Alcorn dismisses leading scorer

Blacknbengal

Alcorn dismisses leading scorer

Junior center Cook broke too many team rules, Whitney says
By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Alcorn State center Lee Cook was dismissed from the team Wednesday for repeated violations of team rules.

The 6-foot-10 junior was the Braves' leading scorer (16.7 ppg.) and rebounder (6.9 rpg). He ranked fifth and fourth, respectively, in the Southwestern Athletic Conference in those categories.

"He's gone," Alcorn State coach Dave Whitney said Wednesday following practice. "He broke too many team rules. It's unfortunate that this situation had to happen.

"It's a big loss. It will hurt us height-wise, scoring-wise and rebounding-wise. But we'll survive. Rules are made to be kept. You can't allow someone to constantly break those rules and not do anything about it."

Cook didn't accompany the team on its trip to Alabama this past weekend. Alcorn beat Alabama A&M Saturday and lost to Alabama State Monday to move to 5-15 overall and 3-5 in the SWAC.

He was injured in practice earlier in the week, and he informed Whitney there was no reason for him to make the trip if he wasn't going to play.

Whitney informed the Omaha, Neb., product of his decision Wednesday in a meeting held along with athletic director Robert Raines.

JUCO transfer Rhau-Chavis Landfair, 6-10, will replace Cook in the starting lineup, Whitney said.

Cook has been in and out of Whitney's doghouse since arriving on The Reservation three years ago. He averaged 9.8 points. 4.6 rebounds and 1.2 blocked shots per game last year as a sophomore playing behind Walter Harper and Marcus Fleming.

In the SWAC Tournament championship game against Alabama State, Cook had 16 points, five rebounds and three blocked shots, helping Alcorn to a narrow victory that sent the Braves to the NCAA Tournament.

Young, dumb and full of.....!

Youth:smh: He will realize later on life the mistake he made by not abiding by the rules. I guess he did'nt want the coach to punk him out. Now he has punked his self out of a college degree.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have seen his teams for years. There were very disciplined. In a USAToday article that I read, Whitney said that he does not have a democracy.

This is sad. He was the main reason why Alcorn gave us so much hell last year.

I don't know all the details but I hope he gets it together. Now that I think about it, Alcorn beat AAMU without him? :eek:

That's The Whiz

I've seen him do it years ago to a very good player from Natchez who did not want to follow his rules. He does not care how good a player is.

Re: That's The Whiz

Originally posted by ALCORNITE 86
I've seen him do it years ago to a very good player from Natchez who did not want to follow his rules. He does not care how good a player is.
And that's why he is a good coach... Same rules for everyone.

CHILDREN!!!!!

KIDS that age (including MY OWN) when they were that age are the dumbest creatures on GOD'S green earth. They think that every adult they know or meet does not have 'walking around sense'.

They don't know isht about life or anything else at that age. He'll remember that day for the rest of his life everytime he ask someone 'Will they have fries with that order' or 'Do you want to Super Size that order'?

Let's hope the young man can get himself together and straighten his life out. I hope he realizes that we are a society that lives and survives by a set of rules and standards that we govern ourselves

I knew Cook was on the way out. He was smoking a cigarette in front of Whitney after our game. Plus his background is questionable.

Kudos to Whitney. It takes a strong leader to dismiss his bread and butter. If a coach doesn't have discipline, he really doesn't have a team.

I hope the other guys are taking notes,Coach Whitney does not play that mess.He has sent a many a packing over the years.That is the reason the all-american from D.C. went back home last year,he wanted to play by his own rules.

:tophat: way to go coach.

He might have waited too long. I know he wanted to give the young man chances to get it together, but I wonder how his action affected team chemistry and performance.

Anyway...I'm sure Whitney handled it as best he knew how. Young man had to be shown that the world has consequences and repercussions!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME. COOK WAS ALWAYS ON THE EDGE. HE WAS TOO MUCH OF AN INDIVIDUAL IN A TEAM GAME.

DOOR CLOSES....DOOR OPENS

Back