30 Years of the Bayou Classic....

Stormy

extradinaire d'auteur
<center>Hey Southernites & Gramblingnites!
Let?s take a moment to enjoy the history of
and reminisce about the great rivalry that is
The Bayou Classic
1001195suhelmet1.gif
1001195gsuhelmet1.gif

1001195sfbc-301.gif

Before things get all rowdy over there---------------> :swink:
In the 29 Years, What was your favorite
Bayou Classic moment?
</center>

My favorite Bayou Classic moment was the entire weekend of B.C.
when my girls and I went to our last "Ladies Weekend
Out B.C."
. In one weekend we hustled our way into the V.I.P
room of the House of Blues, Had diner at Brennan's w/Leah
Chase, went to a party thrown my Malik Yoba, Held court in
a skybox for the game and hustled some Grambling men out
of their money (with a bet on the game). Those were the days
and I know that time is forever over. Now we're all married
most with kids and although we still get together for the game
it will never be the same...but the memories will last a lifetime.......

;)
-Astrya

Ebony

There was a pretty good article the last Ebony about the Classic. For those who don't know, this is a must weekend. Personally I can't make it this year but....next year certainly looms. The Classic weekend is the most fun one can possibly have in one weekend.

My favorite Bayou Classic was around 85/86. About 9 of us girls went down to NO, got one Hotel room just to change our clothes.
We started drinking those Hurricanes walking down Burbon/Canal streets. Don't remember exactly how much we dranked that night, but I do remember one of the girls calling for "Casper the Friendly Ghost":lmao:
When we woked up that Sunday Morning we all were kind of sick to our stomach.

I also remember going to Bayou Classic as a child with my parents (DAD-SU Grad, MOM-GSU Grad)

My most memorable moment was when me and my roommates when to the classic in 93. We hung out on bourbon street, drunk some hurricanes and met a few women. Man we have a good time that whole weekend. I remember it like it was yesterday.

All of the Classics that I have gone to were memorable experience. I've shared some good times with family and friends...it was really nice when the kids were young and we made it our family vacation.

But the one that I will never forget is the first one I ever made in 1977. I was a graduating senior and finally got a chance to go.
Times were tough financially and before then, I could never attend. My older sister gave me $20 spending money and me and my homeboy (college sophomore sitting out that semester) drove his raggedy azz gremlin down to Nawlins (We picked up and sold pecans for gas money and extra cash) with about $30-$35 each.

We had homefolk who lived down there and lived in the hood. We bounced from house to house and slept/ate as we went. Don't remember how we hustled up on tickets cuz we didn't have any when we left North La. Anyway, we ended up in a suite (his father had come over from Houston--my friend didn't live with his pops-- and told us he had two suite passes). Those folk treated us so nice...when they found out I was a graduating senior, they were glad to offer up advice (Drunk azz grownups love to do that isht). A few of them even slipped a couple of $5's and $10 on the kid and wished me well. (That was really cool of them to do that)

Anyway, I will never forget the experience! That was my first ever trip to Nawlins. I had never experienced the craziness of French Qtr and all the sights and sounds of the Classic. I will never forget that!

my favorite year was 1999 .my family and i went down there and stayed for one day .we went to the battle of the bands and everything. i will never forget the feeling when i walked in the dome and saw over 60k of us mingling and talking. it sounded like sweet music. although my tigers lost a 31-10 halftime lead it was great being with my family.i can't wait til this year . i wish my wife could go but she is not.i am looking forward to going to the game this year. this has the potential to be the best game in years and i can't wait to be in the dome.let's pack the house this year.72k strong !!!!!!!!!!!!

Every year I attend the Bayou Classic is my favorite year. Win or Lose. The Bayou Classic is more than just a game or a weekend, it is a "Feeling." The way you feeling when you get to New Orleans, Friday morning and see all of the Grambling and Southern fans, young and old, getting together. There is nothing like it. This is the Super Bowl of Black College football.

I have more than one memory of the classic. Classic 1991, my 2nd year @ SU. Man I thought we were some ballers. Went down there right after Thanksgiving Dinner and had 3 nights paid for at the Sheraton. We rented a Dodge Spirit and it was 5 of us down there deep. But the party some girls threw on the 23rd floor was TIGHT. They were making drinks in their room then the red light bulbs came on and the party got jumpin...

