30 years of Hip-Hop...anybody checking it out??

BNGguy

The Inspector
Has anybody been checking out the 30 years of Hip-Hop documentary on VH-1? I have to say that I've been impressed with the way they put together the production of the show. Gathering rare video clips featuring some of the names that paved the way for this musical genre and culture to come to the surface had to have been a task within itself. I'm originally from BK and I grew up during the era when names like Afrikaa Bambaataa, Kool Herc, Don Barron, Cold Crush Bros., Grandmaster Flash, and so on and so on were like gold uttering from someone's mouth. I witnessed the shooting of the very first film devoted to hip-hop music "Wild Style" which was directed by Fab 5 Freddy. I was in the crowd scene when Flash was at Betsy Head Park in BK scratching and mixing off of "Good Times". I was only 10 years old but it was an event that changed my life to have an appreciation for not only hip-hop music but all music in general. The award show will air next Tuesday and I will definitely watching. If y'all haven't tuned into the show, i certainly recommend it as being a must-watch.

BNGguy said:
Has anybody been checking out the 30 years of Hip-Hop documentary on VH-1? I have to say that I've been impressed with the way they put together the production of the show. Gathering rare video clips featuring some of the names that paved the way for this musical genre and culture to come to the surface had to have been a task within itself. I'm originally from BK and I grew up during the era when names like Afrikaa Bambaataa, Kool Herc, Don Barron, Cold Crush Bros., Grandmaster Flash, and so on and so on were like gold uttering from someone's mouth. I witnessed the shooting of the very first film devoted to hip-hop music "Wild Style" which was directed by Fab 5 Freddy. I was in the crowd scene when Flash was at Betsy Head Park in BK scratching and mixing off of "Good Times". I was only 10 years old but it was an event that changed my life to have an appreciation for not only hip-hop music but all music in general. The award show will air next Tuesday and I will definitely watching. If y'all haven't tuned into the show, i certainly recommend it as being a must-watch.

I hadn't seen this...sounds interesting, though.

I've been watching it for the past couple of nights.

I like the Kurtis Blow & Beastie Boyz stories.

BNGguy said:
Has anybody been checking out the 30 years of Hip-Hop documentary on VH-1? I have to say that I've been impressed with the way they put together the production of the show. Gathering rare video clips featuring some of the names that paved the way for this musical genre and culture to come to the surface had to have been a task within itself. ... The award show will air next Tuesday and I will definitely watching. If y'all haven't tuned into the show, i certainly recommend it as being a must-watch.

I saw the first three episodes last week. It's cool the way they weave the politics and experiences of the time into the story as catalysts that created hip-hop. Man, I was bobbin' my head to the backtracks of the interviews, reminiscing about my grade school days. :headphone I did get a little "down" when the episode about gangsta rap aired. :uzi: Still, the back story about the rise of crack in the inner city and it's effects on the community kinda made g.r. evolution understandable.

All in all, it's a great tribute to the hip-hop culture. :dude:

Yes ----------- Probably the best peice on hip hop made to date.
Very good. Every part of hip-hop is getting equal time. Informative.

Ex: I knew Ice Cube broke of from NWA over the contract/money thing, but I didn't know he was the one that bought the west-coast style gangsta mentality to NY. It tripped me out to see NY rappers talking about Ice Cube when he hit the NY scene.

jstate83 said:
Yes ----------- Probably the best peice on hip hop made to date.
Very good. Every part of hip-hop is getting equal time. Informative.

Ex: I knew Ice Cube broke of from NWA over the contract/money thing, but I didn't know he was the one that bought the west-coast style gangsta mentality to NY. It tripped me out to see NY rappers talking about Ice Cube when he hit the NY scene.

Yeah, if you remember when the riff was taking place, Cube showed that he was one of the more smarter members of NWA at the time and he didn't appreciate getting screwed. He broke out on his own and released his first solo effort Amerikkka's Most Wanted. If you recall that album, he featured Chuck D from PE on the single Tales From the Darkside. It was one of the first East-West coast collabo's ever made. He also had some help from some East coast-based producers on the project as well.

Back