J-State Tiger

Senate Candidate #7
A&M's Reed finds trouble again

All-SWAC pick suspended for using teammate's credit card
03/17/01
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff
rbenson@htimes.com

Cornerback Brandon Reed, who ran into problems at Auburn before transferring to Alabama A&M last season, is in trouble again.

The Times learned Friday that Reed has been suspended indefinitely and may be kicked off the team for good after taking quarterback Chris Gunn's credit card and making approximately $500 in purchases earlier this month.

"We will not tolerate a player stealing from one of his teammates. That's not how this football program operates." Ron Cooper, Alabama A&M head coach A&M head football coach Ron Cooper confirmed the suspension Friday.

''The way it looks right now, Brandon will no longer be on this football team,'' said Cooper, who also said Reed had been taken off scholarship. ''We will not tolerate a player stealing from one of his teammates. That's not how this football program operates.''
Reed had similar problems at Auburn that led to him being dismissed from the team.

He was charged with the illegal possession and use of a credit debit card belonging to quarterback Daniel Cobb. Reed allegedly stole Cobb's debit card and used it to make about $950 in purchases at Dillard's and Sears in Colonial Mall on April 20, according to Auburn police.

In a story that appeared in The Times last August, Reed said he had learned from his mistakes.

''I made some bad choices and that's part of growing up,'' Reed said. ''You learn from it and move on. That's my goal and that's what I hope to do.''

Sources within the A&M athletic department said Gunn did not press charges. The quarterback refused to comment Friday after the Bulldogs completed their first day of spring drills.

Reed's father, Thomas, the principal at Alma Bryant Vocational School near Mobile, reportedly wrote Gunn a check to cover the charges. Thomas Reed could not be reached for comment Friday. A secretary at Alma Bryant said Thomas Reed was out of town.

Last season, the younger Reed was spectacular, earning All-Southwestern Athletic Conference honors. He finished the regular season with 48 tackles and a SWAC-best eight interceptions. He had four tackles, including one for loss, an interception and one pass breakup in the SWAC Championship Game.

Off the field, he hadn't gotten into trouble. Until now.

''Brandon hadn't given us any problems at all,'' Cooper said. ''That's what makes this situation so difficult.''

With Reed out, Henry Freeman will likely move from free safety to cornerback. Levernonte Turner will move into the No. 1 free safety spot, Cooper said.

We told you, we told you. Maybe he can transfer to SU and fit right in.

Visa send Help.

honestly this is even anything to smack about. It is really sad and I hope he gets help. My schoolmate was his roomate this year and I told him to MAKE SURE HE LOCKED UP EVERYTHING.

Oooooh, this aint smackable?

You guys should learn from having known criminals on the team. They kid got kickied off the other team for a reason. You should be ashamed of yourself for allowing this credit card lover on the team in the first place.

How much yall wanna bet he is on the team this year.

All yall do is reinforce stereotypes. Ill bet he bucked his eyes when the police came to get him too. "That aint mine, that aint me."

Dumbass. Guess he didnt know what dem pretty cameras were for.

Hey Strawdog, do you think Reed was smart enough to write his name or Gunns name on the receipt.

Im sure Cooper will allow him back on the team. Jackson State needs him. Who else is Kent going to pass all over.

8 interceptions huh? I guess he is good at picking things off.

Nemesis Bates send help

Originally posted by Get Ready
Oooooh, this aint smackable?

You guys should learn from having known criminals on the team. They kid got kickied off the other team for a reason. You should be ashamed of yourself for allowing this credit card lover on the team in the first place.

How much yall wanna bet he is on the team this year.

All yall do is reinforce stereotypes. Ill bet he bucked his eyes when the police came to get him too. "That aint mine, that aint me."

Dumbass. Guess he didnt know what dem pretty cameras were for.

Hey Strawdog, do you think Reed was smart enough to write his name or Gunns name on the receipt.

Im sure Cooper will allow him back on the team. Jackson State needs him. Who else is Kent going to pass all over.

Nemesis Bates send help

as much as i dont want to laugh I CANT HELP IT. I have to agree with GR, he probably will be back on team next year. Bellamy was damn near on Huntsville Most Wanted and still got about 5 chances.

A Profound Statement on the Reed matter.

Our outstanding Coach gave a young man a second chance.
As you can see he came from a very good family. The credit card thing is very common, because often more than not star players going to highschool see things on the way from practice that are lost. Many of them find walkmans and other large ticket items on the way to the domitory. Some get back to their apartments and find cases of steaks. Seeing a credit card laying around led the individual to believe someone left it for him. The kid probably didn't know this time it was not for him to take. So this has been cleared up and we should be ready for the season. Remember this guy helped us to be a few games above .500.

This is our story for the year.

LOL Mighty Dog!

J-State Tiger,

Someone told me that Reed has some more relatives that lives around J-State's campus. Maybe he had some cousins in Jackson that were a bad influence on him. I'll pray for them.....,

Lay down with dogs, come up with fleas. Lay your credit card down around Brandon Reed, you get it took and find out he had a shopping spree on you.

