Alabama State Board votes to immediately suspend President Boyd

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Alabama State University's Board of Trustees met Friday afternoon with the purpose of discussing the university's budget but instead voted to immediately suspend its president.

ASU President Gwendolyn Boyd was stuck with the uncomfortable task of taking roll call votes from the trustees, who voted 8-6 to place her on administrative leave. The board charged that Boyd, who's been on the job less than three years, has lost their confidence.

The meeting at the ASU Acadome was packed as two board members went back and forth about whether it was a "regular meeting" or a "special called meeting". The difference would be key as the distinction determines whether new business (Boyd's status) could be added to the agenda.

New trustee Tiffany McCord was sworn in, and within minutes of her being welcomed to the board, a vote was taken to allow new business to the agenda.

http://m.wbrc.com/myfoxal/db_330638/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Y5VKu2k7

Damn, Bama State!

What's wrong now? It's obvious the board has problems with Boyd, but how do you ASU folks feel about this? Was this necessary?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
First JSU, now Bama State. What's wrong with these female presidents at HBCUs???
They are being targeted bro. They are in the know of a larger state driven plan by republican governors. Wake up people. The evidence is already in front of you...just do the research. Btw....Myers and Boyd were close. Talked alot. This is getting serious people.

They are being targeted bro. They are in the know of a larger state driven plan by republican governors. Wake up people. The evidence is already in front of you...just do the research. Btw....Myers and Boyd were close. Talked alot. This is getting serious people.

HBCUs have always been targeted with male and female presidents. It has to be something else. Southern released Dr. Mason because he decided to side with the State on merging the SUBR Chancellor's position into the SU System President position, which would have given him more power and control over SUBR. Once he made that decision, which went against the Board's wishes, he was good as gone. Dr. Mason did not leave Southern via some scandal or some mismanagement of funds. He pretty much left on good terms. I'm not sure if Dr. Meyers would ever get another position as a HBCU president, since this was her second time being released from a HBCU due to financial reasons.

Last edited:
I do not know what is happening at Alabama State but understand this. State elections are at times more important and presidential elections. These governors and state legislators have more of an impact than politicians on the federal level. The same can be said for local politicians.

South Carolina - SSCU. State legislature attacked them severely.

Georgia - Paine College. State legislature attacked them.

North Carolina - several. State legislature and Governor submitted bill to railroad colleges and take them over.

Alabama - ASU. Board driven by legislature is attacking leadership at school.

Mississippi - JSU. IHL driven by legislature is trying to derail all progress school made in enrollment.

All of the southern states are putting forth bills that attack our schools. Forgot to put what happened with Louisiana state schools as well.

Actually, Jindal attacked all public institutions of higher learning. Governor Edwards have done his best in restoring as much funding to higher education in Louisiana, but Louisiana is led by a dumbass Republican legislature. Governor Edwards even tried to get them to pass some tax measure to cover this year $313 million dollar deficit. I'm surprised that he was able to reduce Louisiana budget deficit from almost $2 billion when Jindal left office to $313 million. By next year, Governor Edwards should have at least closed the budget deficit and things should be getting back to normal. Governor Edwards has committed to more funding for Louisiana colleges and universities. Only good things can happen when a state elects a Democratic for its governor.

Louisiana budget deficit to hit $313 million -- bigger than previously thought, meaning more cuts

Specifically, Edwards was asking the Legislature to agree to raise an additional $320 million at the end of its last legislative session in the spring --- which would have been enough to cover the $313 million deficit estimate that will be announced Friday.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/10/louisiana_budget_deficit_bigge.html

Last edited:
This is my point Jag89. All of these Republican governors in the southern states have this planned agenda to destroy HBCU's. All of them have put forth plans in the past 3 years to accomplish this. We are just seeing the strategy being plaid out now. Now that I understand what's going on behind the scenes with JSU, this thing is part of a larger plan across the board.

While this is certainly true in a lot of cases my problem I have understanding all this is that in a lot of these cases everything is all gravy (schools budget increase , student enrollment increase etc) until somebody gets greedy or steps on the wrong people toes.

Just how is that the big plan of the white man?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm like Bluedog, we have to be conscious of the politics that goes on in these southern red states, which is where 90% of our HBCUs are located. We shoot ourselves in the foot when we hire people that think that everything is just gravity. Also, Louisiana has a Democratic Governor thanks to Jindal. I give Jindal credit for one thing, at least he didn't discriminate when it came to budget cuts.

