A Heisman winner at GSU? Fans of QB Bruce Eugene are going to try.

Jafus (Thinker)

Posted by The Dreamer on the MEACFANS site. Nice Article. Continue to push the envelope Mr. Kenn Rashad.

A Heisman winner at GSU? Fans of QB Bruce Eugene are going to try.

Nick Deriso

nderiso@thenewsstar.com

July 7, 2004

http://www.thenewsstar.com/sports/html/B7F74FA7-6DAA-4E34-9B16-1DF00AF63AFB.shtml

GRAMBLING - Supporters from Grambling State are mounting a Heisman Trophy campaign for record-breaking senior quarterback Bruce Eugene.

It won't be easy.

"He's got an outstanding story," said interim GSU coach Melvin Spears, who recruited Eugene to GSU. "You're talking about a guy who came out of the St. Thomas housing project (in New Orleans). It's a major feat if he's even considered in that company right now."y

Eugene says making the list would be a great moment not only for himself, but for Grambling State.

"Being mentioned for an award like that lets me know that I'm doing what's being asked - and we're getting recognized," said Eugene, who has set GSU's single-season marks for yards, completions and TDs. "In the process, that helps other Grambling players get recognized and helps my school gets its name out there."

But, like all Division I-AA performers, Eugene will face an uphill battle for recognition by Heisman voters.

"I certainly feel that his accomplishments, his numbers, are worthy of the accolade," said former GSU quarterback James "Shack" Harris, vice president of player personnel for the Jacksonville Jaguars. "But realistically, the Heisman is not something he can win. It's not Bruce. It's the system."

Alcorn State standout Steve McNair remains the highest recent vote-getter from I-AA. He finished third in 1994 - only to go on to league MVP honors while the top two choices, Rashaan Salaam and Ki-Jana Carter, have struggled in the NFL. Doug Williams finished fourth in the 1977 Heisman voting behind eventual winner Earl Campbell.

"But the Heisman Trophy, when you think about it, honors the best player in college football - whatever the division," Spears said. "Does that mean the best guy in his conference, the best guy on his team or just the best guy? The question I pose is this: What if the best college football player does not play in Division I-A?"

Grambling State supporters will use technology to present that message.

Kenn Rashad - a 1990 GSU graduate best known for launching the SWACPage.com site - has offered to help design a separate Heisman Web site for GSU. It's something that could quickly raise Eugene's profile among potential voters who don't closely follow Division I-AA football.

"Instead of trying to get the media to see Bruce Eugene, I thought we could bring Bruce Eugene to the media," Rashad said. "I'd like to see some flash components that illustrated what he did week by week on the field, with perhaps some video highlights that could be downloaded."

The Web site is still in the earliest planning stages, Rashad added.

E-mails were sent out a couple of weeks ago by Peter Forest, GSU's director of athletic media relations, that asked selected people to participate in a Heisman steering committee.

"We are in the process of putting together a group of supporters," Spears said. "When all the students get back, in August, we will also have a introductory party."

The hope isn't that Eugene wins so much as gets some measure of recognition for what he's already accomplished at Grambling State.

"He may not win the award," Rashad said, "but he most certainly should be on the list."

Eugene, who wowed observers even as a redshirt freshman out of New Orleans' Cohen High School, was a part-time starter during GSU's 2001 SWAC title season - then led the Tigers to another championship in 2002.

He is the school's record-holder in passing completions, attempts, yards and total offense, and is ranked second in passing touchdowns.

That dominance led to two consecutive top-three finishes in voting in the Walter Payton Award, which recognizes Division I-AA's offensive player of the year. He was third in 2002, then second last season.

Harris, who won or shared the conference title in every season he played at GSU in the 1960s, thinks Eugene will return to the Payton Watch List as a senior. "He should be a top candidate for the best player in Division I-AA," Harris said.

Eugene was also named a first-team All-America quarterback by The Sports Network in 2003, then a second-team quarterback on The Associated Press' All-America football team.

"I guess the only thing I can say about Eugene and the Heisman list is: How can you not have him on that list?" Rashad said. "He has been a finalist for the Walter Payton Award the last two years and I am certain he will be a finalist again this year. Being a finalist among the best football players on the I-AA level automatically makes Eugene better than many of the players on the I-A level."

Too, as more people hear about Eugene, they also reacquaint themselves with a Grambling State football program that was reborn under former coach Doug Williams.

"My outlook, my vision, is more institutional - rather than winning the award," said former offensive coordinator Spears, who took over as interim when Williams resigned in February. "It's about having the opportunity to have a guy that's talked about all over the country. That's good for Grambling. If you can have one kid say Bruce Eugene is a Heisman Trophy candidate, and look twice at Grambling, then we've done what we need to do from a marketing standpoint."

