4 foods it's safe to cut the mold off and eat and 4 it isn't, according to a food safety expert

Olde Hornet

Well-Known Member

Foods you can't cut the mold off include yogurt and pasta sauces​

In terms of foods to avoid, Anderson said she wouldn't eat foods like yogurt, sour cream, and soft cheese if they had mold on. Even if you cut it off, there's still moisture underneath where it could still grow.

When it comes to pasta sauces, Anderson said "definitely not" to spooning off the mold. "And that's a real bummer because I buy really expensive pesto sauce," she said.

Even if you can't see any more mold after scraping it away, it doesn't necessarily mean the food is edible. It's not just the case of being a bit gross as some molds produce toxic substances that can cause an allergic reaction, so it's better to be err on the side of caution, she said.

Anderson said she has cut the mold off the last piece of bread when desperate for a slice of toast. "But then when I've got to eat it, the smell is disgusting," she said. It's generally not advisable to eat bread that has had mold on it, even if you cut it off.