All Enron like corp reps; Sign in(NYSE ids: WCOM,AWE,T,FON,...)

Panther88

Banned
This is so, so _ _ _. :smh:

WorldCom lying in bed w/ Arthur Andersen like Enron did previously has sent irrecoverable shockwaves throughout the already failing telecomm/wireless industry. How much of our retirements must we lose? :confused: This is severely one of the major drawbacks to working in the 'public' sector. :splat:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Moody's Investors Service Friday took the latest stab at the wounded wireless industry, delivering a grim outlook and warning of more possible credit downgrades ahead.

Moody's changed the outlook for the entire industry in the U.S. to negative and placed the majority of non-investment-grade U.S. wireless operators on review for possible downgrade. It also changed the outlook for At&t Wireless Services Inc. (AWE) and Nextel Communications Inc. (NXTL) to negative.

"...Recent announcements from Sprint PCS and two of its affiliates have renewed concern at Moody's that the market may already be more mature than expected and that what, in the second half of 2001, could previously have been interpreted as a cyclical slowdown of growth is now more secular in nature," Moody's said Friday.

One week ago, Sprint Corp. (FON) cut the full-year revenue forecast for its traditional phone and Internet business, saying net customer additions to its Sprint PCS (PCS) wireless division would fall as much as 15% below the company's previous estimates. Sprint affiliates AirGate PCS Inc. (PCSA) and Alamosa Holdings Inc. (APS) also have warned they could come up short on net subscriber additions.

During a conference call to discuss a two-notch downgrade of Sprint on Tuesday, Standard & Poor's analysts said they were taking another look at the entire wireless sector as well.

Responding to investor questions about the rating cut for Sprint Corp. (FON), S&P analyst Rosemarie Kalinowski said Tuesday the agency's outlook for the wireless sector had become increasingly negative in recent weeks.

How Much Growth Potential Left?

"I think what's happened is one: there is certainly a fear factor in place, and two, we are seeing a slowdown in subscribers," said Joe Galzerano, a high- yield telecom analyst at CIBC World Markets. "...There is still plenty of room for growth, I believe. Is there enough growth for six major national players and a handful of regional players? That's the question," he said.

What's more, wireless providers have built balance sheets based on year-after- year growth and still have significant capital expenditures to build networks for second and third generation wireless services, Galzerano said.

"And we are not quite sure what the product or content will be that will enable us to use the cell phone for data," he said.

Wireless Bonds Suffer More Selling

Wireless bonds, which already have been hard hit by selling and previous credit downgrades, lost more ground Friday.

At&t Wireless bonds fishtailed, with spreads to Treasurys initially tightening after Standard & Poor's late Thursday affirmed its ratings only to gap back out on the Moody's negative outlook.

At&t Wireless 8 1/8% notes of '12 were quoted 50 to 75 basis points wider with a spread on the bid side from 550 basis points to 575 basis points over Treasurys while Sprint's 8 3/8% notes due 2012 were quoted 20 basis points wider at 505 basis points to 485 basis points over Treasurys.

A basis points is one one-hundredth of a percentage point.

Moody's Friday revised the outlook on AT&T Wireless, whose senior unsecured rating is Baa2, to negative from stable. At&t Wireless is rated triple-B with a stable outlook by S&P.

"For non-investment grade carriers with weaker capital structures, the situation is more acute, Moody's said. "Many of the business plans, particularly of the Sprint PCS affiliates, are predicated on the existence of a larger, more robust wireless market than is likely to occur," according Moody's..

Moody's said the ratings outlook for Nextel Communications, which has a senior implied B1 and unsecured B3 rating, has been revised to negative from stable. The rating agency said that while Nextel's differentiated product will help protect the carrier near term from the slowdown in the overall sector, ultimately that slowdown accelerates the potential for increased competition as the company launches its latest generation technology networks.

Moody's also has initiated a review of the ratings of all the Sprint PCS affiliates, but not of Sprint Corp. itself, saying these companies are at the most risk from the early maturity of the industry.

Besides debt issues from AirGate and Alamosa, the Sprint PCS affiliate ratings placed on review for possible downgrade include issues from iPCS Inc. and US Unwired Inc. (UNWR).

High-yield wireless bonds were quoted Friday on a price basis of one to five points lower.

Junk wireless bellwether Nextel saw its 9 3/8% notes due 2009 trade down two points to 59 1/2 bid, 60 1/2 offered.

Other wireless junk bonds were quoted down, but few traded, traders said. The bonds that were already trading into the 20s were hurt less while higher priced wireless bonds fell more sharply.

Airgate PCS' 13 1/2% notes due 2009 were quoted down two points at 23 bid, 25 offered, and U.S. Unwired's 13 3/8% notes of 2009 were quoted down two points to 25 bid, 27 offered.

Dobson Communications Corp. (DCEL) 10 7/8% notes due 2010 were quoted at 66 bid, 68 offered, down five points, Rogers Communications Inc. (RG) 9 5/8% notes due 2011 were quoted down five points at 71 bid, 73 offered.

