8th Annual Best Places to Live and Work in America.

Re: MH, you may just guess right!

Originally posted by Bartram

Just remember my man,,, these polls are not from the perspective of mainstream black folk/HBCU grads,,, but do appeal to some in our group once your arse is out of school, looking for a job, got a family and kids, want a nice safe wholesum environment, good public and private schools,,, blah, blah, blah,,,,

Very good point! There are plenty of young African-Americans in Huntsville, single and married. While some of them don't find as much to do as they would in say Atlanta, there is enough going on to keep bringing them in. And when they consider that they can buy a home, drive a new car and maintain a substantial savings account in Huntsville alot cheaper than they can in Atlanta, they can go to Atlanta for the weekend to party, but they can go back home to a HOUSE with a front and back yard in Huntsville and not have to pay Atlanta-type mortgages.

Everybody knows, I love Huntsville to heart, but if you are a single black person in the 20s, things can be slow. If you are married or with a family, Huntsville is an excellent place to live. There are no bad areas. Crime isnt necessarilly high. It is segregated (could be good or bad),North Huntsville (Black) South Huntsville (white). Every since we got police precints, HPD has been pretty cool. JOBS for every age. You can actually get a GOOD job through temprary services. COST OF LIVING IS DAMN LOW. I am in Nashville now and I am paying 850 a month for an apt. If I was in Huntsville I would have some apt overlooking the mountain for what I am paying here. You can get something TIGHT for about 4 something in Huntsville.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Those points

There are plenty of young African-Americans in Huntsville, single and married. While some of them don't find as much to do as they would in say Atlanta, there is enough going on to keep bringing them in. And when they consider that they can buy a home, drive a new car and maintain a substantial savings account in Huntsville alot cheaper than they can in Atlanta, they can go to Atlanta for the weekend to party, but they can go back home to a HOUSE with a front and back yard in Huntsville and not have to pay Atlanta-type mortgages.

So true. A point missed by many in larger metros. Plus in cities like Huntsville or Greensboro or RDU or Jackson or Baton Rouge that are not quite the mega-metros with everything to offer like an Atlanta, for the most part the social scene is "doable" because of the influence of the HBCU culture, activities,, and easy proximity to the larger metros.

There are no bad areas. Crime isnt necessarilly high. It is segregated (could be good or bad),North Huntsville (Black) South Huntsville (white). Every since we got police precints, HPD has been pretty cool. JOBS for every age. You can actually get a GOOD job through temprary services. COST OF LIVING IS DAMN LOW. I am in Nashville now and I am paying 850 a month for an apt. If I was in Huntsville I would have some apt overlooking the mountain for what I am paying here. You can get something TIGHT for about 4 something in Huntsville.
:nod:

Precisely. I think that's why the Hvilles, the Athens, the MTs,, etc do well in certain polls; they recognize these general positive aspects of the smaller metro areas.

Back