit. He spent 10 days in the hospital,
and a doctor testified that he was close to death.

Mr. Lee had graduated from the University of Texas at Dallas at the time but was still active in local fraternity functions. While at UTD, he was
suspended from the fraternity for taking part in a hazing incident. For
punishment, he was ordered to perform community service and write a paper on the dangers of hazing.

Mr. Healy countered Mr. Lee's earlier testimony about how much the
fraternity meant to him by noting that Mr. Lee is serving probation for
stealing a pledge brother's identity and writing about $5,000 in hot checks.

"The defendant talked about how important it was to be an Alpha - it's so
strong that he stole from his own pledge brother," he said.

Seven other men have been indicted in the initiation ritual and are awaiting trial.

See my response (from the MEACpage) below:

His @ss should have gone to JAIL! He, and the other fools as well!! :mad:

After reading the following:

Prosecutors contend that Mr. Lee, who graduated from the University of Texas at Dallas but was active in local fraternity events, knew the risks he was taking. While at UTD, he was suspended from his Alpha Phi Alpha chapter for participating in hazing.

He was on probation for stealing a pledge brother's identity and writing hot checks. On Monday, that probation was revoked, resulting in the 180-day jail sentence.

GRADUATED, but was ACTIVE in LOCAL fraternity events...that means an old, ig'nant @ssed brother who still had damned "neophyte fever." I'll bet these LOCAL events didn't involve any kind of work with an ALUMNI chapter, which is where his @ss should have been! I agree with the victim's mother....he should be locked up!

This fool was ALREADY in trouble for hazing, AND (according to the latest news above,) STOLE A BROTHER'S IDENTITY! And his mom says that "he's a good person." Give me an effin' break!!

These are his mother's words in the courtroom:

As she spoke, Mr. Lee sniffled and wiped his eyes.

"I can guarantee those tears are real over there," she said. "He's really a good person, and I just beg you to know that whatever happened was not malicious. It wasn't reckless."

Not malicious? Wasn't reckless? What world is she in? I wonder if this fool wiped tears when he got caught for his PREVIOUS hazing incident.

It's fools like this "brother" (and I use the term LOOSELY) who will destroy us from inside the ranks. And for every fool like this Raymond Lee, there are others in each of the NPHC organizations. My fellow greeks, you'd better Be on lookout for your "raymond lees" before it's too late! They are cancers that will tear us apart if we don't get a handle on this thing!

Don't let the renegades destroy all that your founders worked so dilligently to build.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
^^^Unfortunately. :(

His @ss should have received 20 years in jail! Hell, deserves that for stealing another brother's identity!

Lord, when did these low-lifed criminals and social misfits infiltrate our organizations?

:smh:

I'm curious to see what will happen with the other fools. I hope they are jailed, and that chapter DE-CHARTERED for all eternity!! I'm so sick of this isht! :redhot:

AAMU Alum said:
^^^Unfortunately. :(

His @ss should have received 20 years in jail! Hell, deserves that for stealing another brother's identity!

Lord, when did these low-lifed criminals and social misfits infiltrate our organizations?

:smh:

I'm curious to see what will happen with the other fools. I hope they are jailed, and that chapter DE-CHARTERED for all eternity!! I'm so sick of this isht! :redhot:

Yeah after hearing it was his second offense I was sure he was going to jail. He got lucky.

Nowadays, I don't even participate in ANY aspect of a person becoming a member of my frat, including writing letters. This whole thing has gotten out of hand.

AAMU Alum said:
See my response (from the MEACpage) below:

His @ss should have gone to JAIL! He, and the other fools as well!! :mad:

After reading the following:

Prosecutors contend that Mr. Lee, who graduated from the University of Texas at Dallas but was active in local fraternity events, knew the risks he was taking. While at UTD, he was suspended from his Alpha Phi Alpha chapter for participating in hazing.

He was on probation for stealing a pledge brother's identity and writing hot checks. On Monday, that probation was revoked, resulting in the 180-day jail sentence.

