2019 Swac Football Attendance - Week 2

Where did one specifically state that Black culture has been lost in Texas to Hispanics? Point to a specific post.

Nah speak for TSU. That hispanic frat at PV sets it out just as hard as everyone else at the homecoming tailgate. It might be like that at TSU since most probably go out of convenience. No one is gonna go out of their way to go to school in Waller county unless they want to be there

Those same Hispanic frats are at TSU and were there when i was there ... they do the same thing as they do on every college campus in Texas ... nothing special.

Waller County and the surrounding area is heavily Hispanic.

Waller High is 50% Hispanic so they go to PV out of convenience too

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Those same Hispanic frats are at TSU and were there when i was there ... they do the same thing as they do on every college campus in Texas ... nothing special.

Waller County and the surrounding area is heavily Hispanic.

Waller High is 50% Hispanic so they go to PV out of convenience too

But you just told us they are invisible at TSU and dont go to events. And bringing up Waller high school's demographics means nothing considering waller isn't and hasn't been a top feeder school for PV..let alone for hispanics at PV

Last edited:
But you just told us they are invisible at TSU and dont go to events. And bringing up Waller high school's demographics means nothing considering waller isn't and hasn't been a top feeder school for PV..let alone for hispanics at PV

Take the invisible comment within context, of course they exist but they're not a noticeable presence.

And I disagree, many Waller High students are likely to do community college first then transfer to PV which is why it may not show up PV top feeder school reports.

Take the invisible comment within context, of course they exist but they're not a noticeable presence.

And I disagree, many Waller High students are likely to do community college first then transfer to PV which is why it may not show up PV top feeder school reports.

Man you are just throwing stuff up at the ceiling and hoping it sticks. The likelihood of a local commuting 30 miles away to the nearest community college only to transfer back to PV is slim for any student. PV's Hispanic population comes mostly from Houston, DFW, SA, Austin and the valley. To think most are coming from Waller because the high school is half hispanic makes no sense. PV's location is totally different from being in the city and having the convenience of working, living, and attending college in the same city

No, Asians and Hispanics don't like HBCUs. UH is what they like and they running the white people out ... we'll probably see more white folk soon.

Funny how you mentioned Hispanics, not liking HBCUs! I believe supporters of HBCUs, regardless of our race, need to be the Billboards for our respective schools recruitment. Look at the makeup of Texas Southern’s and Prairie Views Band, both have a heavy Latino presence. One thing I commend Texas Southern for is their inclusion of their Hispanic Alumni in everything they do.

Of course some will like HBCUs, but the majority don't find them appealing. Hispanics love the fun aspects of black culture but they usually don't feel comfortable around too many black people. TSU and PV should actually be majority Hispanic b/c Houston is so Hispanic but it's far from it.

And Hispanics make up less than 15% of PV .... that's not exactly droves. I seen blacks and whites mingling more on TSU and PV campus than blacks and Hispanics

In defense of the Hispanic race, this sudden boom in college attendance is due to the fact that more Hispanics are taking the higher education route than in the past. Growing up in a Hispanic home, you either worked or went to school not both, and we are speaking of high school. Also illegal immigrants are not illegible for government assistance to pay for their college tuition, and most resort to community college. I think PV and TSUs Hispanic enrollment numbers are great and will only get better.

In defense of the Hispanic race, this sudden boom in college attendance is due to the fact that more Hispanics are taking the higher education route than in the past. Growing up in a Hispanic home, you either worked or went to school not both, and we are speaking of high school. Also illegal immigrants are not illegible for government assistance to pay for their college tuition, and most resort to community college. I think PV and TSUs Hispanic enrollment numbers are great and will only get better.

1) Hispanic isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. But when I say Hispanics I mean the Mestizo community since they are the only ones I can easily identify as being of Hispanic heritage.
2) Hispanics are growing at TSU and PV but a slow smail pace compared to other schools in the area such as UH, UHD, UST, HBU which are all predominately Hispanic today
3) I love more Hispanics are going to TSU and PV but they are not fully ingratiated into the culture yet. We never had a Hispanic SGA president, many notable Hispanic athletes (in sports that matter), you rarely see Hispanic student leaders, I rarely see them at TSU events on and off campus (games, etc), outside the band you don't see Hispanics very involved unless is its an academic or Hispanic organization. I would like to see them become more integrated and active members of the TSU community

Last edited:
1) Hispanic isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. But when I say Hispanics I mean the Mestizo community since they are the only ones I can easily identify as being of Hispanic heritage.
2) Hispanics are growing at TSU and PV but a slow smail pace compared to other schools in the area such as UH, UHD, UST, HBU which are all predominately Hispanic today
3) I love more Hispanics are going to TSU and PV but they are not fully ingratiated into the culture yet. We never had a Hispanic SGA president, many notable Hispanic athletes (in sports that matter), you rarely see Hispanic student leaders, I rarely see them at TSU events on and off campus (games, etc), outside the band you don't see Hispanics very involved unless is its an academic or Hispanic organization. I would like to see them become more integrated and active members of the TSU community
You forgot the baseball team.

