AAMU sweeps Skegee (roundball)

DAHILL

A&M posts sweep
Sunday, November 21, 2004
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com
Martin fuels men while women show balance

Joe Martin didn't play all that well in Alabama A&M's first two basketball games. A transfer from Shelton State Community College, Martin was considered one of the top junior college players in the state a year ago.

He didn't look like one of the top players in the state in a pair of losses to Birmingham-Southern and Fairfield in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic last weekend.

However, Martin was top of his game Saturday night against Tuskegee.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder poured in 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds as the Bulldogs whipped the Golden Tigers 83-58 in their home opener at Elmore Gym . The A&M women also won, claiming a 70-55 win against Tuskegee.

"I relaxed and played my game," Martin said. "I was a little too excited in Birmingham because I was at home."

Martin was home Saturday night.

An announced crowd of 2,205 was on hand as Martin made 8-of-13 shots, including 3-of-4 from beyond the arc. He also had two assists and two blocked shots in 27 minutes.

"Joe played an exceptional game," A&M coach Vann Pettaway said.

"He can be special once he learns what to do."

The Bulldogs led 44-31 at intermission and pulled away in the second half. A&M led by as many as 31 points at 83-52 on a pair of free throws by Marcus Young with just more than two minutes remaining.

"I thought after the first two minutes we found ourselves and played pretty decent," Pettaway said. "This is a game we were supposed to win and I just hate that it came at (Tuskegee coach) Ondray's (Wagner) expense."

Wagner is a former A&M standout and also served as an assistant under Pettaway a few years ago.

The win lifted A&M to 1-2 on the season, while Tuskegee dropped to 0-2.

Marcus Jones backed Martin with 17 points, while Obie Trotter and Rickey Ricketts finished with 15 and 11 points, respectively.

Robert Helaire led Tuskegee with 12 points.

Alabama A&M 70, Tuskegee 55 (W): The Lady Bulldogs outscored the Lady Tigers 26-11 over the final 10 minutes to win their home opener going away.

A&M (1-0) led 30-28 at intermission and the game was tied at 44 apiece midway through the second half before the Lady Bulldogs used a 13-2 run to break it open.

"I was pleased with the way we played in the second half," A&M coach Altherias Warmley said. "They beat us on the boards and we shot free throws horribly in the first half, we did a much better job in those two areas in the second half."

Freshman Ashley Samuel led four A&M players in double figures with 15 points.

She was 6-of-9 from the field, with six rebounds, two assists, two steals and a blocked shot in 30 minutes.

Show Smith, Kim Pratcher and Tamisha Augustin finished with 12 points apiece, while Tamika Green chipped in nine points and grabbed a game-high eight rebounds.

A&M outrebounded Tuskegee 49-38, including 21-11 on the offensive end, as five different players had six or more.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/110103264462200.xml

Back