Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Revealed

Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

Regardless of who negotiated for either school, who signs an incomplete contract. You gotta be a bonafide, moronic idiot to sign a contract with terms missing, to be later added to the contract. I simply don't believe that Alcorn didn't see Gram's payout before they signed. I have an even harder time believing Alcorn signed before Gram's payout was put in writing.

Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

Alcorn would not have cleared $230K if they held the game at home. How much are Alcorn single game tickets? I don't think they are even $20. Alcorn and Grambing would be lucky to draw 15K in Lorman. $20 x 15,000 is only $300K and that is before expenses. Alcorn can't worry about what GSU is getting. They need to worry about Alcorn. Classics are good for HBCUs and the CCC is one of the most important classics in the nation. Let's not complain. Let's just support. I would hope that Brown did the math before signing the contract.

Alcorn would not have cleared $230K if they held the game at home. How much are Alcorn single game tickets? I don't think they are even $20. Alcorn and Grambing would be lucky to draw 15K in Lorman. $20 x 15,000 is only $300K and that is before expenses. Alcorn can't worry about what GSU is getting. They need to worry about Alcorn. Classics are good for HBCUs and the CCC is one of the most important classics in the nation. Let's not complain. Let's just support. I would hope that Brown did the math before signing the contract.

And why wouldn't the GSU and ASU have drawn no more than 15,000 at Alcorn? And yes, I refuse to believe Brown or the AD signed knowing GSU was getting more...It'll come out.. U can believe that!

And why wouldn't the GSU and ASU have drawn no more than 15,000 at Alcorn? And yes, I refuse to believe Brown or the AD signed knowing GSU was getting more...It'll come out.. U can believe that!

And when it does come out, what Alcorn fans gone do about it? Boycott?:noidea: Whether dumb or not, the President made the decision and there's really not much Alcorn fans can do about it.
Now if I was a Braves fan, I'd be upset because that's extra money to have to travel to see a game I should've been seeing at home.

I do not think this was a good decision especally for Alcorn to give up a home game. If you subtract the cost of transportation, food, and lodging for their band and football team they are not making that money on this deal. This is the main reason why JSU stop participating in these classics because most of the classic organizers required the band to particpate and only pay out $200,000 - $300,000 dollars.

When Classic Committees are looking for schools they normally want Southern U., Grambling, Florida A&M or Tenneessee State. The Mississippi schools (and everyone else) are secondary thoughts. I know it is not fair but life is not fair.

Alcorn would not have cleared $230K if they held the game at home. How much are Alcorn single game tickets? I don't think they are even $20. Alcorn and Grambing would be lucky to draw 15K in Lorman. $20 x 15,000 is only $300K and that is before expenses

But you're forgetting about money from parking (reserved, tailgating, and general admission), concessions in the stadium, as well as money from places like the gas station, bookstore, and the cafeteria. We could have cleared $230,000 after expenses.

If they don't pay within parameters, I'm sure Grambling will take legal action.

This is run by the Indiana Black Expo. They will not be depending on the attendance of this classic to fulfill the financial obligations to the schools.

Not Cleo!

I do not think this was a good decision especally for Alcorn to give up a home game. If you subtract the cost of transportation, food, and lodging for their band and football team they are not making that money on this deal. This is the main reason why JSU stop participating in these classics because most of the classic organizers required the band to particpate and only pay out $200,000 - $300,000 dollars.

I think JSU made a wise decision... Grambling (imo) only needs the SFC and the Bayou Classic. The Port City Classic was cool because it was basically a home game for us in Shreveport to open the season. The mistake we made with that one (imo) was to play Alcorn there instead of a neutral site opponent and keep Alcorn as home and home.

Jsu doesn't go to classics because no one invites them. They just do not have a brand that interest people outside of Memphis and possibly Chicago and they don't travel well. There isn't much of a difference between Alcorn and Jackson State outside of Jackson Mississippi as it relates to football.

Jsu doesn't go to classics because no one invites them. They just do not have a brand that interest people outside of Memphis and possibly Chicago and they don't travel well. There isn't much of a difference between Alcorn and Jackson State outside of Jackson Mississippi as it relates to football.
uh oh!

:lol:

You forgot about Mississippi Valley. They've been invited to a few classics before. :lol: :emlaugh:

They drew under 5K the last time the 2 teams played at Alcorn.

:xeye:
I think JSU made a wise decision... Grambling (imo) only needs the SFC and the Bayou Classic. The Port City Classic was cool because it was basically a home game for us in Shreveport to open the season. The mistake we made with that one (imo) was to play Alcorn there instead of a neutral site opponent and keep Alcorn as home and home.

The Grambling/La Tech game was a huge success I would've thought u guys would have stayed with that local in state opponent format..Alcorn isnt a school that has been known to travel very well..

More non factual BS rhetoric and I guess SU has a brand that interest people football wise :crazy:...:smh: this foolishness..

Last edited:

If Alcorn isnt playing SU or JSU they are not pulling in 15K, I wil give them Homecoming but even that is a maybe...they tend to have more in the tailgate area than actually in the stadium!

:xeye:

The Grambling/La Tech game was a huge success I would've thought u guys would have stayed with that local in state opponent format..Alcorn isnt a school that has been known to travel very well.

Actually the intent (of Lin Dawson) was to make the PCC a game that would feature Grambling against a regional mid-major (FBS) opponent. An admirable idea (IMO). However, the challenge for Dawson was getting an FBS team to agree to playing in the game in Shreveport with the additional challenge of schools accepting the fact that they (as an FBS school) would actually be the visiting team. The fans (despite the financial terms presented) didn't take too kindly to being the visiting team to a FCS opponent.

The last time they played Grambling on campus was the Katrina game played on Dec.3rd after football season had long ended and it draw 9,000 fans. The last time they played in Sept. during football season at Alcorn that game draw just under17,000.

:lol:

The last time they played Grambling on campus was the Katrina game played on Dec.3rd after football season had long ended and it draw 9,000 fans. The last time they played in Sept. during football season at Alcorn that game draw just under17,000.

Where did they play in 2009, and 2007?

Correction. In 2010 We played Alcorn in Grambling on Oct 16. I remember this because that was the same day as the epic boom box classic battle between JSU and SU in Jackson... The last time we played on Alcorns campus was Sept 1, 2007,, i can post a clip if need be.....

Last edited:
I don't remember what happen in 2009.

I think 2009 was the year we were supposed to play Grambling as an "out of conference" game due to the 7 game mandate. But the game ended up getting dropped because Gambling ended up getting an offer to play either a classic or a FBS school.
Our it could be that we just didn't have to play then that year and didn't due to the mandate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Where did they play in 2009, and 2007?

2005 at Alcorn (Dec.3rd)
2006 at Gram (Dec. 2nd)
2007 at Alcorn (Sept.1st)
2008 at Gram (Sept 6th)
2009 Did not play
2010 at Gram (Oct 16th)

Last edited:

I'm glad someone see this as well..JSU don't travel if it ain't Memphis... I'm trying to figure where they go by the bus loads and talking about others traveling. Yeah, we might travel like years past but neither does JSU.

Why would any school use its own money and get final payment after the game? All monies should be in the bank or a line of credit signed to ensue both schools get paid. Knowing the history of GSU, you have to pay them before they leave home. Normally, JSU, SU and GSU could demand to get paid up front, according to what I have read up to this point, it appears money has to be made before the schools get paid.

Back