Air McNair............

ALJSU3

McNair Plays With Pain, Keeps Playoff Hopes Strong

Steve McNair, the Tennessee Titans'
toughman, has added another story to his resume.
McNair couldn't practice at all last week because of sore ribs,
and his teammates didn't think he'd play. A pain-killing injection
he received before kickoff wore off during the third quarter, and
he also had a painful right shin and a hole cut into the toe of his
right shoe to alleviate turf toe.
Despite the pain, he had his best game Sunday in rallying the
Titans to a 32-29 overtime victory over the New York Giants. The
comeback from eight points down with 2:21 left was the 14th of
McNair's career and third this season.
"Steve is a warrior," receiver Derrick Mason said. "He is our
captain and our leader. If Steve is doing well, this team is doing
well. ... Regardless of what anyone else might say, to me Steve is
the best quarterback in the NFL."
Thanks to McNair's heroics, the Titans (7-5) have won six of
their last seven and remain in the mix for the AFC wild card. They
play Indianapolis (8-4) on Sunday in Nashville, with the winner
taking control of the AFC South. "Time in and time out, he rises to the occasion," tight end Frank Wycheck said. "I didn't think he would play this weekend. He did what he had to do to get ready for Sunday. He plays with a lotof pain."The only player in NCAA history to gain more than 16,000 yards(while at Alcorn State), McNair has made playing through pain his specialty in the NFL. He has played despite injuries to nearly every part of his body, including a bruised chest; he once returned five games after backsurgery and another time had a right shoulder so sore he couldn't lift his arm over his head. McNair certainly is the toughest quarterback Titans coach Jeff Fisher has ever seen. "There have been great quarterbacks in this league thathave played and taken a lot of hits that weren't supposed to play and played," Fisher said. "I'm obviously biased, because I'm around him every day. It's very difficult in this league to line up and have the kind of game he had yesterday without preparing. "He's an exception. He can do that."McNair, who managed only a couple of soft tosses to a trainerlast week, was 30-of-43 for 334 yards and three touchdowns against the Giants. He also scrambled four times for 38 yards, not including his run up the middle for a 2-point conversion that tied the game at 29 with 9 seconds left. He was at his best on the Titans' final two drives, going10-of-15 for 119 yards. "I felt as long as I didn't aggravate it even more before the game, I was going to play," McNair said. "We needed this win." McNair had plenty of help. His offensive line allowed only one sack, and right tackle Fred Miller handled defensive end Michael Strahan most of the game on hisown. McNair also completed passes to nine receivers.
The defense also forced the Giants to kick a field goal with 2:21 left after having first-and-goal at the 1. Fisher said McNair, who was not available Monday, was a little sore.He wasn't sure if McNair will practice Wednesday. "I guess practice isn't important anymore," Fisher said.

Thats why I am a Titans fan. I was down with the Houston Oilers and I became a fan when they drafted McNair. That dude is tough and he has heart. If he continues to guide them and stays healthy enough to be effective, they will make a dayum good playoff run.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back