I stand corrected on that! As far as Hispanic involvement or lack of, in regards to other events and activities throughout the university, I agree with you that some improvements can be made.

Last edited:
Our Thurgood Marshall School of Law just had a Hispanic valedictorian. My classmate at that, so you're wrong there. And we've had Hispanic athletes who not only were great... Our hispanic kicker went to the NFL and Canadian league, I believe, but these athletes also gave back or came back and do participate and always have. The baseball, softball and hispanic fraternities come to mind and so does LULAC on campus. We are a diverse hbcu, pretty much always have been and always will be. We put out more diverse pharmacists and attorneys who are minority and women who actually DO put on and recruit for TSU than any Texas University. We also have the most judges or are top three in Texas, I believe. Don't let the hbvuforums people convince you our HBCU is trash. We get ALOT of smack talk about Texas Southern University but don't believe for a minute those who do it actually KNOW much about us beyond a few Saturday gamedays. We have the Democratic debate on campus. Any hbcu alums other than a select few outside of TSU putting on for us or even trying to attend? Network with us on how we got it and why? No. Smoke and mirrors. Diversity works when the candidates are taught and we are teaching at Texas Southern University.

Our Thurgood Marshall School of Law just had a Hispanic valedictorian. My classmate at that, so you're wrong there. And we've had Hispanic athletes who not only were great... Our hispanic kicker went to the NFL and Canadian league, I believe, but these athletes also gave back or came back and do participate and always have. The baseball, softball and hispanic fraternities come to mind and so does LULAC on campus. We are a diverse hbcu, pretty much always have been and always will be. We put out more diverse pharmacists and attorneys who are minority and women who actually DO put on and recruit for TSU than any Texas University. We also have the most judges or are top three in Texas, I believe. Don't let the hbvuforums people convince you our HBCU is trash. We get ALOT of smack talk about Texas Southern University but don't believe for a minute those who do it actually KNOW much about us beyond a few Saturday gamedays. We have the Democratic debate on campus. Any hbcu alums other than a select few outside of TSU putting on for us or even trying to attend? Network with us on how we got it and why? No. Smoke and mirrors. Diversity works when the candidates are taught and we are teaching at Texas Southern University.

So proud to see Texas Southern University in the national spotlight regarding the Debate and anything else happening on the beautiful campus!

I've never understood why some of you feel the need to justify anything about your school on a message board. Know what you know and to hell with all else!

I definitely disagree from a TSU perspective. What do you think @tsuball10 and @Nelson ?
I know I'm late and reviving and old thread, but @tsuball10 and I are involved in different aspects of TSU. We've been supporters of the programs since we were undergrads and I rep TSU all day out here in Arizona.

Out of the hispanic / latino / multicultural fraternities that I'm aware of on both the campuses of TSU and PV, those who are involved in school stay with the books, those who are there to party do their thing, and those who were the type to be heavily involved in school are still supporting, just like most of the people that I know outside of these organizations.

A big factor of involvement is immersion into the culture and the pride that is your HBCU. While at TSU, I was heavily involved in the LSAMP program, president of the Hispanic Student Association, president of Sigma Lambda Beta, and an active member within NOBCChE, TSU UPC, Computer Science Club, and helped establish the multicultural council.

We established TigerFans as a way to help build up the pride that we also see among the entire school. I've noticed at TSU, if you have ties to the school via organizations (social groups, band, athletics) then you're more likely to be a supporter afterward. Otherwise, most students are fickle when it comes to TSU and don't do much outside of class. On campus housing will continue to help support the foundational aspects of supporting as well.

In regards to culture, the Hispanics I know for the most part are fully immersed in their own culture and marry the two together when on campus and involved. When I was an undergrad I know both our fraternities would have some large tailgates for both homecoming and the LDC at the very least.

I know I went off topic, but I keep getting interrupted here at work so I'll just leave it at that. Go Tigers!

Back