Alcorn is rolling, JSU is struggling: how the rivalry got to this point

No reference to the travesty of a termination for Rick Comegy? Harold Jackson wasn't a great hire, but firing a coach off the heels of a championship game appearance is the real "root cause" in this story.
No its not. It was time to move on from Comegy. The root cause of this issue is in this order.

1. The appointment of Carolyn Meyers
2. The hiring of Vivian Fuller
3. The Hiring of Harold Jackson
4. The unnattractiveness of the JSU job during the 2015-2016 time period because of all the transition.

Tony Hughes will get his third year and its up to him on what happens to him. Vivian Fuller single handily destroyed our athletic program and would have destroyed the school if she was given a few more years to continue her reign of terror.

No reference to the travesty of a termination for Rick Comegy? Harold Jackson wasn't a great hire, but firing a coach off the heels of a championship game appearance is the real "root cause" in this story.

I don't think you will find many JSU grads who wanted to keep Comegy. It was a great day when he was fired. You don't get to coach 8 years in Jackson and win only one championship. He even had the chance in 2010 to win the HBCU national title and mucked that up too. It was time for Comegy to go for more reasons than one but more thought should have been given to the transition. Back then, we pretty much had the number one defense every year. We fired Comegy and had the worst defense in the nation the next year.. LOL Comegy may not have been the man to lead us but we should have kept a large part of the coaches we had. We only kept one!

Our problems go way back... but in the end we ALL know that JSU will fix it. Let's just hope that once we fix it, we don't destroy our own program again. With the talent our Recruiter coach and Germany have brought in, it shouldn't take long. If I told you right now that I predicted a 2-9 season for JSU back in the spring, you wouldn't believe me..lol but I will say this, I knew back then that you could not go 3-8, lose great players like Jovancy, etc.. and replace them with freshmen. But in the words of Kendrick Lamar: We gone be alright!

Not only does Alcorn seem to have a better athletic program than JSU .... I've seen some pretty convincing arguments that Alcorn is a stronger school academically. JSU is definitely the best funded HBCU in Mississippi though.

Not only does Alcorn seem to have a better athletic program than JSU .... I've seen some pretty convincing arguments that Alcorn is a stronger school academically. JSU is definitely the best funded HBCU in Mississippi though.

Alcorn is not stronger than JSU in any shape or form. Name one thing they are ranked ahead of us in besides Ag and Nursing... for obvious reasons... LOL Athletically? really? ACADEMICALLY? That aint even close. not even... You are the first person I have ever seen even TRY to make either argument. Alcorn knows their place. Right now they are just happy to have a football program better than ours.

The Curse of Comegy....Rick ain't playing with JSU for doing him so wrong

Alcorn is not stronger than JSU in any shape or form. Name one thing they are ranked ahead of us in besides Ag and Nursing... for obvious reasons... LOL Athletically? really? ACADEMICALLY? That aint even close. not even... You are the first person I have ever seen even TRY to make either argument. Alcorn knows their place. Right now they are just happy to have a football program better than ours.

And right now can you name over two sports that JSU is better than Alcorn RIGHT NOW? Not during the Cold War but RIGHT NOW

Show me a year when Alcorn finished above JSU in the Commish Cup race...

lets end this stupid discussion quickly.

I never seen Alcorn or JSU campus so I wouldn't know. And academically they say Alcorn attract stronger and more serious students .... not an argument about rankings

Well I know we suffer from doing coach Jones wrong at AAMU. Look I was the main one wanted coach Jones gone, but I had no idea we would end up with a sorry azz coach like Spady.

Reactions: J C

Well I know we suffer from doing coach Jones wrong at AAMU. Look I was the main one wanted coach Jones gone, but I had no idea we would end up with a sorry azz coach like Spady.

Jones is laughing because Spady ruined the series with SU Pv and Alcorn...losing games all over the place

No its not. It was time to move on from Comegy. The root cause of this issue is in this order.

4. The unnattractiveness of the JSU job during the 2015-2016 time period because of all the transition.

Tony Hughes will get his third year and its up to him on what happens to him. Vivian Fuller single handily destroyed our athletic program and would have destroyed the school if she was given a few more years to continue her reign of terror.
You nailed it!! In THAT order!