The millennial generation says you are trying to make them feel guilty be asking them to vote to help get these old racist republicans out of office. They like getting treated bad by these conservatives. Oh well. What you say @Kendrick ? Just vote stop the guilt treat huh?

The millennial generation says you are trying to make them feel guilty be asking them to vote to help get these old racist republicans out of office. They like getting treated bad by these conservatives. Oh well. What you say @Kendrick ? Just vote stop the guilt treat huh?

I had to shut one of them down today on an essence facebook post when they were trying to pass off the behavior of white racist as a result of the presidential election as if it came out of the blue.

The dude named JAG89 has female issues and it continues to rear it's ugly head. The FIRST thing out of his post was "what's wrong with these females".

While this is certainly true in a lot of cases my problem I have understanding all this is that in a lot of these cases everything is all gravy (schools budget increase , student enrollment increase etc) until somebody gets greedy or steps on the wrong people toes.

Just how is that the big plan of the white man?
I agree. I wasn't going to comment but you said it right buddy. What people don't understand even pertaining to jsu is IHL really didn't have much to do with Myers and her desision. Jsu alumni along with Myers stubborn ways drew her away. People quick to blame white people but often times we as blacks just don't get the job done or are arrogant to a certain extent and want listen to advice. Take Dr. Glover for example, she's open minded, doesn't mind advice, surrounded herself with quality execs with one being Dr. Mark G. Hardy who is her Provost and she is doing well at TnSU. People keep blaming IHL for Myers but Myers did this to herself because what she did with the reserve was justified. Schools use there reserve all the time, they might have had a plan to replace them a bit quicker than jsu but schools do use there reserve which is like a rainy day fund. SO that is not why Myers resign. IHL wasn't going to fire her because they would owe her $750,000. She resigned because with all the distractions with the Financial issues along with the increasing lost of support from alumni as a result of the many lawsuits and etc. It would have been almost nearly impossible for her to have gotten anything done after the fact and would have probably resulted in a vote of no confidence sooner if not later. But jsu along with bama state will be fine. The alumni of both these great institutions must continue to monitor and stay involved within the daily operations and not just an annual homecoming checkup. Dr.Myers biggest down fall was her relationship with Dr. Fuller, dictatorship and her judgement in the hiring process. She just didn't surround herself with quality execs; granted Dr. Renick, David Hoard, Dr. Vivian Fuller, Michael Thomas, though Sandford is not an exec he was Myers band director at Norfolk and is no way suited to be dir of bands for JSU music program and I would add Wheeler Brown to the mix but he's actually a pretty good guy. He cant do more than Myers is allowing him to especially since Fuller is still basically managing the athletic dept.. Most of the qualified people either left because of her dictatorship; granted Jason Cable. Or they were fired by Myers because they wouldn't let her dictate to them like there were puppets; granted Dr. Chaney and Ms.Jackson in the ticket office. Other than that, Dr. Myers was a blessing to JSU. There were many factors that made it a bit difficult for Myers to have continued the growth without legislative support. One was the fact JSU was/is still paying the mortgage on the Reddix building and also the honors dorm. And for you JSU alums im sure you know where the honors dorm is, at this exact moment. (it doesn't even exist). So as you can see Dr. Myers inherited quite a bit of responsibilities. Am I saying there couldn't have been better management going on, NO. But we cant overlook the entire picture. On a positive note under Myers tenure the endowment went from $12m under Mason to $52m under Myers. Some of these other HBCU's might have such large reserve fund but check there endowment and see should JSU and BAMA State be coming out of your mouth. I cant comment on Dr. Boyd because I dnt know what really happened there but I do know both schools will rise again..

Last edited:
The dude named JAG89 has female issues and it continues to rear it's ugly head. The FIRST thing out of his post was "what's wrong with these females".

Now this is some retarded crap right here. WTH does anyone having anything for or against females have to do with the state of HBCUs. Jayrob is another example why our HBCUs are under attack without anyone of some common sense to see it. IMO, I think he really wish he was born a female for him to actually say some crazy crap like that. Honestly, I hope no one from JSU listens too him because he honestly thinks that it was my words on this board that got Meyers in trouble with the IHL Board.

