A&M puts stop to party Organizers deny blackface event is racist

pantherprowl

I have never liked TA&MU since I found out that they have been stealing the funding that should have been set aside for PV.

Additionally, many of the blacks that attend TA&MU must be Uncle Toms. Atleast, two of them in this are definitely uncle tomish. Odin needs to slapped silly for saying " such parties are not necessarily offensive". :slap:

Jan. 18, 2003, 1:34AM

A&M puts stop to party
Organizers deny blackface event is racist
By RON NISSIMOV
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
Texas A&M University officials are embarrassed over a blackface party that some students had planned for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

After meeting with angry university officials this week, student organizers apologized and canceled the "Think Ghetto" party they have held for several years without the knowledge of school officials. Paid student residential advisers at the 300-resident Walton Hall dormitory have helped organize the parties, which have been in a home in nearby Bryan.

According to an anonymous letter that alerted university officials Wednesday about the parties, "the participants dress either in black face or other negative stereotypes of African-Americans (i.e. gangsters, rappers, etc.)"

"I have never thought this was a good thing to do and was sending the wrong message from what I believed that A&M stood for," said the letter, which was addressed to Mark Taplette, a university official who is black.

The revelations came to light as 1,000 university black student leaders descended on the College Station campus to attend its 15th annual Southwestern Black Leadership Conference.

University officials are investigating the nature of the parties and what role the staff of residential advisers have played in organizing them.

And, once again, officials are scrambling to dispel long-held perceptions that the 85 percent white school isn't hospitable to minorities.

"Such incidents show a lack of respect for others, are destructive to the residence hall community, and are a disgrace and embarrassment to Texas A&M University," said a letter issued to Walton Hall residents Thursday by Ron Sasse, A&M's director of residence life. "The mission of Texas A&M University states that the `University campus must encourage a climate that values and nurtures collegiality, diversity, pluralism, and the uniqueness of each person.' "

"A&M is known for its friendliness," Sasse said Friday. "When something like this happens, naturally it makes it more difficult to change negative perceptions. We're looking at how we can make this a positive event, at how we can make things better. If life gives you a lemon, you make a lemonade."

He said university officials met Wednesday with a full-time director of Walton Hall and 11 students who comprise the staff of residential advisers. The party was advertised in Walton Hall on a list of activities recommended by student staffers, Sasse said.

The director, Shannon Ensom, has publicly said she didn't know about the event. But all 11 students, one of whom is black, told officials they knew about the parties. The students asked, "What's the problem?" Sasse said.

Sasse said some black students have attended the parties in "ghetto" costume.

"We're having a hard time understanding how anyone could see a party of this kind and not understand it's a problem," Sasse said.

He said future A&M residential staffers will be required to undergo more stringent diversity sensitivity training. He said it is too early to tell if any students will be disciplined.

The students who organized the party issued a letter denying their actions were racist.

"We want to apologize for organizing a party with a ghetto theme," the letter said. "We never intended to offend anyone. After talking to our African-American friends, we promised the event will be canceled permanently. ... We have a saying in Walton: It doesn't matter where you're from; you're always welcome in our family."

In recent years, disclosures of similar parties at other universities have generated outcries and even suspensions of fraternities. Most of these parties have been at Southern universities, including Auburn University, the University of Mississippi, the University of Louisville and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. But such parties have been in other areas as well, including a 1998 party at Ivy-League Dartmouth College that drew heated protests.

Texas A&M, with its rich traditions that stem from its past as an all-male, overwhelmingly white school that provided military training to rural youths, is often regarded as inhospitable to minorities.

University officials were similarly embarrassed last year after the student newspaper published several editorial cartoons that were offensive to various ethnic groups. Student demonstrators had what was described as the largest rally over race relations in the school's 126-year history.

A&M President Robert Gates has repeatedly said since taking over in August that increasing diversity would be one of his top priorities. He recently created the position of vice president for diversity, which has not yet been filled.

A&M senior Odin Clack of Galveston, an organizer of the Black Student Leadership conference, said the revelations of the parties have not generated much discussion among the black student leaders. He said such parties are not necessarily offensive, adding that he did not know enough about the A&M parties to make a judgment.

You beat me at posting this article.

What makes this even worse is that a black student didn't see a problem with this party!!! There are several variables that I can think of that leads me to believe why he/she would feel this way. But I won't play "Psychologist" today.