The News-Star
July 7, 2004

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
We may need to keep Doug in the fold (instant credibility). If Gram can garner anything remotely close to the press Air McNair generated -- Gram can be back on the map like during the glory days.

Eugene has the advantage because unlike Alcorn -- Gram has been on the stage in terms of national appeal (4 faces in Canton, Shack Harris, Doug, Coach Rob).

I look for a 60% completion from Bruce this year. His TD/INT ratio has always been stellar, and there is not any doubt he will get his yards. The running game will propel him this year.

I hate to say this but I have to.

If the NCAA's career total yardage leader couldn't win the Heisman Trophy, what are the odds of Bruce Eugene winning it?

McNair was on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the cover saying "Hand Him the Heisman" and he still finished in third place. The odds of a 1-AA player winning the Heisman is pretty slim.

Antroy said:
I hate to say this but I have to.

If the NCAA's career total yardage leader couldn't win the Heisman Trophy, what are the odds of Bruce Eugene winning it?

McNair was on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the cover saying "Hand Him the Heisman" and he still finished in third place. The odds of a 1-AA player winning the Heisman is pretty slim.

Yeah, the article pointed realism of the situation. However, the goal is to showcase to America that Grambling is still Icon Grambling (a cradle of marquee players), and Bruce Eugene is NFL material.

After thinking about it why not. The great Rickie Weeks won every award in baseball. Big Bruce is at a very well known school.I think if McNair was at Grambling,Southern, J-State maybe he would have won the Heisman.

I tried to tell you all last year about this time that Bruce is the best QB in the SWAC since Air McNair. Many made a mockery of it. Eugene is a very lethal double threat.

I will say it again.....Brugene throws that pigskin like it is a baseball. Further, I have seen him run through so many tackles and run over so many poor DB's until I have thought about writing my congressman to outlaw this type of abuse.

Some of you all are on your own little fantasy island when it comes to objectivity as well as an eye for talent. The boy is bad to the bone! Will he win the Heisman? Based on my past experiences and observations, probably not. Should his name be on the list? Certainly so. Should he have won the Payton in 2002? YES! Was he the best in 2003 and should have won the Payton? Maybe, though much closer than in 2002.

I believe not only the gross disregard of Doug's minor football related request, but the lack of vision in scheduling for this talent laden team justifies a change in athletic administration at Grambling State. This type of talent needs to be challenged. I know some may say the former AD tried. My response is the same as it is for those basketball coaches. No excuses please; just get the job done or move over and let someone else do it!

That was very well stated JROCK! I had to look at your sig again to make sure you were a Southernite. lol.

JROCK said:
I tried to tell you all last year about this time that Bruce is the best QB in the SWAC since Air McNair. Many made a mockery of it. Eugene is a very lethal double threat.

I will say it again.....Brugene throws that pigskin like it is a baseball. Further, I have seen him run through so many tackles and run over so many poor DB's until I have thought about writing my congressman to outlaw this type of abuse.
ummmmm,
:smh:

JagCynic said:
Is Bruce?

just asking...
Maybe in a very weak year he could pace in the top 15. But I doubt it. Forget the stats and all, he just doesn't have enough national buzz around him. Heisman type buzz isn't something u can generate during your senior year unless you're at a major school.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SUjagTILLiDIE said:
After thinking about it why not. The great Rickie Weeks won every award in baseball. Big Bruce is at a very well known school.I think if McNair was at Grambling,Southern, J-State maybe he would have won the Heisman.

You must not know the national attention that Alcorn got during McNair's last 2 years at Alcorn when it was discovered that he could break the NCAA career total yardage mark.
There were cameras all along the sidelines at every Alcorn game. Alcorn was in 3 or 4 televised games (some were nationally televised). There was a song out called "Hand him the Heisman" made by some Alcorn students. Sports Illustrated put McNair on the cover of their magazine with the caption being "Hand him the Heisman."
Alcorn was everywhere, but he still finished behind Rashann Salaam and Ki-Jana Carter. Where are those two at now?

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
McNair couldn't have gotten more attention than he got at Alcorn. He did about the best anyone from the SWAC will ever do when it comes to garnering national attention.

Antroy said:
You must not know the national attention that Alcorn got during McNair's last 2 years at Alcorn when it was discovered that he could break the NCAA career total yardage mark.
There were cameras all along the sidelines at every Alcorn game. Alcorn was in 3 or 4 televised games (some were nationally televised). There was a song out called "Hand him the Heisman" made by some Alcorn students. Sports Illustrated put McNair on the cover of their magazine with the caption being "Hand him the Heisman."
Alcorn was everywhere, but he still finished behind Rashann Salaam and Ki-Jana Carter. Where are those two at now?

Dude,
I applaud you for that statement you have made. :tup:
McNair took his team to the Super Bowl on his back.

If Grambling gets half the buzz that McNair got then it would be a great accomplishment. Forget that, 1/4 of the buzz...

Back