0-7 ain't worried about him. They got what they wanted out of him. Then again, like Get Ready said, he'll probably be back on the team in the fall.

Dear Brandon Reed,

What is wrong with you, boy? How can you set foot on a college campus as a star football player and proceed to steal what doesn't belong to you? You are a disgrace to all the players who give their blood, sweat and tears everyday without stooping to such criminal acts. You should be ashamed.

Sincerely,

Nemesis Bates

This is sad.

Kleptos Anonymous send help.

Let him that is without sin, cast the first stone....

Originally posted by Get Ready

Get Ready/J-STATE Tiger...

Weather Brandon was smart enough to sign his name or Chris's name on the receipt or not I would think is not the central issue here. It is quite obvious that this young man needs some kind of psyshological help. He comes from a well respected Black family. His father played DB for AAMU and was an intergral part in several of our SIAC Championship runs.

As to weather Coach Cooper will allow him back on the team or not, I sincerely hope that he does!!! THERE ARE ENOUGH YOUNG BLACK MEN FILLING THE PRISON SYSTEM WITHIN THE UNITED STATES AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK KIDS OUT THERE THAT HAVE BEEN THROWN AWAY BY THE VERY SAME SOCIETY OR INSTITUTION THEY WERE SERVING OR ENTERTAINING!! YES, I FOR ONE AM IN FAVOR OF A 2ND, 3RD, 4TH, OR 5TH CHANCE FOR YOUR CHILD, MY CHILD OR ANYONE'S CHILD IN THE SWAC!!! GOD KNOWS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GET A BREAK FROM THE POLICE, THE JUDGE, OR ANYONE ELSE OUTSIDE OF HIS IMMEDIATE FAMILY, HIS FOOTBALL FAMILY, OR HIS SCHOOL FAMILY!!! There are and there will be Athletes, Band Members, Frat and Sorority members that have been allowed back in school and on jsue's various teams as well as other teams around the SWAC!!! This is nothing new!! :confused: If you want to pretend that this is something new from the outer sanctum then my man you are gravely mistaken and horrendously misled!! :confused: I am sure though you probably aren't man enough to admit it, however there are kids that you knew or know or you knew their parents and these kids were allowed to return to school after getting caught walking out of the Mall in Jackson, Huntsville, Baton Rouge, and the Ginza in Tokyo....It does not matter where, you can probably go to any member institution within the SWAC, or any conference (ACC, SEC, Big East, etc) and find the same or simular problems. :confused: ....AND LET US NOT BRING UP THE SUBJECT OF ALLEGED RAPE BY ATHLETES WITHIN THE SWAC?????

The bottom line is that you GR/JST see this as a great opportunity to SMACK THE AAMU BULLDOGS and THE DAWGPOUND I guess that's OK. Where was your SMACK when Peter Warwick walked out of Dillard's with over $400 worth of clothing for $19.95 :confused: I could name situations from past years within our conference and other Black Conferences around the country where these things have heppened and will continue to happen. I don't condone it nor will I stick my head in the sand and pretend that it does not happen!! :confused:

AFTER YOU FINISH SMACKING THIS YOUNG MAN, THE DAWGPOUND AND THE BULLDOGS.............THEN PRAY FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY!! The jsue recruiter's visit the High School in Mobile where his father is principal quite frequently ;) !!!

What was the point of all of that? This aint the prayer board son. We told you when A&p brought that criminal in, that you were asking for trouble. Now at least Cooper will have somebody to blame when the team is back at 5-6 this year.

**peeping in**

Strawdog, were you so forgiving when Nemesis Bates got caught up last year or were you a part of that SU smack?

Brandon Reed does not need psychological help, he needs to be punished for his crime. He is not an eight year old who goes in the candy store everyday and steals a candy bar....an eight year old may need psychological help. He is a GROWN MAN who knows right from wrong....just like those workers at SU who took the work study money and misused it. They all deserve to be punished. If he continues to get a slap on the wrist, when will he learn?Look at Cecil Collins......I guess he should be forgiven again too. :rolleyes: But I am neither the judge nor jury...

Remember the old saying, "Laughing will get you every time......."

Dayum you George~

Man I couldn't get in the office fast enough today to post this story!! And how do you figure this isn't smacking material? You are right, he does need help. Help in learning how to keep his hands in his pockets instead of the QB's! LMAO @ A&P folk saying this sin't smackable!

What is it about Brandon Reed that makes him target QB's!

Hell, now yall see why he was so good at picking the ball off! Maybe SU should have put Nemisis at DB too, he probably would have lead the SWAC in Picksa season are two himself!

<font color = red>Hey Brandon!! When they told you to rush the QB out of the pocket, they didn't mean his pants pocket!</font>

Pick Pocket = Defensive Back at AAMU!!

<font size = 20>S _ _!</font>

I see lots of these in his future!

small%20main.jpg

First of all, how did JSU get blamed for this crooks actions.

Straw and Mighty Dog,

This is a damn shame.

