A&M's Jones gets contract extended

orange tiger

A&M adds another year to Jones' deal

By REGGIE BENSON

Bulldogs coach's contract extended through 2006

Alabama A&M football coach Anthony Jones received a one-year contract extension Tuesday that could keep him with the Bulldogs through 2006.

Jones, the first coach to guide the Bulldogs to back-to-back eight-win seasons since Louis Crews did it from 1961-63, has a 16-8 record in his two seasons, including a 2-0 mark against rival Alabama State and last year's Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game appearance.

Alabama A&M missed out on this year's championship game with a loss to Alcorn State two weeks ago.

"I'm happy with the extension," Jones said. "I'm looking forward to being here through 2006."

Jones, whose base salary remains at $100,000, will make more money if he fulfills several incentive clauses in the contract.

Athletic director Jim Martin said because of the current economic picture at A&M, school officials couldn't give Jones a raise. But Martin said Jones will be compensated through incentive clauses.

"Coach Jones has done an outstanding job the last two years," Martin said. "We are very pleased with his performance and his team's performance. That's why his contract was extended. We hope he'll be here through the duration of his contract."

The Bulldogs finished the regular season with a 50-0 rout of Arkansas-Pine Bluff last Saturday. It was the fifth time this season A&M had scored 40 or more points, and was its fourth shutout of the season, the first time that has happened since 1941.

"We had a very good season," Jones said. "We had an opportunity to extend play and we made some mistakes that didn't get us there. I'm very proud of our seniors. I'm very proud that after every loss we had we came back and righted the ship."

Jones has several holes to fill if the Bulldogs are to contend for the SWAC championship in 2004.

A&M must replace 14 starters - eight on defense, five on defense and punter/place-kicker Rashad Cylar - before next season.

A&M loses four of its top seven tacklers. On offense, the Bulldogs lose their leading rusher and their top three receivers.

Cylar, who was among the top punters and place-kickers in the league, will be sorely missed. He averaged 38.2 yards per punt and made 13-of-21 field goals and 34-of-37 extra points for a total of 73 points.

"I look for people to pick us toward the bottom of the heap next year," Jones said. "We have some holes to fill. That's part of coaching ... part of the challenge of coaching and we're looking forward to that challenge."

Jones said A&M's immediate needs include defensive backs, defensive ends, offensive linemen, receivers and another running back, despite the return of Lanier Bush and Trevis O'Neal.

Bush was A&M's second-leading rusher, while O'Neal - a transfer from Alabama - has tremendous potential.

Back