A National Boycott of BET?? OMG.

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Has anyone else heard about this recent developments? I am simply stunned. Never thought I would see the day that elements of the Negro community would be aiming a boycott at Black Entertainment Television. Interesting developments.

I have mixed feelings on this, but generally I have no problems with what BET does. I would say if you don't like what BET shows/depicts, don't watch it or start a company to compete against it. Just like with groups wanting to ban HH et al and dictate what everybody else can buy. Just not in agreement with that. If HH is offensive to you, don't listen to it, don't buy it, listen to alternative radio/tv/videos. But then,,, this is America and we are a country of constant conflict, laws, law suites, persuation etc.

quote:

Received from Virginia LeBlanc, Executive Director of
National
Pan-Hellenic
Council, Inc.

November 2, 2001

Mr. Robert Johnson CEO
Black Entertainment Television
1900 W Street, NE
Washington, DC

Re: Television Programming

Dear Mr. Johnson:

We write as a follow up to the meeting held on September 27, 2001. The Council of Presidents of the African-American Greek
Letter organizations that consist of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Seta Phi Beta Sorority, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, collectively have over 1.4 Million
members. It is our intent to call for a national boycott of Black
Entertainment Television (BET).

As discussed with you and your staff, we believe that BET does not operate in the best interest of the African American community. Your responses to our concerns were not only unacceptable but were also insulting. We raised concerns with you about the type of videos shown on BET that have negative
influences on our community, particularly our youth. We believe that these videos are an exploitation of African American youth.
We discussed with you our concerns about BET's failure to advertise with and support African American businesses and institutions. BET's lack of reciprocity with the African American community is woefully sensitive and unfair. Further, we discussed with you that BET's failure to communicate with community
leaders is unacceptable.

Your response made it clear to us that your priority is to increase
profits without regard to the negative impact on the African
American community. You made it clear that the concerns we raised would not increase the profits of BET and therefore BET would not alter its business practices or programming to address these concerns.

It is our intent to communicate this boycott to all African-American
organizations and seek their support. Additionally, it is our intent to communicate this boycott to Viacom and all BET advertisers. This boycott shall remain in effect until our concerns are
satisfactorily resolved.

Lloyd J. Jordan, Esq.
Grand Basileus
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

I received an e-mail about this, but I assumed it was fake, but hoped its true! If there is any published information about this boycott, please post the links on this site. THANKS!!!

I look at BET in passing, its not a channel where I will have on for hours. If boycotting the station will get results so let it be.
muted screams internal durest endless days no time to rest.

I don't have a problem with boycotting but it's not just BET that show these type of videos. Pretty much all vidoes as of late has some half naked woman or women dancing and shaking their stuff in the camera. Even the female videos aren't any better about the the content. Why not try to enact some change in music video's in general. Like focus theor attention to the makers of the video.... :confused:

This is just my thoughts
Here is the article from the second link that was posted.

BET Spared Boycott; Two Sides Meet

By LISA DE MORAES, Washington Post

WASHINGTON--A consortium of African American fraternities and sororities has put off a boycott to protest the content of music videos telecast by Black Entertainment Television, and one of the group's leaders says it will meet again with BET to try to settle differences.
The organization "agreed to put a hold on the boycott until we have the opportunity to work with them to see what we can work out," said Norma White, chairman of the National Pan-Hellenic Council's council of presidents.
The council of presidents, representing the nine African American fraternities and sororities that make up the Pan-Hellenic Council, had met over the weekend at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City in Arlington, Va., to create final language on a strongly worded letter to BET founder Robert Johnson.
In an earlier version of that letter, the group had charged that the network "does not operate in the best interest of the African American community" and that the music videos that make up such a large part of BET's lineup are nothing more than "an exploitation of African American youth."
White said the group decided to ice the boycott in response to a letter each of the presidents had received from Kelli Richardson-Lawson, BET executive vice president.
That letter, dated Nov. 14, was written as a follow-up to the council's late-September meeting at BET headquarters. In it, she proposed that BET suits meet regularly with the council of presidents "to dialogue about BET and ways we can work together."
White said all references to a boycott have been stricken from the council's letter, as has the group's list of grievances.
"From our vantage point, it certainly is good news that the notion of a boycott has been called off and even more positive that the council wants to continue dialogue that we've already started," said Michael Lewellen, BET vice president for corporate communications.

Copyright 2001 Los Angeles Times:confused:

Why???? Then what???? MTV? MBC? ABC? CBS? FOX?

The things that were stated were true and very needed!
But, After BET then what?

MBC isn't bad...yet! They have the appearance of BET...back in the day. I believe "we" get so upset with BET over other stations, because it's suppose to be our station. Black Entertainment Television. We tune in to watch shows that we relate too.

After tuning in, some, not all, of us can't relate to the repulsive entertainment. Especially when we are stereotyping our own people. To L with MTV, ABC, NBC...etc. This is our program and we want to represent and be represented in the uttermost respect!!!

Back