401(k) balances at record high

CEE DOG

I can agree with this. :tup: 2012 was a good year.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/14/retirement/401k-balances/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

401(k) balances reached record highs in 2012, as a strong stock market and increased contributions helped retirement savers continue to recover from recession losses.

Fidelity Investment's average 401(k) balance hit $77,300 at the end of 2012 -- up nearly 12% from $69,100 in 2011, according to a report released Thursday by Fidelity, the country's largest provider representing 12 million U.S. workers.
The balance also tops the third quarter's average balance of $75,900, the highest recorded since 2000.

"It is very encouraging to see that the retirement balances have completely bounced back from where they were during the height of the downturn and that participants have continued to have faith in the 401(k)," said Jeanne Thompson, Fidelity's vice president for retirement insights.

this is good news...I hope more will contribute because SS may truly NOT be here for us.

On the other perspectives---folks are supposed to be doing horrible, no money, can't make it...but they can fund a 401K?? Media needs to get to one side of the fence also...

this is good news...I hope more will contribute because SS may truly NOT be here for us.

On the other perspectives---folks are supposed to be doing horrible, no money, can't make it...but they can fund a 401K?? Media needs to get to one side of the fence also...

The reason they have no money is because they're trying to get that pre-tax credit and put as much as possible in 401K to keep ole Uncle Sam from getting it!! Just my thoughts!!!!

L, I say that the 401K will not be there for it. It's Ponzi Scheme like SS and Madoff.

It's at record highs and the financial industry has a way to rob us.

Man the DOW, S&P and Nasdaq are at record highs. Man yall better get on it.

Too late Cee. Studies show most of the market (up and down moves) take place very quickly. That is why people who try to time the market lose. They usually buy high and sell low. The best way to invest is steady over a period of time and get dollar cost averaging.

Even if it is. It is still not enough for folks to live off. I look at SS being like my retirement beer money every month or slush fund for some trip. LOL.

On your second point, it is called sheering the sheep. The people with real money know when the bubble will bust and either get out of the market, or have enough assets to ride out a market downturn. The middle class, at the busting of the housing bubble, spend devalued assets (IRA, 401K standard accounts invested in stocks) at their lowest point, to keep a house at it's lowest retail value that they are paying for at the highest historical value in terms of amount owed. And many end of losing the home anyway after they exhaust their other assets.

So then, the people with real money buy up the stocks and the real estate at depressed values and ride them back up to the top.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/162353/stock-ownership-stays-record-low.aspx
May 8, 2013
U.S. Stock Ownership Stays at Record Low
The 52% who own stocks continues trend of sub-60% readings seen since 2009
by Lydia Saad

PRINCETON, NJ -- Despite strong gains in the stock market over the past year, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average's reaching record highs in the past month, stock ownership among U.S. adults is at its lowest level in Gallup trends since 1998, essentially unchanged from a year ago. Just over half of Americans, 52%, now say they personally, or jointly with a spouse, own stock outright or as part of a mutual fund or self-directed retirement account.

Back