Classic 1993...Jr year @ SU, I just bought a 91 Beretta and it was me and one of my cousins, same deal, left right after Turkey Day Dinner (in Gonzales) and headed to the city. By then we KNEW we were Ballin...Until my girl(at that time) showed up, Friday Night.:)eek2: ) But she treated me and my two roommates to breakfast at Shoneys(actually SHE was ballin) I was mad I could not go out that Saturday night though. Everybody else got 4 hours of sleep in three days. I got 12 hours of sleep after the game.

:mad:

I will never forget classic 82 and 84. 82 was when SU came back on Gram and wore them out 50-20. This was when the game was at night. 84 classic was when I went and saw my brother step in the greek show for the first time. Rather not talk about 94 classic.
95 was a blur and 90,91,92,93 anc 96-98 were the BEST though.

Thank God I am married...

:cool:

Man, yall are making me want to go to the Bayou Classic!!

I've never been to the BC before! :(

*walking out holding head down in shame*

I remember it like it was yesterday!!

BC 1999... my first time going ALSO i was a crab in S U band!!!

I remember that friday night.. getting ready for the botb..thinking YES!!! im about to cross!!

We went to the dome..and b4 we marched in.. i got all numb over from being nervous and excited all at once!

when we marched in.. i swear i never stepped so hard..the botb
when we opened with purple c... i was like heyul yea! we blow the "s" out of gram!

now to the game.. b4 the game we got to the dome around 6am.. us and gsu bands where there to practice..and afterwards we all talked noise..im talkin cash money"s'..lol
fastforward!!

halftime gsu 31 su 10.. MR J told the whole band!! LOOK FELLAS WE'RE GOIN TO WIN THIS GAME!! we all looked at the scoreboard and was like yeah right!! but sure enough.. well yall know the score.. After the game.. i still had a fresh bald head and a su band windsuit on.. walking down burbon st.. females running up huggin me and taking pics.. like i was a superstar! A couple chicks grabbed may butt and smile..smh.. newayz i was so drunk that night.. i dont even remember getting in.. that was ONE of the best BC i've been to.. i remember it best b/c it was my first!

now i could tell yall about other BC.. but lol.. it would turn into a NC-17 conversation..lol..

I must say.. if you havent been to the BC (alcorn warrior) it is a must go game/weekend! the whole feel/vibe of that weekend is undescribable.. u just have to be there to even get 1% of what it is like!! video tapes..and commentaries does that weekend no justice at all!

:)

Like most of the others, I have several favorite BCs. My favorite BC all time was in 1981 when SU won 50-20. We had a horrible season that year and came into the classic with 2-8 record. That was a great experience because the victory was so unexpected.

I also enjoyed the heck out of BC 1985 when I started going to BC with my friends instead of my family. BC 1987 was great because we won and I spent most of it with my honey (ZNSPR8502). BC 1988 was the bomb because that was my last as a student and we won.

I haven't missed a BC since I started going when I was 12 years old (1978). I even went in 1995 when I was big and pregnant and supposed to be at home in Dallas instead of walking up and down the streets of New Orleans (funniest thing was that I wasn't the only one hundreds of miles away from home and on the brink of delivering a baby - 2 of my girlfriends were also with me within weeks of delivering their kids too).

There is definately nothing like the BC. Many classics have come and gone all over the country (and most aspire to be like the BC)but Bayou Classic will always be tops with me.

Who would have imagined that a game between 2 black colleges would have grown to the level that it is now.

I don't have a favorite, since the first game in 1974 it has been more than a football game. Whether win or lose it has been some of the best weekends in my lifetime.:) I was at the first Bayou Classic played at Tulane staudium, still have the ticket in my high school memory book: Note the ticket for the Alcorn/Grambling game in 1975, that was the first football game played in the Superdome.

WHAT??

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
Man, yall are making me want to go to the Bayou Classic!!

I've never been to the BC before! :(

*walking out holding head down in shame*

Man, you gotta go to at least one. I know its a stretch from the Capital City Classic the weekend before. But I got fam that went to Alcorn and jSU and they tell me...Bruh you gotta come to the SOUL BOWL.

