Alabama A&M band to be out front in Rose Parade

Olde Hornet

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...LOL-?SITE=ALMON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Alabama A&M band to be out front in Rose Parade

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) -- The Alabama A&M University's Maroon & White Marching Band will be out front in Monday's Rose Parade.

Drum Major Garry Guilford will blow his whistle to strike up the band - and the Pasadena crowd. The band will be the opening sight and sound.

They will lead the 48 floats, 24 other bands and 23 horse-mounted units along the 5.5-mile route of what many believe is the world's most-watched parade.

Assistant Band Director Derrick Yates said Tournament of Roses President Libby Evans Wright, a Birmingham native, visited the Huntsville campus last summer. After watching the band rehearse, they were chosen for the honor.

Wright asked that the entire band work up some kind of short, maybe 30-second flashy movement or dance routine for the cameras and spectators to kick off the music and marching, Yates said.

Yates said spectators can expect a lot of "horn flashing" and "plume action" at the start. Then watch for the band's distinctive pointed-toe and high-knee-lift marching style.

Band Director Arthur Wesley and Drum Major Guilford have been in Pasadena, Calif. since Thursday to make sure there are no problems lurking among the last-minute logistics.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
My mother lives right there at the beginning of the parade......Shes going to take some pics of them...My sister just said its raining hard out there now....The parade will be passing her house around 12 noon our time...:tup:GOOOOOO AAMU

just saw the MMW on TV way to represent!!!!!sounded good also.......................................

What songs did they play. I missed the start, and I'm watching the Bama and Texas Tech game. :dizzy:

DO THE DAMN THANG A&M !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW IF ALL HEARTS AND MINDS ARE SATISFIED, LETS KEEP STRIVING FOR THE HIGHEST !!!

ABC,NBC, and Travel Channel all had good coverage of the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, Ca.

when the band marched by the official Rose Bowl grandstand they played the A&M Fight song, Rock Steady-The Whispers, and Life Goes On-Earth Wind & Fire. Im sure they played more songs than that during the course of the parade..im guessin.

Nevertheless..........Great Job A&M Marching Maroon & White!!!

HUGE PROPS OUT TO ALABAMA A&M UNIVERSITY!!! WAY TO REPRESENT!!!! :jump: aaaaagh MAN,,, A GREAT JOB A&M,,, POINT AND DRIVE D'MIT, POINT AND DRIVE, CRISP AS A MOFO,,, GREAT SOUND, MUGZ WAS TIGHT!!!

As a Tuskegee Institute Marching Crimson Piper for 5 years (82-87), the musician in me was ALL OVER this one! YALL mugz represented the SWAC/Alabama/the south WELL!! Congrats and good stuff!!! All over it! :tup:

I caught it this morning.............................GREAT WAY TO REPRESENT HBCU'S, THE SWAC AND YOUR STATE OF ALABAMA. It sounded great!!!!

I wish I had read this before hand. I would have been planted in front of the TV to see and tape this. Congrats Bulldogs... This is one of the trips I regret I didn't make either in high school or college.

Peace...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Congrats AAMU for a job well done. You guys represented all HBCU marching bands in a high class fashion. You looked good and also you sounded good.

Cojack said:
Congrats AAMU for a job well done. You guys represented all HBCU marching bands in a high class fashion. You looked good and also you sounded good.

not to belabor the point,, but massive co-sign. that's what struck me seeing them on WSFA Channel 12 Montgomery. just a great snippette.

Way to Go MMW!!! You kept it real without being "coonish", and the dancing diva showed class by not throwing their azz.

On a side note, I can think of a few dancing units that would have made plenty money while bucking and squatting down the streets of Pasadena.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back