ain't juss white folk leavin the inner city no moe

Its ok to leave, but just invite your friends in the hood over for a BBQ sometime.

Re: Are you referring to B'ham or metros in general?

Originally posted by Bartram
What's your frame of reference?

This basically nation wide. A lot of Black folks in Atlanta have moved to the surrounding counties for the last 25 years.

Posted by EB
This basically nation wide. A lot of Black folks in Atlanta have moved to the surrounding counties for the last 25 years.

Right, In Detroit just look how many people are moving out of the inner city and moving into neighborhoods such as Southfield, Oak Park, Farmington, West Bloomfield.

As more and more Blacks begin to make strides up the corporate ladders, become doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, and create their fortunes from their own businesses, this trend will continue. I don't have a problem with it. We've been told all our lives that we should go to college, earn a degree, work our way into the job market in the field of our choice, and then we can enjoy the "American Dream."

When you're working, making your own fortunes, you can go and come as you please. Besides, isn't the reason we do all those things mentioned above is so that we can get out of the ghetto, or whatever other destitute areas our people maybe from? Why do all of that to stay there? :confused:

The difference between us and many of the white folks that do it, is because they'll spend a lifetime running away from US. We do it simply because we WANT TO.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum

The difference between us and many of the white folks that do it, is because they'll spend a lifetime running away from US. We do it simply because we WANT TO.

this is very true, and the sad part about it is that our own folk put us down for wanting to. my mommy is getting a house built in another area(a new sub-division in Fairfield, AL) which is still around her african-american folk and the rumors have already began to surface how she has become too good for the hood. i was like dang, why does my mommy have to spend the rest of her life in the hood, if she can afford something better. it's a shame because we really can't stand to see someone else do better than us, cause if they do make a come up they are labeled as being "too good". like Martin used to say, "Why i gotta be all dat?"

Improve, don't move!

Originally posted at AL.com:
...living in the suburbs has only one major drawback there aren't many blacks. The chamber's research of Census data showed that even though Hoover's black population surged 227 percent from 1990 to 2000, only 6.8 percent of the city's residents are black.
I have just the solution for this: move back!

I'm not saying Blacks should not want to be a part of good situations and better ways of living, but why do we have to move so far away to do it? If all those people who move away were so adamant about improving situations where we are NOW, that would make for a stronger community where we are, rather than us always pining for what the White folk have!

Let's look at Birmingham. Now that most folks have fled downtown (and are still fleeing), it's becoming a great spot for cheap property. Now, apartments and lofts are being built that only the affluent can rent ( lofts for like $1000/mo :eek: ). The city has even torn down a major set of projects with plans to build a "quality" community. Their claim is that all tiers of income will be able to afford it. I hope so. But it looks like the affluent are coming in and taking over the city. Then they'll improve it.

Why can't we improve the areas we're in BEFORE others come in, buy it from us cheap, and make it worth a whole lot more than we got for it!!??!?? That's the problem with us as I often see it. We're more than willing to jump on the bandwagon where the going is good. But we want to abandon the challenges, where it's tough and we can make a difference. If we built up these areas, maybe we could help improve the situation for ourselves AND many others who may not be able to help themselves. It's when we see our best and brightest abandon us that Black folk get more discouraged and care less.

Sorry for putting the weight of the WORLD on our shoulders, but we could be in a better situation in our metros if we just stayed there and put in the work!

BTW XHALE9802, more power to your mom! At least she's still in Fairfield :tup:

I am just saying don't forget where you came from. Some people get a lil money and can't wait to run out to be around the white folks.

I don't think it is about wanting to be around white folks. I think it is more about wanting to be in the burbs. The suburbs for the most part tend to have newer looking homes.

Lets take Birmingham for example. With the exception of neighborhoods like Heritage, most houses in Birmingham are extremely old. Most of the southern metropolitan Birmingham area has newer gorgeous houses. Also, if people don't work downtown, then they most likely work in these areas. Some people want to cut their commute time to work as much as possible. And then there are the schools. With the exception of Ramsay, Birmingham has a bad academic reputation as far as public high schools are concern.