This is so sad. You managed to blame everybody but that damn thief. The first thing I hate is a coward. The second one is a damn low down thief. Especially one that plans and lays to hurt his own friends. Yall blamed JSU, the rest of the SWAC, his surroundings, the times, everybody but him. Was it a full moon at the time? Its you people that are a part of his problem. Instead of holding him accountable for his problem, you immediately try to make somebody else guilty for the crime. And how many checks is is daddy gonna write before he holds him accountable?

This is sad and a true statement of how some black people put WANTS before morals. He WANTED whatever he bought with his teammates credit card, so its OK with him. NO MORALS. Yall WANT him to play cornerback, so its OK that he does this kind of mess to his own team mate as long as he can knock down a couple of passes. So its OK with you, NO MORALS.

And MD

You think maybe he look at the name of that card that was just laying around and read the name "GUNN."

But then again, yall have so many no named QBs he probably didnt recognize the name. Now I see where you are coming from. Excuse accepted.

and excusedog

When our recruiters visit South Alabama again, they will be sure to mention that somebodies son is a low down scum ass thief that needs to see the inside of a jail cell.

Scum of the Earth list update:
Jesse Jackson (the preacher cheater)
Brandon Reed(the thief)

I wash my hands of them. Guilty

One of Nemesis Bates's disciples......

First Nemesis Bates....
Then missing Work Study Checks..
Should I go on......???

Kellis, you guys have a LOT more stones than we do...but I digress.

To the rest of y'all,

I'm going to have to get a wallet with a chain attached to it and hooked to my pants when this guy is around.....this is the three letter word that I refuse to type.

SMH !!!!!

Individuals.........not institutions........

Phatback, you may be right, but I am not trying to make excuses for Nemesis or those work study employees.. You didn't see me saying Nemesis needed psychological help....hell no. He needed to be punished. I didn't defend the work study employees.....they should be punished too. But on the other hand, your fellow Bulldogs seem to think that Mr. Reed needs psychological help...well, I be damned. What makes him so special that he shouldn't be punished. If Brandon Reed needs psychological help, then let's help......the Peter Warricks, Lawrence Phillips, Cecil Collins, Sherman Williams.....do you see where I am headed? That's the problem today, you want to "slap" the athletes on the wrist because of the services they provide the various institutions through football, basketball, or whatever. If he was an average joe on the street, would you still want him to get psychological help? Better yet, what if that was your wallet or credit card? He is not a child, he is a GROWN ASS MAN who knows better...this wasn't his first time doing this....but I digress also. :rolleyes:

Re: One of Nemesis Bates's disciples......

Originally posted by phatback

Kellis, you guys have a LOT more stones than we do...but I digress.
This isn't about Southern University or AAMU, those situations pertain to INDIVIDUALS who shouldn't get any special treatment because they attend SU or AAMU. When Brandon Reed was at Auburn stealing, you were probably laughing and wanting him to go to jail but now that he attends AAMU, you want him to get psychological help....give me a break. :rolleyes:

Just like someone said earlier, when the joke's on SU, it's funny........but when the joke's on you, it's not funny. *SMH*

Hold up on the Bates thing. Even though he was wrong for what he did. He didn't steal from his teamates, which makes what Reed did it even worse. Stealing is stealing and both players should be punished. Bates already has, but Reed has a more serious problem than Bates. Bates was doing what alot of us on this page will not admit to doing at least once and probably didn't get caught. He tried to getover by switching merchandise around (I am still trying to figure out how he thought a VCR could pass off as a fan in the fan box.) Yes techinically it was stealing, but at least he paid for something( the fan). LOL , I hope for Reed's sake he gets it together.

Kellis is right. It is an individual thing not a SU or AAMU thing.

[Edited by JR on 03-20-01 at 01:33 PM]

Man please..

..the only thing Reed knows how to put together is his hands with somebody else's wallet!

Folsk kill me making excuses for this grown arse man stealing!!! Blaming everyone form Society to JSU. But yall all should be blaming his theiving arse!! And it doesn't mater what any of the other "schools" have done! Or how many "stones" we have. Hell I have never stole anybody's wallet...so I will be the first to hit his arse with a boulder!

LMAO...

Originally posted by Suge

<font color = red>Hey Brandon!! When they told you to rush the QB out of the pocket, they didn't mean his pants pocket!</font>
<font size = 20>S _ _!</font>

[/B]

Suge you a phool!!!!

I feel you on that one Suge. Not only once did he do it , but twice. Both times from his teamates. Cooper couldn't let this kid back unless he wants a team full of turmoil. Too bad such a talent has wasted his opportunities twice.
One time can be a mistake, but to do it again is not acceptable. You can't blame Cooper for giving the kid a chance after the Auburn incident, but you can if he lets him back on the team after this.

LOL Man yall krazy! Trying to blame JSU for The Grown ass man stealing from his friends. Then he went and tried to buy the mall out. Who does he think he is?

This is larceny plain and simple. Slawdog is bringing up rape, jaywalking and everything in between.

_AD.

Back