"The concerns (expressed by Moody's) are largely known, but we share a lot of those concerns," said Aryeh Bourkoff, a high-yield analyst UBS Warburg. "I do believe the wireless telecom sector isn't as bad as the recent deterioration experienced by the wireline telecom sector, but has enough of their own problems to cause concern in the intermediate term," he added.

He said that while companies so far have been able to retain relatively stable pricing, aggressive attempts at gaining market share may lead to pricing pressure in the next year.

"Pricing pressure and leveraged balanced sheets don't mix well," Bourkoff said.

By Nicole Bullock, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-2039; nicole.bullock@dowjones.com

(This story was originally published by Dow Jones Newswires)

Copyright (c) 2002 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Mannnnn......

I guess I need to drop AT&T stocks in the morning. Some sucker will still buy it. I'm glad you posted that stuff. I'm gonna get on this right away. Worldcomm has been out of my hands. I knew they were going down when we hire two former employees and they said that it was looking shaky over there.

This crap better get under control or I'm gonna pull all my cheddar.....

:mad:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The B.S. azz company I work for used to have Arthur Anderson as it's financial consultant. Maybe that's why we're not getting any raises or bonuses this year.

Mike, bruh, I wouldn't buy a dayam thing right now outside of anything that's associated w/ our defense dept or NASA supplier related. :smh: Lockheed has been doing well since that announcement last year. Quite well. :(

I won't say who, but, I bought 3200 shares of stock in one telecomm corp 2.5 years ago @ their 29.50$ per share (IPO price). They ballooned to ~ 36-37$ per share a few months after. They hit a 52 week low of $4.99 per share 3 weeks ago. :splat: Somebody pass me a revolver as I.... :smh: :splat: I should've taken a "slight" loss and bailed VERY early, but, most of us who fully invested were assured by analysts that things were going to turn around QUICKLY once these pdcts hit the streets of America (since it was doing well in Asia and Europe - SUPPOSEDLY :mad: ). We were assured that the stock would ceiling out @ 117$ per share or thereabouts. Well.... :smh: :splat: *cocking back the hammer and about to squeeze the trigger* :splat:

All telecomms are on notice now. :smh:

Worser.... Anything.... Pass....

George Foreman grill, send help!!!! :smh:
<b>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andersen's WorldCom story similar to Enron excuse
By DAVE CARPENTER
Associated Press
CHICAGO -- What did Arthur Andersen know, and how could it have approved financial statements full of corporate chicanery?

The questions that arose in Enron's meltdown have surfaced again with WorldCom. And while Andersen blames WorldCom for the latest debacle, some experts say the manipulation of the telecommunications giant's books should have been evident to its former auditor.

The concept is so fundamental, says accounting professor Roman Weil, that he teaches it in the second week of class at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business.

"It's basic accounting stuff," said Weil. "An auditor who looked into this would say it's wrong. Andersen said it wasn't consulted. Who knows?"

WorldCom's bookkeeping maneuvers, while involving a sum several times greater than the amount hidden by Enron, were far simpler, according to those familiar with both situations.

Enron used a complex web of partnerships to conceal more than $1 billion in debt, hedging against losses with an esoteric and bogus strategy that experts still find hard to decipher.

WorldCom, by contrast, counted $3.8 billion in basic telecom costs as long-term investments, making it look far more profitable than it was. Such capital investments can be written off over a period of as long as 40 years, meaning only a fraction of the actual cost is visible to investors on current earnings.

Arthur Bowman, editor of Atlanta-based Bowman's Accounting Report, said he couldn't fathom how Andersen could have missed it.

Andersen's response: Just as with Enron, WorldCom officials held back critical material concerning its financial dealings.

The Chicago-based firm issued a statement this week saying "important information ... was withheld from Andersen auditors by the chief financial officer at WorldCom." Andersen said the officer -- Scott Sullivan, who was fired Tuesday -- "did not tell Andersen about" the accounting in question "nor did he consult with Andersen about the accounting treatment."
</b>

XEROX!!!! Bring your behind in here too!!! *sigh*

Worser... anything... pass...

*clutching heart*

<b>
Xerox reduces 1996-2001 revenues by 2 percent
Houston Chronicle wire reports

NEW YORK -- After a report this morning that a recent Xerox Corp. audit determined the company improperly recorded more revenue than federal regulators had estimated, Xerox today said revenues for the five-year period ending 2001 have been reduced by 2 percent to $91 billion, as a result of restatement related to a change in accounting methodology.

Associated Press file
The sign for the Xerox Corporation headquarters in Stamford, Conn., is shown in this file photo. A recent Xerox Corp. audit determined that the company improperly recorded more revenue in the past five years than federal regulators had estimated when they reached a settlement with the company in April.

"Approximately $1.9 billion of revenue that was recognized over past years has been reversed and will be recognized in the company's future results, beginning in 2002," Xerox said.