But I will say this; some of our parents in this day and age believe HBCU's do not or can not offer their kids a competitive education but that is so far from the truth. Some kids aren't taught our history and are told that "We all need to get over this racism thing. And schools such as Texas A&M is not the Texas A&M of old."

Texas A&M has never properly funded Prairie View A&M University since it's doors open. I desperately encourage ALL PVAMU alums and students to watch "The Prairie View A&M Story".

And another thing, all local Houstonians please let me know if you ever see this story on Channel 2, 11, 13, 26 news. I'm sure I won't get a response.

Regards.

This should not suprise anyone:

Most European Americans - supported the Queen during the revolutionary war. :smh:

Some Jews - supported Hitler :smh:

Some Black - supported Slavery :smh:

Its human nature for some to support things that are not good for them. :smh:

Olde Hornet:
Reading some of the posts on this Board, I realize some just don't get it. It's very frustrating but what you said in your post is so true and nothing can be done about it.

we all go though it.

All public HBCUs have gone though this same kind of crap. Anywhere that you have a black college seeking state or even federal funding, PWC are going after the same funds. They have a better than average chance of getting it to, the funds a set aside for HBCUs.

Same with the blackface parties. Happened in Auburn for us although we know it goes on at the UofA.

Ole Hornet, let me add another one. Some Blacks supported segregation. Some Blacks still support the cause of the old Confederacy.

As for the quote by the Black student, I hope that he was misquoted. For his sake I sure hope so. There was a big controversy last year created by the cartoon last year.

In addition to watching the The Prairie View A&M Story, people need to buy the video. I have two and will give one to my father or aunt.

We had a couple of incidents like that at Tulane. The first was several years ago (before I started) with a fraternity choosing to march down McAlister Drive in Black Face during an MLK parade. They were kicked off the campus and haven't been recognized by the school since. However, this same group decided to have their own MLK party, and they passed out fliers at TU and Loyola about it. The schools couldn't officially reprimand them, but there was enough of an outcry from students--both Black and white--that the national chapter eventually issued an apology. Another incident occured a few years back with certain individuals trying intimidation tactics on Black students. Again, we stood together and got the problem solved.

The difference between places like TAMU and other universities is that TAMU is all about brainwashing, following, and the negation of the individual. Critical thinkers or those with dissenting viewpoints need not apply. One lesson to learn from (beyond the obvious) is to be careful that WE don't display the same behaviour. Sadly, I think that it is too late. Calling a student an "Uncle Tom" simply because he attends a school is the same type of thoughts that the Aggies have. Let's not be like them.

Originally posted by sophandros
We had a couple of incidents like that at Tulane. The first was several years ago (before I started) with a fraternity choosing to march down McAlister Drive in Black Face during an MLK parade. They were kicked off the campus and haven't been recognized by the school since.

SOPHANDROS, isn't Tulane jewish?

Originally posted by BgJag

SOPHANDROS, isn't Tulane jewish?

When Paul Tulane donated his money, he wanted it for only Jewish males. It has, of course, changed since then. However, TU still gets Jewish Holidays off and they put up a Menorah on campus for Hannukah. Many of my friends there were Jewish.

Originally posted by sophandros

When Paul Tulane donated his money, he wanted it for only Jewish males. It has, of course, changed since then. However, TU still gets Jewish Holidays off and they put up a Menorah on campus for Hannukah. Many of my friends there were Jewish.

I had to put a dude in check who went to USM one time because he referred to Tulane as "Jewlane and looked at me as if I was "gonna laugh or something".

I then said, "So what do you call Jackson State when the bruthas aren't around??" After stammering he said, Uhh, I don't have any problem with JSU. I then asked him so you only make Racist comments when the opposing ethnic group is not around. He was thoroughly punked, so I made my point.

:(

Sophandros: Do you know anything about Paul Tulane's black family. There was a mullato black named Victor Tulane who moved to Montgomery in the early 1900s from Louisiana. He became very wealthy operating a mercantile establishment on Centential Hill. He was also a real estate developer. The largest public housing community in the city was named for him (Tulane Court). His former property has been designated a National Landmark which Alabama State is now restoring. Several years ago his grand daughter visited Montgomery and told the story about the connection to the famous Tulane family and Tulane University. She argued that her grand father was denied his inheritance entitled to him. She also spoke of filing a suit against the Tulane Foundation. I have not heard anymore about this since her visit. Are you aware of this story. Does the family acknowledge any of their black relatives. I know this is off the subject, but reading your post brought this to mind.

This is not the most ingratiating thing to hear about. It just goes to show that some places aren't in our interest.

Back