30 for 30: HBCU Edition

Mrwiregrass

Who or whom would you like to see showcased?

- Alcorn State: The McNair years'
- Eddie Robinson
- The 1984 MVSU vs. Alcorn State game.
- 2000 NFL Draft: Sylvester Morris and Rashad Anderson
- Darnell Kennedy

These are just a few.

Do you have any?

The 1990s Ascension and Dominance of SU football (and other sports) : Rabid Fanbase Jag Nation.

It was amazing how football fed other sports' success (IC).
SWAC - Southern Wins All Championships
SWAC - Southern Whips Ass Constantly

Cannot deny it. They systematically owned the 1990s and they had a formula that has yet to be repeated if so, why isn't another dominant today? (across the board) Right.

Last edited:
SU going three years without losing a SWAC game under Pete Richardson.

Richardson dominated around that time, but that story isn’t big enough to be at the top of an historic HBCU story. Different era bring different drama. The SWAC and MEAC were no longer the SEC/Big 12 and Big Ten/ACC once the new era took control.

Stories from names like Eddie Robinson, Jake Gaither, John Merritt, Steve “Air” McNair, Doug Williams, Walter Payton or Jerry Rice would make the list of next episodes before Pete. Ace Mumford would get an episode before him.

Last edited:
Arnett "Ace" Mumford. He doesn't get the notoriety he deserves. Plus beating Grambling 8 years in a row.

- Eddie Robinson
- Darnell Kennedy

These are just a few.

Do you have any?
Now thats a good one! I remember being in Jackson and hearing about the day he quit the team. People were surprised he quit at the time.

Why did he quit?

A few more...

- The Southern vs. FAMU football rivalry during the 90's

- 1984 Tennessee State football season.

-Eddie Robinson Jr. (Alabama State L.B.)

- Ben Jobe.

They should SERIOUSLY do one on Prairie View fans. The "fans" have sucked on saltines so long until they think it's sweet and buttery, like a ritz cracker. Even w/ all the newfound cheez whiz and hog head cheese on top of the wafers (the beautiful facilities), the same issues are evident today as they were during the middle of the 80-consecutive game losing streak, of which, I sat through 54 of the 80.

- Eddie Robinson
- Darnell Kennedy

These are just a few.

Do you have any?
Coach Robinson!

Perhaps it would be a better idea to showcase two or more topics on the HBCU edition of 30 for 30!

I know. But, I want his own separate story.

The latter portion of Black Magic when it discussed Jobe, Avery and Bobby Phillis was nearly a Jobe 30 for 30. If you sprinkle in his other parts of Black Magic, then that’s damn near 90 minutes.

Back