Alabama A&M sees record number of applicants, expects record 2023 enrollment

Normal1875

A&M #1
Alabama A&M sees record number of applicants, expects record 2023 enrollment
Published: Apr. 29, 2023, 7:53 a.m.

By Kalyn Dunkins | kdunkins@al.com
Alabama A&M University celebrated a record total of 9,757 accepted freshmen to date for fall 2023.

The college beat its own previous record of 9,039 acceptances set in 2019, and is on track to beat its freshman enrollment record of 1,694 students also set in 2019.

So far, there have been more than 15,000 applicants to AAMU this year, a 30% increase from last year. Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Braque Talley says the growth is “not accidental,” and that he is pleased with the outreach to students and families from different backgrounds.

Last edited:
I've met and chopped it up with Dr. Talley over the years from humble beginnings when he was at Rust and moved on to Pine Bluff before coming on the Hill. He has always been as sharp as they come professionally. Much respect...!

More than ever what I am noticing about the current administration as a whole is that the shot callers are on the same level. I've longed to see those days of less infighting and everyone on one accord. I mean, that really makes a difference in administration. It is something that I continue to learn in my role. Barring any scandals, I'm telling you all what you already know, there is no stopping this institution.

Yes AAMU is a goldmine!

First of all, great job in creating so much interest in AAMU!!

Please help me understand the numbers

Are we saying AAMU accepted 9700+ freshmen but only 1600+ will actually enroll? Is the 8K+ enrollment difference because AAMU cannot handle that many students or the majority of accepted students deciding to go elsewhere?

Just trying to understand the huge difference in numbers.

Last edited:
First of all, great job in creating so much interest in AAMU!!

Please help me understand the numbers

Are we saying AAMU accepted 9700+ freshmen but only 1600+ will actually enroll? Is the 8K+ enrollment difference because AAMU cannot handle that many students or the majority of accepted students deciding to go elsewhere?

Just trying to understand the huge difference in numbers.
We are seeing more students apply. Also more quality students are showing interest. More of those students are expected to enroll. No way 9700 kids will be accepted. Maybe 2000 will enroll.

Back