Originally posted by BgJag
I don't have a favorite, since the first game in 1974 it has been more than a football game. Whether win or lose it has been some of the best weekends in my lifetime.:) I was at the first Bayou Classic played at Tulane staudium, still have the ticket in my high school memory book: Note the ticket for the Alcorn/Grambling game in 1975, that was the first football game played in the Superdome.

Boy we have really suffered from inflation. Take a look at those ticket prices!!

I attended both of those games also. (74 BC & 1st college game played in the dome (Alcorn & Gram).

Terrace Seating was 8 dollars? LOL :lol:

I have two most memorable Bayou Classics!

First one was 1979:
My senior year at SU and my girls and I booked a room at the Hyatt Regency, which was big time because the other 3 years we stayed in "low rent" motels! We decided to splurge our last year, our last Bayou Classic as students.

My parents (father SU Class of 54, mother SU Class of 60) decided not to drive down for the game. They would just sit this one out and watch/listen to the game. My father decided at the last minute he couldn't stay home, he just had a feeling about this game. Grambling had beat us 8 years in a row and he couldn't go to church, work, nowhere without Grambling alums smacking the hell out of him about each lost. One fellow deacon asked him every year, why do you go when you know Grambling is going to beat Southern! Well he would always say, "Southern will win one year and I want to make sure I am there when they do!"

Anyway, there is a group of Southernites and Gramblingnites who travel via bus each year from Shreveport to New Orleans. He said what the hell and rode with them. He said the Grambling folk teased them the whole way and that it was HELL. :lmao: Well, we won that year 14-7 and when I went to where my dad was sitting, he jumped up and said "BABY I CAN RIDE BACK ON THE BUS!!!!" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

He said that on the way back, a SU alum, Dr. Sarpy sung WHO DAT TALKIN' BOUT BEATING DEM JAGS, all the way back to Shreveport. By the time they got to Natchitoches, his voice had given out and all you could hear was this raspy sound NO WORDS! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Dr. Sarpy kept running up and down the aisles telling the Gramblingnites to wake up wake up!

We partied so hard in NOLA that night that we didn't get back to campus until Sunday night at 11:30 p.m.

Second most memorable was 1995:
My godson was the starting QB and he was awarded the MVP of the Bayou Classic!!! I couldn't have been more proud! :bawling:

Bayou Classic 1989 was my most memorable Bayou Classic. I was a freshman at Southern. Me and my suitemates went to New Orleans with a bunch of friends and had a ball. I think I was sick for a week after the Classic. :(

Re: I have two most memorable Bayou Classics!

Originally posted by Seeing Spots
First one was 1979:
My senior year at SU and my girls and I booked a room at the Hyatt Regency, which was big time because the other 3 years we stayed in "low rent" motels! We decided to splurge our last year, our last Bayou Classic as students.

My parents (father SU Class of 54, mother SU Class of 60) decided not to drive down for the game. They would just sit this one out and watch/listen to the game. My father decided at the last minute he couldn't stay home, he just had a feeling about this game. Grambling had beat us 8 years in a row and he couldn't go to church, work, nowhere without Grambling alums smacking the hell out of him about each lost. One fellow deacon asked him every year, why do you go when you know Grambling is going to beat Southern! Well he would always say, "Southern will win one year and I want to make sure I am there when they do!"

Anyway, there is a group of Southernites and Gramblingnites who travel via bus each year from Shreveport to New Orleans. He said what the hell and rode with them. He said the Grambling folk teased them the whole way and that it was HELL. :lmao: Well, we won that year 14-7 and when I went to where my dad was sitting, he jumped up and said "BABY I CAN RIDE BACK ON THE BUS!!!!" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

He said that on the way back, a SU alum, Dr. Sarpy sung WHO DAT TALKIN' BOUT BEATING DEM JAGS, all the way back to Shreveport. By the time they got to Natchitoches, his voice had given out and all you could hear was this raspy sound NO WORDS! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Dr. Sarpy kept running up and down the aisles telling the Gramblingnites to wake up wake up!

We partied so hard in NOLA that night that we didn't get back to campus until Sunday night at 11:30 p.m.