It's called putting people in-charge who are clueless and like to go against the grain. JSU's immediate-past leadership is like Donald Trump Presidency. For the first few months in the White House, Donald Trump thrived on President Obama's past success, but once his bizarre policies are in full affect, some of his own supporters will be completely done with him. I believe we just witnessed a shift of that in the recent election with Democrats sweeping the gubernatorial elections.

The Clarion Ledger is making excuses for Tony Hughes. Hughes is not head coaching material.
I said the same thing. Dude just can't coach worth shit. But because he can't from MSU ur right the clarionledger is making excuses for him. Hugh kellenburger is behind this

It's called putting people in-charge who are clueless and like to go against the grain. JSU's immediate-past leadership is like Donald Trump Presidency. For the first few months in the White House, Donald Trump thrived on President Obama's past success, but once his bizarre policies are in full affect, some of his own supporters will be completely done with him. I believe we just witnessed a shift of that in the recent election with Democrats sweeping the gubernatorial elections.

Meyers is nothing like Trump. She did everything right except she hired Fuller.

If some of ya'll like Comegy so much, why dont you hire him. Im not afraid of Comegy on the opposing sideline. So that should tell you something.

Meyers is nothing like Trump. She did everything right except she hired Fuller.

All I'm going to say, Meyer's home state is Virginia. She grew up in the Tidewater Area, which is enough information for me. IMO, many Blacks in Virginia have a lot of book sense, but very little practical knowledge. In order words, they lack the ability to understand how things work in real life applications. The difference is Trump has no book sense as well as no practical knowledge.

Last edited:
I don't think you will find many JSU grads who wanted to keep Comegy. It was a great day when he was fired. You don't get to coach 8 years in Jackson and win only one championship. He even had the chance in 2010 to win the HBCU national title and mucked that up too. It was time for Comegy to go for more reasons than one but more thought should have been given to the transition. Back then, we pretty much had the number one defense every year. We fired Comegy and had the worst defense in the nation the next year.. LOL Comegy may not have been the man to lead us but we should have kept a large part of the coaches we had. We only kept one!

Our problems go way back... but in the end we ALL know that JSU will fix it. Let's just hope that once we fix it, we don't destroy our own program again. With the talent our Recruiter coach and Germany have brought in, it shouldn't take long. If I told you right now that I predicted a 2-9 season for JSU back in the spring, you wouldn't believe me..lol but I will say this, I knew back then that you could not go 3-8, lose great players like Jovancy, etc.. and replace them with freshmen. But in the words of Kendrick Lamar: We gone be alright!

Not to put to fine of a point on it, but it would seem that you don't get to coach no amount of years and win anything since his firing.

Robert Hughes and James Bell didn't win you anything after y'all meased over James Carson and clearly you guys have fallen back into that same pattern of hiring and firing because of unrealistic idea of where you stand in the SWAC right now.

See that's why we did go through 8 years of mediocrity after we didn't renew Petes contract. We understood quickly that we suck, and after our previous AD made a bad hire we recognize it, fixed it and made a smart choice at a reasonable cost.

Not to put to fine of a point on it, but it would seem that you don't get to coach no amount of years and win anything since his firing.

Robert Hughes and James Bell didn't win you anything after y'all meased over James Carson and clearly you guys have fallen back into that same pattern of hiring and firing because of unrealistic idea of where you stand in the SWAC right now.

See that's why we did go through 8 years of mediocrity after we didn't renew Petes contract. We understood quickly that we suck, and after our previous AD made a bad hire we recognize it, fixed it and made a smart choice at a reasonable cost.

What did JSU do to James Carson?

https://onnidan.com/99-00/news/jsu1008.htm
Jackson State University Mourns The Passing Of James Carson
October 8, 1999
The Jackson State University family mourns the passing of longtime football coach James"Big Daddy" Carson. Carson, who stepped downed as the Tigers' head football coach in Mayof this year because of health reasons, passed away at12:12 a.m., Thursday, October 7. He was 59.

Back