The Wall Street Journal reported today that a recent Xerox audit showed it improperly recorded more revenue in the past five years than federal regulators had estimated when they reached an April settlement.

The Securities and Exchange Commission estimated in April that the company improperly listed $3 billion from 1997 through 2000.

The newspaper cited unnamed people familiar with the new audit, which looked at figures from 1997 to 2001, who said auditors found that the total amount of improperly recorded revenue over that period could be more than $6 billion.

For 1997 through 2001, the company reversed $6.4 billion of previously recorded equipment sale revenue, offset by $5.1 billion of revenue that has been recognized and reported during the same period as service, rental, document outsourcing and financing revenues.

The reversal of equipment sale revenue was larger than initially expected primarily because of a change in the company's lease accounting in Latin America from equipment sales to rental, Xerox said.

Asked about the report today before the company's action, Xerox spokeswoman Christa Carone said, "This is an issue that deals with changes in time and allocation of revenue, not fictitious actions, accounting or phony revenue. It is revenue moving from one period to the next."

The new audit was conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, which took over as Xerox's auditor after it fired KPMG LLP.

A PricewaterhouseCoopers spokesman declined comment, and KPMG officials have said they stand by their work. KPMG faces civil lawsuits related to its Xerox work.

Without admitting or denying wrongdoing, the copier company settled with the SEC in April by paying a $10 million civil penalty, the largest levied against a company for financial-reporting violations.

</b>

This is _ _ _!

I could have told you about KPMG about a year ago. My frat brother worked for them and got laid off a year and a half ago. I'm sticking with my News Corp Stock. It's safer, for right now. I'll get back to all the rest later, when it's safe.

We can't afford to blow money!

This is so, so _ _ _...

Worser... Anything... Pass.... :smh:

I'm done w/ stocks. For a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time. LOL :smh: :splat: 8 cents a share anyone? :splat: *cocking back revolver* :splat:
<b>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/01/02 9:04am

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- The Nasdaq Stock Market resumed trading in WorldCom Group Inc. (WCOME) Monday at 8:00 a.m. EDT.

Nasdaq trading in shares of WorldCom had been halted at 83 cents since Wednesday.

WorldCom's shares were trading hands at 6 cents a share in premarket trading Monday, according to Instinet.

In a press release Monday, Nasdaq said trading in WorldCom Inc.-MCI Group ( MCITE) remains halted, pending the receipt of additional information on the status of its dividend payment.

Nasdaq trading in shares of MCI Group has been halted at $1.68 since Wednesday.

Last week, WorldCom's audit committee discovered that $3.8 billion in expenses were improperly booked as capital expenditures, forcing a massive restatement and throwing the company's survival into question.

WorldCom's chief financial officer, Scott Sullivan, was fired and David Myers, the company's controller, resigned.

MCI Group is a soon-to-be-eliminated tracking stock established by WorldCom in 2001 to reflect performance of its consumer-phone business, as reported by Dow Jones Newswires.

Web sites: http://www.nasdaq.com and http://www.wcom.com

-Jason Philyaw; Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5400

(This story was originally published by Dow Jones Newswires)

Copyright (c) 2002 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

All Rights Reserved

WorldCom Employee over here. Hellllooooo....

Broke as hell

No 401K

If I see that damn CEO....Ima kick his ass

The WCOM stock is trading at .06 a share.

Hey if you want to get rich, you mihgt want to jump in. Hell if it goes to $1, you will make almost 20 times what you invested. You might want to wait to see if they declare bankruptcy though. Just a tip.

Clinton MS-WorldCom Headquarters....WorldCom CEO John Sigmore was nearly killed this morning outside of his office when a disgruntled employee hit him in the head with a smoked turkey and a JSU seatback chair. Sigmore says he was blindsided by someone that kept saying, "here I come, you know what you better do." Sigmore says thats the last thing he remembers hearing before smelling smoked meat.

WorldCom security and police are looking for the culprit. All evidence is pointing towards an employee that left his computer on logged on to "The SWACPAGE" an unauthorized website. That same emplyee was seen slowly speeding away in a raggedy red probe. The investigation is still pending.

LOL@GetReady. Man, I put this post up JUST for you exclusively! LOL I know 'bout that HQ in Jaxon mane... :smh: I've already signed in and have this revolver in my lap ready to :splat:.

But still, this mess ain't no laughing matter. It's sending shockwaves all throughout the telecomm corridor. Is there a rumormill of another one of the big 3 possibly purchasing or maybe one of the RBOCs? (hoping so!)

Panthro and GR.....

I just got wind of some info. Worldcomm may get bailed out by this company that I know. I really know this company, ok! See this company has important equipment at the Worldcom Houston International Teleport. Well, I was just told that if I had some money. Go buy all that 8 cent crap I can buy.....

I don't know, but I'm gonna wait until Wednesday to see what happens. Today half of the trading done was with Worldcom Stock. Check out the link that Panthro had up there and you will see what I mean.

Back