Second most memorable was 1995:
My godson was the starting QB and he was awarded the MVP of the Bayou Classic!!! I couldn't have been more proud! :bawling:

Spots

Tell your daddy that my daddy knows how it feels to be teased by Gramblingnites. My mother graduated from Grambling I think around 1964, anyway I can remember as a young child going to Bayou Classic how my mother would tease my daddy about how Grambling would beat Southern. My mother would ride him all the way home.
I grew up with the Bayou Classic since all of my mother's people went to Grambling and all of my Daddy's people went to Southern.
My hometown in Louisiana is very small, but come Nov. you would see RV's getting geared up to head to N.O. I will always remember those times.

Ok here goes

Bayou Classic 1998

I was in my last year of law school and I had studied so hard to be able to take the entire weekend off to kick it, so I was ready to have a blast. My LS(a Su grad) and I had made plans to go together. We rode down to New Orleans with the GSU flag on one window and the Su flag on the other. Cars were blowing at us all along I-10 pointing at the flags like what's up with having both schools flags. We just laughed it off. We stayed at the Ramada on Canal that year. As soon as we got out the car, we started seeing people we knew checking in too. We got to the Battle of the Bands late so we were sitting wayyyyy at the top hollering and screaming. She hollered when Su played and I hollered when Gram played. We hung out walking up and down Bourbon Street all night. The weather was perfect. There were so many people we saw that we knew it was ridiculous. I saw folks from Gram that I hadn't seen in years. We took so many pictures with our sorors and frat brothers. We ran into my former sweetie pie's brother and I was so excited because he said my sweetie pie was gonna be coming down on Saturday. :cool:

Saturday came quick, since we got in at around 4am and only had a few hours of sleep. We got ready for the game. We were looking toooo cute. One of the best things about New Orleans is walking everywhere and seeing folks. So, of course, we walked to the game. It was my responsibility to get the game tickets. Of course, I got tickets that were on Gram's side. My LS was too upset when she saw we were gonna be sitting surrounded by Gram folks. All game the folks were attacking her when we scored and then she was up screaming when Su scored. We had so much fun. The rivalry is awesome between the two school's fans. They won, but she didn't tease me too bad in the end. We hung around the mall and vendor area awhile afterwards seeing more people we knew and taking more pictures.

NOW THE DRAMA STARTS
We went back to the hotel, ate, slept, and changed clothes for the night ahead. We went back to Bourbon again. Not only did I run into my former sweetie pie but both, my LS and I, saw two or three of our prospects from home too. :eek: They were all jocking too hard (you know how men can be when they're trying to holla) and we had to keep shaking 'em 'cause we wanted to just do our thing on Bourbon like we did the night before. That we did. My LS and I stayed out there until like 1 and said we were gonna go back to the room to rest awhile and come back out later. Well when we got back to the hotel, one of my prospects that I had shook on Bourbon was waiting outside the hotel for me. I'm thinking why did I even mention where I was staying. My LS was laughing so hard at me. So we all 3 get on the elevator to go up to the room. Well, low and behold, my LS' former sweetie is waiting right outside our door when we got off the elevator. How did he get our room number??? I just fell out laughing at her since she had just laughed at me for getting caught. Now we're thinking we both are tied up and we've got to shake them 'cause we're going back out to Bourbon it a little while. My LS and I are so in tune with one another that we both knew to act veryyyy sleepy and like we were getting ready to retire for the night. We took our showers and dressed for bed and everything. Both guys were like well guess we better go since y'all are that tired. :) :D GREAT. We waited like thirty minutes after they left, got dressed and went back out on Bourbon. We were having a blast hanging out until we ran right into my LS' former sweetie on Bourbon. He was out there by himself looking like he was looking for her to be out there. We both couldn't say anything. He just followed us around until we went in for the night and kept her in the hallway talking until the next morning. I kept waking up periodically to check on her and she was so mad it was hilarious. We packed up about 12pm Sunday, checked out the hotel, went and ate a big breakfast and headed back home.

New Orleans showed me that year that Bayou Classic is the best black event and will forever be. It will never be the same anywhere else. No other place can you walk around the whole weekend with almost no sleep, see so many people, and enjoy a good rivalry.

NOTE: You definitely have to be single and/or go without a significant other to get the full effect of walking all night on Bourbon footloose and fancy free. Either go with your girls or for men go with your boys.

I can't wait until this year's. Gonna have to see if I can go without sleep like that again in my elder years. :jump: :jump:

Back