GRADUATED, but was ACTIVE in LOCAL fraternity events...that means an old, ig'nant @ssed brother who still had damned "neophyte fever." I'll bet these LOCAL events didn't involve any kind of work with an ALUMNI chapter, which is where his @ss should have been! I agree with the victim's mother....he should be locked up!

This fool was ALREADY in trouble for hazing, AND (according to the latest news above,) STOLE A BROTHER'S IDENTITY! And his mom says that "he's a good person." Give me an effin' break!!

These are his mother's words in the courtroom:

As she spoke, Mr. Lee sniffled and wiped his eyes.

"I can guarantee those tears are real over there," she said. "He's really a good person, and I just beg you to know that whatever happened was not malicious. It wasn't reckless."

Not malicious? Wasn't reckless? What world is she in? I wonder if this fool wiped tears when he got caught for his PREVIOUS hazing incident.

It's fools like this "brother" (and I use the term LOOSELY) who will destroy us from inside the ranks. And for every fool like this Raymond Lee, there are others in each of the NPHC organizations. My fellow greeks, you'd better Be on lookout for your "raymond lees" before it's too late! They are cancers that will tear us apart if we don't get a handle on this thing!

Don't let the renegades destroy all that your founders worked so dilligently to build.

Co-sign...

I know Bruhs who have been expelled from the frat for just being there and not telling what happened. My DP famous works were: Omega is Serious Business! I treat it that way, I don't haze and will never do so. I was hazed but I don't return the ignorance.

He was no sacrificial lamb! :mad:

There were other fools just like him that were involved. That fact was revealed when they came to the campus and arrested their stupid arses back in November of 2003. This Raymond Lee imbecile was just the first to receive his sentence.

I think I mentioned up there somewhere that I was curious about what kind of punishment the other low lifes will get.

My problem with this fool (it appears that he was in the capacity of HEAD FOOL,) is that his ass was already on probation for a PREVIOUS hazing incident, he was not a graduate of SMU, and that his old ass was no longer an undergraduate, yet he was still doing stupid underground hazing schit with college brothers when he should have had his ass in an alumni chapter somewhere being a "servant of all."

This fool is no sacrificial lamb....HE IS NOT A VICTIM!!

AAMU Alum said:
He was no sacrificial lamb! :mad:

There were other fools just like him that were involved. That fact was revealed when they came to the campus and arrested their stupid arses back in November of 2003. This Raymond Lee imbecile was just the first to receive his sentence.

I think I mentioned up there somewhere that I was curious about what kind of punishment the other low lifes will get.

My problem with this fool (it appears that he was in the capacity of HEAD FOOL,) is that his ass was already on probation for a PREVIOUS hazing incident, he was not a graduate of SMU, and that his old ass was no longer an undergraduate, yet he was still doing stupid underground hazing schit with college brothers when he should have had his ass in an alumni chapter somewhere being a "servant of all."

This fool is no sacrificial lamb....HE IS NOT A VICTIM!!

AAMU Alumn,,,,,,,, eeasy there big fella. :lmao: tell us how you REALLY feel! would ya calm down? just calm down already. look, you need to restrain your outbursts and not get so irritated at little things like this.

sincerely, Bartram? :D

Bartram,

This is not a little thing. Situations like this have caused the Black Sorority and Fraternity system to be viewed as gangs. I have gotten in to many arguements with people who have compared gangs to fraternities and sorrorities. It's sickening. Masonic organizations have even become a concern.

Though I am a dedicated, loyal, and ACHIEVING member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., my prayers are with Alpha Phi Alpha. KAPSI was the first to come under the gun. There is a big difference in PLEDGING and being hazed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Guys, easy. You totally missed my attempt at sarcasm here. I was, in effect, lampooning MYSELF and my "outbursts" on here. I was being sarcastic fellas. You have to understand my helter-skelter sense of humor, which I will admit can be confusing at times.

Note the "sincerely" COMMA and question mark and big grin at the end of the reply fellas. that was intentional as if to say, "this from Bartram? ya godda be kidding me." and i was.

Back