Actually that's not in the Bible

Bible thumping is a dangerous thing to do...especially when they don't know what they are talking about. But to refer to people's interpretation of the Bible as "quoting phantom scriptures" is unwise too.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What about "he's just a man”, “put it in God's hands”, “the flesh is weak”, and “we fall down, but we get up"?

That website says proverbs 13:24 is not in the bible.
If you are refering to “Spare the rod, spoil the child”, the article is saying the quote of "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes" is different ... and it is both in scope and meaning.

If you are refering to “Spare the rod, spoil the child”, the article is saying the quote of "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes" is different ... and it is both in scope and meaning.

dacontinent,

Please explain the difference.

dacontinent,

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" is a cause and response statement: the spoiled child is a by-product of not having the rod applied. That would leave room for the ill-tempered, malicious, but uncaring parent to be justified in beating on a kid with the attitude that it was for the kid's own good.

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes" is a much stronger statement about parenting and does not identify the outcome of the child at all. It makes no implication about the child's resultant behavior. It tells the parent why chastening is good for both the parent and the child and what attitude the parent needs to have in rendering that chastisement.

thanks,

I can see why someone simply chose to keep the saying simple. There seems to be a lot of beating of the child in the bible.

It should have just said "Spare the rod, and spoil the child".

link...
http://www.religioustolerance.org/spankin8.htm
And where do you find all of this beating of children that seems to be in the Bible? The link doesn't point out any at all.

Proverbs are sayings about life lessons that one would lie others to have benefit of without having to learn on their own.
With 700 wives and 300 concubines, it would be my GUESS that Solomon had numerous children. Perhaps he had children at different stages of his life where he gave them different levels of attention. Then, looking back on how they turned out, he noted the differences and the lessons he learned.

And where do you find all of this beating of children that seems to be in the Bible? The link doesn't point out any at all.

Proverbs are sayings about life lessons that one would lie others to have benefit of without having to learn on their own.
With 700 wives and 300 concubines, it would be my GUESS that Solomon had numerous children. Perhaps he had children at different stages of his life where he gave them different levels of attention. Then, looking back on how they turned out, he noted the differences and the lessons he learned.

What about when the prophet Elisha had 42 children mauled and killed by a bear simply because they called him "baldhead"? Was that a loving thing to do to children who were just being children?
2Kings 2:23-24. 23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

What about the command by Moses to stone children simply for being immature? Why don't we do that today? It's because it was evil and barbaric, that's why and it showed no form of love.
Stoning is one of the worst kinds of death there is.
What mother and father would be filled with that much hate to see their son die right before their eyes by the hands of strangers throwing stones?
Imagine the cries, the blood and the long painstaking moments it would take to kill someone by stoning them. Is that showing love of ANY kind? No. Instead of killing him, wouldn't it be best just to put him out and let him be on his own, but to stone him to death? Wow.

Deut. 21:18-21. 18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

dacontinent,

It's very simple. Spare the rod, spoil the child is a paraphrase and not a direct quote.

A paraphrase is not intended to be a direct chapter and verse quote nor should it be taken as such. But, to say it is not in the bible is misleading at best and an outright lie at worst. The principle behind the paraphrase is definitely there although the paraphrase is not a direct quote.

This is just another attempt by a false prophet to mislead and misdirect people. This wolf in sheep's clothing wrote this long article about how paraphrases are not in the bible. Wow. I wonder how long did it take him to figure that out. But, that wasn't his real intent. His intent was to mislead people into thinking those principles are not in the bible and he's been somewhat successful. I guess Satan is smiling at the good work he's done for their cause.

So, what have we learned lately people? Watch out for false prophets: preachers and so-called "bible scholars".

Last edited:
A topic that never gets old regarding the church is how people dress, and the first thing that flies outta folks mouths is:

“God said, ‘Come as you are’”

When I ask them where it says that in the Bible, they look at me like I’m crazy. When I tell them that’s NOT in the Bible, they try to argue me down. But when I tell them that the Bible DOES, in fact, have a dress code in BOTH the Old and New Testaments, AND give them the Scriptures as proof, well.....
......let’s just say that knowing the Word of God for yourself is so very important.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Don't get me started on the Boaz and Ruth story. If I hear one more black woman say she's gonna get her Boaz I'm going to 😡. That has nothing to do with a woman finding a husband or a man finding a wife. If your preacher told you that lie find you another one. He is incompetent.

A topic that never gets old regarding the church is how people dress, and the first thing that flies outta folks mouths is:

“God said, ‘Come as you are’”

When I ask them where it says that in the Bible, they look at me like I’m crazy. When I tell them that’s NOT in the Bible, they try to argue me down. But when I tell them that the Bible DOES, in fact, have a dress code in BOTH the Old and New Testaments, AND give them the Scriptures as proof, well.....
......let’s just say that knowing the Word of God for yourself is so very important.
Well-said on all accounts.
The Bible certainly does not say "... come as you are..." nor "... stay as you were ...".

Back