Alabama State at Jackson State
Attendance: 53578

Southern at Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Attendance: 0

Texas Southern at Grambling
Attendance: 9231

Alcorn State at Mississippi Valley State
Attendance: 9200

For years JSU has claimed in these forums that its home stadium capacity was 42,000. Many of you can attest to this truth. Today they list game attendance at more than 53,000. I always questioned how a Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium that once seated 62,000, and had undergone no significant alterations since its construction, could suddenly experience a reduction in seating capacity by some twenty thousand seats. But congrats on the record attendance, JSU! It was a beauty to behold!. MSU and Ole Miss, eat your hearts out! There's a new sheriff in town!

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
For years JSU has claimed in these forums that its home stadium capacity was 42,000. Many of you can attest to this truth. Today they list game attendance at more than 53,000. I always questioned how a Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium that once seated 62,000, and had undergone no significant alterations since its construction, could suddenly experience a reduction in seating capacity by some twenty thousand seats. But congrats on the record attendance, JSU! It was a beauty to behold!. MSU and Ole Miss, eat your hearts out! There's a new sheriff in town!

This is what's on ESPN

1634433920218.png

The city gave us 10 mil for current stadium improvements and maintenance. Small upgrades. Nothing major besides the press box. After renovations we're actually going to lose a couple thousand seats.

There are plans for a public private partnership for a new stadium but doesn't seem to have any legs. Even if it did I wouldn't imagine they'd build a stadium that holds more than 30k (just my opinion).

The city gave us 10 mil for current stadium improvements and maintenance. Small upgrades. Nothing major besides the press box. After renovations we're actually going to lose a couple thousand seats.

There are plans for a public private partnership for a new stadium but doesn't seem to have any legs. Even if it did I wouldn't imagine they'd build a stadium that holds more than 30k (just my opinion).
I recall seeing the artist renditions of that Stadium posted in this Forum! It was impressive indeed!

I was incorrect. In the p3 the plans were for a stadium that seats 35k, student housing, hotel and conference center and mixed use retail space. The total cost was to be around 400 mil over 40 years, privately funded. It was presented to our BOT summer of 17.

It was supposed to happen in 3 phases. They decided to fund the big items from the first phase (Student Success Center and Student housing) via a fed HBCU loan. That money was actually forgiven with that covid relief money that we all got last year. So we basically got it for free.

Phase 2, more student housing, is scheduled to start on the winter/spring. It's expected to be funded in the same way as the first phase.

Phase 3 would include the new stadium and mixed use retail space and would have to be funded privately which is where the p3 would come in at this point. We'll see if it ever happens.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There you go worrying yourself about jsu again. FYI the capacity decreased because there numbers on each seat was rearranged given more inches of seating to each number on the bleachers. Had nothing to do with actually removing any parts of the stadium and the 62k decreased to 60 when they did small construction work to emphasize ADA SEATING going around the walk way in the stadium. In other words if 30 people to each bleacher could seat 60k, jsu spreaded the numbers out so now there is only 20 to each bleacher which is how they came up with the 44,000. Is just math, nothing structurally was touched. But thanks fir the concern and support lol 😂

Last edited:
Prairie View A&M at Bethune Cookman
Attendance: 3267

Florida A&M at Alabama A&M
Attendance: 8375

Alabama State at Jackson State
Attendance: 53578

Southern at Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Attendance: 0

Texas Southern at Grambling
Attendance: 9231

Alcorn State at Mississippi Valley State
Attendance: 9200
No way there was 3.2K at PV/BCU…. More like 500.

New sheriff in town boy bye, I don't think MSU or Ole Miss are concern with JSU!

This is what's on ESPN

View attachment 13596

Fiyah, I am not sure why but I think during the Meyers administration, they had the seats renumbered. Why? I dont know and they never said why. The current administration disregards it and uses the original number. Besides, how can a stadium lost 20K seats without renovation? I could see if they installed chair back seats, etc.. but they didnt. So as far as this administration is concerned, we hold 62,500.

Back