Last edited:
I agree. I wasn't going to comment but you said it right buddy. What people don't understand even pertaining to jsu is IHL really didn't have much to do with Myers and her desision. Jsu alumni along with Myers stubborn ways drew her away. People quick to blame white people but often times we as blacks just don't get the job done or are arrogant to a certain extent and want listen to advice. Take Dr. Glover for example, she's open minded, doesn't mind advice, surrounded herself with quality execs with one being Dr. Mark G. Hardy who is her Provost and she is doing well at TnSU. People keep blaming IHL for Myers but Myers did this to herself because what she did with the reserve was justified. Schools use there reserve all the time, they might have had a plan to replace them a bit quicker than jsu but schools do use there reserve which is like a rainy day fund. SO that is not why Myers resign. IHL wasn't going to fire her because they would owe her $750,000. She resigned because with all the distractions with the Financial issues along with the increasing lost of support from alumni as a result of the many lawsuits and etc. It would have been almost nearly impossible for her to have gotten anything done after the fact and would have probably resulted in a vote of no confidence sooner if not later. But jsu along with bama state will be fine. The alumni of both these great institutions must continue to monitor and stay involved within the daily operations and not just an annual homecoming checkup. Dr.Myers biggest down fall was her relationship with Dr. Fuller, dictatorship and her judgement in the hiring process. She just didn't surround herself with quality execs; granted Dr. Renick, David Hoard, Dr. Vivian Fuller, Michael Thomas, though Sandford is not an exec he was Myers band director at Norfolk and is no way suited to be dir of bands for JSU music program and I would add Wheeler Brown to the mix but he's actually a pretty good guy. He cant do more than Myers is allowing him to especially since Fuller is still basically managing the athletic dept.. Most of the qualified people either left because of her dictatorship; granted Jason Cable. Or they were fired by Myers because they wouldn't let her dictate to them like there were puppets; granted Dr. Chaney and Ms.Jackson in the ticket office. Other than that, Dr. Myers was a blessing to JSU. There were many factors that made it a bit difficult for Myers to have continued the growth without legislative support. One was the fact JSU was/is still paying the mortgage on the Reddix building and also the honors dorm. And for you JSU alums im sure you know where the honors dorm is, at this exact moment. (it doesn't even exist). So as you can see Dr. Myers inherited quite a bit of responsibilities. Am I saying there couldn't have been better management going on, NO. But we cant overlook the entire picture. On a positive note under Myers tenure the endowment went from $12m under Mason to $52m under Myers. Some of these other HBCU's might have such large reserve fund but check there endowment and see should JSU and BAMA State be coming out of your mouth. I cant comment on Dr. Boyd because I dnt know what really happened there but I do know both schools will rise again..

Honestly, I think Meyers was way over her head as a university president. Her academic background is engineering and never have I've heard of her working her way up to the level of university president, such as working as the Dean of Engineering, Vice Chancellor, Chancellor, etc. at some university. Being a president at some university, particularly at a HBCU, one would have to be very talented to understand the balancing act they would have to perform while staying on the school's mission. She might be good in engineering, but that does not say she is good at managing a university. HBCUs need to seek out the most qualified and well-rounded individuals to run their school in order to survive the waves of attacks by others.

Last edited:
Hey @JayRob

I guess the HBCU Digest has something against females too. Anyone with some common sense and who has paid just a little attention to things in the recent months would have known this. But I'm sure you and your other butt buddy would say that they all got fired because of me.

Now Gwendolyn Boyd is Out at Alabama State? How Many Presidents Can HBCUs Fire in a Year?

The public will see this as the fourth forced resignation or firing of a black woman heading an HBCU in less than two months, following Carolyn Meyers at Jackson State University, Lady June Cole at Allen University and Elmira Mangum at Florida A&M University. All of them faced some level of humiliation at the hands of board secrecy or vindictiveness. For Cole and Boyd, the public is none the wiser about what constituted their lack of performance or created board dissatisfaction.

https://hbcudigest.com/now-gwendoly...-hbcus-fire-in-a-year-44bea3f68d13#.ng8ggssj5

In coming days, I'm sure it would come out on how dipping deep into a school's reserve funds hurt the university as a whole. The fallout really hasn't started yet.

Last edited:
Back