94 Freak Nik Documentary: Who Has Apologized Early

Before I came back to my hometown to get my 2nd Degree from AAMU, I attended and went to another HBCU that was a short drive from the ATL. I actually never went to Freaknik but from 90-94, I got word and saw all of (thanks to the videos of my schoolmates who went) how and what actually went down from plenty of peers as if I was there.

I mean, I have nothing but positive thoughts on all that I observed. Particularly in 92-93, I just saw it all as young minds just hanging, enjoying life. In fact, I kinda think it played a role in helping Atlanta become more of an influential city than it already was as they seemed to experience a burst of population and economic growth around this time. It no longer felt like the same city it was before that I would I often visit. I always liked Atlanta. I think Freaknik helped to bring in more peeps and help the city to evolve.

As for the crazier stuff from my generation, it was no different than what was going on with other kinds of folks in Daytona, Panama City, and other places. Unless someone was doing something criminal, I don't feel anyone should apologize for anything. When you are young you are young and don't always know anybetter about certain things. I laugh at my own self from time to time when I think that the Million Man March in 95 was created so that those from my generation that did God who knows what at Freaknik could atone for his sins.

#randomthoughts :D😅

Last edited:

Growing up in Houston I heard about Freaknik but I wasn't old enough to go and by the time I was it was shut down. The closest thing we had to it in state was the Kappa Beach Party. Which I also to young to attend and by the time I was I changed my mind because from what I heard it had fallen off tremendously.

The guy who wrote books about how to teach men "to actually become players and macks" chimes in.

Come On Ugh GIF by Bounce

The guy who wrote books about how to teach men "to actually become players and macks" chimes in.

Come On Ugh GIF by Bounce

@Rated R Superstar Yep, he did indeed.. I still have copy of his book, the Art of Macking that he signed when he came to my town years ago. In fact, I can go even deeper in research as Tariq was in the 69 Boyz "Tootsie Roll" video too, a popular song during that Freaknik era.

Still, can we give the man some credit for evolving? None of us will be perfect but The Hidden Color Series, the Hidden History Museum that he built, and other things he has done is nothing for one to roll his eyes at. Yes I don't agree with everything that he says or does but I look beyond it because he still has put in a lot of good work for the culture.

In fact I just had an interesting thought. Back to the subject at hand, if they really wanted to put out the business of the things that went on at Freaknik, one will discover that some of these young ladies and gentleman that were in these old Freaknik videos dancing on top of cars and doing what they do would later become Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, Business Owners, Politicians, Dentists, and etc. But nah, opportunists want to flip the possible narratives and focus on the ratchedness....it is what it is..

Anyhow, we all evolve (wink) I know I have, I think I am on it like never before...yet I am still a work in progress...LOL

I mean Tariq is every bit of the opportunist you accuse the Freaknik documentarians to be.

But yeah, everybody knows what Freaknik was, why it was popular and it’s eventual demise. All this fear mongering over over how it makes people look it is silly, to be honest.

The last thing I remember about freaknik is the 👮‍♀️ making folks show ID to get on my street. I knew at that point the end was nigh…

@Rated R Superstar Yep, he did indeed.. I still have copy of his book, the Art of Macking that he signed when he came to my town years ago. In fact, I can go even deeper in research as Tariq was in the 69 Boyz "Tootsie Roll" video too, a popular song during that Freaknik era.

Still, can we give the man some credit for evolving? None of us will be perfect but The Hidden Color Series, the Hidden History Museum that he built, and other things he has done is nothing for one to roll his eyes at. Yes I don't agree with everything that he says or does but I look beyond it because he still has put in a lot of good work for the culture.

In fact I just had an interesting thought. Back to the subject at hand, if they really wanted to put out the business of the things that went on at Freaknik, one will discover that some of these young ladies and gentleman that were in these old Freaknik videos dancing on top of cars and doing what they do would later become Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, Business Owners, Politicians, Dentists, and etc. But nah, opportunists want to flip the possible narratives and focus on the ratchedness....it is what it is..

Anyhow, we all evolve (wink) I know I have, I think I am on it like never before...yet I am still a work in progress...LOL
Great point and I concur wholeheartedly. While I never attended Freaknik I had my "wilding out times" being a professional musician gave me plenty of opportunities.

Back