Killer Bees Points Well Taken

I'm sorry folks, but I just don't think we can go to the race card or even the don't forget where you came from card. I don't think the vast majority are forgetting where they came from; I thick they are frustraighted with the inept (black) political leadership in Birmingham which is more concerned with rather or not the mayor gets to have his own lincoln town care to get around in than they are repairing Birmingham's and many of the inner city areas aging infrastructure. Dude is right, many areas of Birmingham are very old and decaying. Then I have a friend in Birmingham who's mom was simply driving home from work and was shot apparantly in some kind of gang related randomn shooting in her own neighborhood. Now this can happen in the burbs, but it is happening and happening more frequently in the inner city areas. People, like in the article, aren't "uncle toms" or anything, they are simply choosing to get the best investment possible on the money they put into a house. No matter how you spin it, the best investment is in neighborhoods that are clean, relatively new, safe, upscale, and near good schools, shopping and entertainment. That is the Hoover area.

Now like somebody said, "we" could rehab our own neighborhoods, but we don't and I don't think we will. It's an evolutionary process. We just now to the point where we can afford to move out of these places and that's our ultimate goal right now. Maybe in a couple or three generations when more blacks have amassed enough wealth to buy buildings and renovate them into loft apartments or buy entire neighborhoods and rebuild them, maybe then we'll stay, but as of today that is the domain of white business folks because they have the money and are running large construction firms that can take on projects like loft apartments and residential development. Look at virtually every large housing development in Birmingham/Shelby; those are white business men buying 100-1000 of acreas of land and developing 10-30 year projects that will take care of the next two generations of their families if they don't do anything stupid,,,, but they have amassed the wealth and have the connections.

Re: Killer Bees Points Well Taken

Originally posted by Bartram
I'm sorry folks, but I just don't think we can go to the race card or even the don't forget where you came from card. I don't think the vast majority are forgetting where they came from; I thick they are frustraighted with the inept (black) political leadership in Birmingham which is more concerned with rather or not the mayor gets to have his own lincoln town care to get around in than they are repairing Birmingham's and many of the inner city areas aging infrastructure. Dude is right, many areas of Birmingham are very old and decaying. Then I have a friend in Birmingham who's mom was simply driving home from work and was shot apparantly in some kind of gang related randomn shooting in her own neighborhood. Now this can happen in the burbs, but it is happening and happening more frequently in the inner city areas. People, like in the article, aren't "uncle toms" or anything, they are simply choosing to get the best investment possible on the money they put into a house. No matter how you spin it, the best investment is in neighborhoods that are clean, relatively new, safe, upscale, and near good schools, shopping and entertainment. That is the Hoover area.

Now like somebody said, "we" could rehab our own neighborhoods, but we don't and I don't think we will. It's an evolutionary process. We just now to the point where we can afford to move out of these places and that's our ultimate goal right now. Maybe in a couple or three generations when more blacks have amassed enough wealth to buy buildings and renovate them into loft apartments or buy entire neighborhoods and rebuild them, maybe then we'll stay, but as of today that is the domain of white business folks because they have the money and are running large construction firms that can take on projects like loft apartments and residential development. Look at virtually every large housing development in Birmingham/Shelby; those are white business men buying 100-1000 of acreas of land and developing 10-30 year projects that will take care of the next two generations of their families if they don't do anything stupid,,,, but they have amassed the wealth and have the connections.

Well my comment wasn't about just Alabama. I know blacks who live in black areas of town that are not poor any any means. And they still running out to the burbs when they get a little more money.

Atlanta?

Like in Atlanta? There are many (or at least there were in the 80s) affluent black areas in Atlanta. Are they moving?

Well, let me restate; I think there are more black people now days moving strickly based on economics/investment than trying to be "The Jefferesons". How bout that?

Since I live in the ATL

...I think I can speak intelligently on this matter.

My wife and I live in one of the upwardly mobile Black areas of the ATL...and there are tons of them here...We are right off Cascade, so for those of you that know the area, you understand what I am talking about.

The homes range from $250K to $3M. Many fabulous homes. No problem with the comparison to areas outside Fulton County. The problem with this area, however, is that because we are in the SWATS (SW ATL), the area is subject to lower income residents who work in the area (fastfood, grocery stores, etc).

Yall know how that goes. These younger people have attitudes, they don't care bout you, stores are not always kept up to the same standards as those in the burbs; there's trash on the off ramps; window-washers; people just hanging out; old beat up cars, etc.

My point is simple. You don't find these things in the burbs. Most of the kids working come from homes in which the know this is just a stepping stone to their future; it's a means to make extra money...not a lively hood! The streets are cleaned; the police respond, etc.

That's the major difference in the SWATS and the rest of the well-to-do burbs of the ATL (white or black).

:(

Back