Alabama A&M BOT approves alcohol sales, new arena funding

2kool

The nicest campus in the SWAC to get even nicer.

Business and Finance
The Business and Finance Committee presented several action items. AAMU Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration Clayton Gibson sought and received approval for an FY2020 proposed operating budget of $191.2 million. A new University Event Center fee of $140 per semester will take effect in fall 2019, and AAMU will implement in fall 2020 a Dining Dollars fee for commuter students ($200 semester). The fee is in connection with the University’s expectation of having additional retail dining options on campus beginning that semester.

The board also approved the securing of a finance package of up to $73 million to encompass new construction and renovations; the sale of 0.35 acre of land at North Memorial Parkway to the Alabama Department of Transportation to facilitate the state’s Mastin Lake overpass construction project; the conveyance of property to J.F. Drake Community and Technical College; and authorization for the sale of alcohol at specific events and designated locations across campus.

The $73m arena should be nice and a huge asset in the continued refurbishment and expansion of the physical plant.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Business and Finance
The Business and Finance Committee presented several action items. AAMU Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration Clayton Gibson sought and received approval for an FY2020 proposed operating budget of $191.2 million. A new University Event Center fee of $140 per semester will take effect in fall 2019, and AAMU will implement in fall 2020 a Dining Dollars fee for commuter students ($200 semester). The fee is in connection with the University’s expectation of having additional retail dining options on campus beginning that semester.

The board also approved the securing of a finance package of up to $73 million to encompass new construction and renovations; the sale of 0.35 acre of land at North Memorial Parkway to the Alabama Department of Transportation to facilitate the state’s Mastin Lake overpass construction project; the conveyance of property to J.F. Drake Community and Technical College; and authorization for the sale of alcohol at specific events and designated locations across campus.
Damn so commuters will be paying an extra $340/semester for the upgrades. WOW.

Are they allowed any meals as a part of the $200 dining dollars fee?

Business and Finance

So what's the plan for Elmore once the new arena is built?

The $73m arena should be nice and a huge asset in the continued refurbishment and expansion of the physical plant.

I doubt all 73 million goes to the event center.... i know we are building a welcome center/food court also... with multiple national food chains as a separate building.
Damn so commuters will be paying an extra $340/semester for the upgrades. WOW.

Are they allowed any meals as a part of the $200 dining dollars fee?

We are building a food court on campus with many restaurants... they will be able to use that money to eat at the food court.

So what's the plan for Elmore once the new arena is built?

Its a classroom building... so probably nothing... may turn it into a volleyball gym. I know they aren’t going to tear it down though because its going through renovation now.

all for the Alcohol sales at our stadium & other areas on campus!.... great job Board of Trustees!..should bring in a good bit of revenue for the university

Last edited:
So, we get criticized for adding a conference game as a non-conference game to gain funds, but yall can sell alcohol on campus to raise funds and THAT'S okay??!!
Sounds quite hypocritical.

You mad??

WE know how to raise funds without dragging down the conference.

Wow are you all going to really sell alcohol to @Oracle .....LOL He'll proclaim AAMU SEC Football Caliber after the first sip....LOL

LOL!!! I am in the skyboxes....I already have access to some if I wanted it. Nice that others who want it will also be able to have some.

So, we get criticized for adding a conference game as a non-conference game to gain funds, but yall can sell alcohol on campus to raise funds and THAT'S okay??!!
Sounds quite hypocritical.

That is not for the purpose of fundraising. It is just a small area where some fans can purchase several drinks to enjoy during the games.

Last edited:
all for the Alcohol sales at our stadium & other areas on campus!.... great job Board of Trustees!..should bring in a good bit of revenue for the university

I doubt if it will result in any major infusion of revenues. it is just something for alcohol-age fans. Students have to be over 21 to buy it. Not done to raise funds.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Scenery, historic structures and landscape.

Have you seen the campus in person? Its something about those hills.

I kinda have to agree. I've seen all but the Texas schools and Grambling and Normal Hills is pretty nice. Probably the one city in Alabama i'd actually live in if I had to.

How y’all the nicest campus & just now getting restaurants on campus lmao

I know us & JSU have been had restaurants on campus

We are getting an entire food court built on campus with 10-12 restaurants ...... we already had restaurants in our DORMS...

You mad??

WE know how to raise funds without dragging down the conference.
Mad about selling alcohol to college students under 21? That's AAMU's problem and I could care less about how yall raise money.
I was pointing out how yall raise money yall's way and we raise money our way.
As far as dragging the conference down, it's AAMU who came from the D-2 level.

Back