2017 MEAC/SWAC Challenge Halftime

What was up with those shirts and shorts for southern's band? That didn't look proper at all for national television.
It would've been an excellent time to show off their supposed "new" uniforms.

What was up with those shirts and shorts for southern's band? That didn't look proper at all for national television.

Supposed? The new uniforms were unveiled yesterday evening. The first game of every season the band wears shirts and shorts because it's over 100 degrees in South Louisiana. How did jSU's band do yesterday at TCU??? What did they wear???

So if it was too hot, why did SC State wear their uniforms? Seems like you're saying that Haymer's making his band members to be soft. The former Jukes would laugh at you for saying that it was too hot to wear uniforms.

Haymer is soft, that's why SU's band wore shirts and shorts! That's too dayum girly for me!

So if it was too hot, why did SC State wear their uniforms? Seems like you're saying that Haymer's making his band members to be soft. The former Jukes would laugh at you for saying that it was too hot to wear uniforms.

Dude I am a former Juke Greggs era and we did the same thing. If you think they soft run up on one of em and see. LOL!

Haymer is soft, that's why SU's band wore shirts and shorts! That's too dayum girly for me!

Dude if you marched in the sonic womb I know you not talking about soft. Y'all have folks going to the concession stands during the game and folks passing water during the games. GTFOH. How did the jstate do yesterday in DFW???

Dude I am a former Juke Greggs era and we did the same thing. If you think they soft run up on one of em and see. LOL!
Doc had his band dress out in shorts on the first game AT HOME because of heat, while the visiting band sucked it up and dressed out in regular uniforms?!
With the game being on national television, it would've been an excellent time to showcase the new unis and show the Juke sponsors what they helped pay for. Haymer simply blew it!

Last edited:
Doc had his band dress out in shorts on the first game AT HOME because of heat, while the visiting band sucked it up and dressed out in regular uniforms?!
With the game being on national television, it would've been an excellent time to showcase the new unis and show the Juke sponsors what they helped pay for. Haymer simply blew it!

Dude shut up because you clearly don't have a clue. What did jstank wear yesterday?

I love how they so focused on what our band is wearing while their band had to cancel its summer high school band camp, marched ineligible members, fired its director of bands, got blown on by Tennessee State and Talladega, and wasn't included in the contract to perform at TCU. lol

Last edited:

But it's perfectly fine for SEC and Big Ten bands to wear polos and khaki shorts for their opening games.......... Last I checked we play 11 games, not 1.

I love how they so focused on what our band is wearing while their band had to cancel its summer high school band camp, marched ineligible members, fired it's director of bands, got blown on by Tennessee State and Talladega, and wasn't included in the contract to perform at TCU. lol

LMAO!!

I thought the juke looked great in their t-shirts and shorts! They tend to look good in whatever they wear. Their field show was outstanding. They do precision marching better than any other band.

Last edited:
But it's perfectly fine for SEC and Big Ten bands to wear polos and khaki shorts for their opening games.......... Last I checked we play 11 games, not 1.
Who gives a damn about SEC bands? They're not worth watching. Don't even know why you brought that nonsense up, other than to deflect attention away from southern's T-shirts and shorts.
Just admit that Haymer made a dumb decision and move on. LOL!

I thought the Luke looked great in their t-shirts and shorts! They tend to look good in whatever they wear. Their field show was outstanding. They do precision marching better than any other band.
Actually it revealed that southern has quite a few over-weight band members. Those folks would've never made it through Doc's workouts.

I love how they so focused on what our band is wearing while their band had to cancel its summer high school band camp, marched ineligible members, fired its director of bands, got blown on by Tennessee State and Talladega, and wasn't included in the contract to perform at TCU. lol
Your band was the only HBCU school on national television with shorts and shirts, that's why.
It didn't look good at all.

And they have literally STOLE a page from Texas Southern's playbook when TSU visited Tokyo.

Last edited:

Look genius(not)...it was too hot to wear that 5 piece wool uniform...period! If they would have worn them
then you would have bitchin and moaning about that. As far as "proper"...your opinion does NOT matter.
Far too many folks were carried out of the stadium due to the heat...this was the right call.

As to why scst wore their unis, who cares? Maybe they didn't know what it was like in BR in the middle of the day.
Who says they have alternates or travel gear, but then again, who cares? I do know one thing though.
As soon as they got to their seats, they took off those jackets, overlays and caps.

You don't know jack-squat about how Dr. Greggs worked out the band during his tenure, but, you are right about
one thing....SU was the ONLY HBCU band on national television, regardless of what they were wearing.

Don't sweat yourself over SU's uniforms; we good over here. And finally, thank you for tuning in.

Carry on....

Nevermind the t-shirts and shorts. Southern folks y'all had all this hype and all this anticipation and tbh I don't know if the juke was just taking an easy on scsu or if energy and selections were at a low but the performances didn't live up to that hype. That Bruno selection is written in a strange key and it took me a minute to recognize the song. Wild thoughts is too busy for me with whoever wrote that. It was still a solid outing but for southern of old and southern standards in general I thought it was below the norm. Not hating because when southern does awesome I praise y'all but as a musician yesterday's outing wasn't that solid. Y'all have some fine tuning to do. For starters y'all need to take at least 5 of them trumpets and put them on tuba. Tubas were very inconsistent and drowned out until they came in on tubabreaks. It's not good when your foundation is getting drowned out. I'm sure Southern will pick it up in the coming weeks.

Lol. Well the Bruno Mars song is already going viral and BM, has given it two thumbs out.

And please stop with this old juke new juke.. Haymer is doing great things at SU. MARKETING, new band uniforms, larger budget, I mean what else you want for the guy..

Back