2012 Olympics List Shortens: It's San Fran, N.Y.

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
DUH?!! :rolleyes:

as if they weren't going to give this to New York what with 911,,, and as if they weren't going to give it to a legitimate shoe-in, the Bay Area.

Let's see here,,,,,, the SUMMER games,,,, N.Y.,,,, or the Bay Area? :rolleyes:

folks, this is "the MOTHER of all no-brainers" here. Summer in the Bay Area or in N.Y.???? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!! THIS IS LAUGHABLE!!!! The ONLY reason N.Y. will prevail is because of 911. If it wasn't for 911, N.Y. wouldn't even be on the list. This is a slam-dunk for the Bay Area otherwise. hell, THEY COULD HAVE THE "SUMMER" GAMES IN THE BAY AREA IN THE WINTER AND IT WOULD STILL BE THE SAME AS THE SUMMER!!!! Give me a break. :lmao:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/news/2002/08/27/usoc_bids_ap/

IMO both cities are too damn big to host the Summer Olympics... the Olympics need to be a city that can benefit from the Olympics. Atlanta was a very good example. ATL got football stadiums, arenas, Turner Field, etc... these two already have everything. I would like to see the Summer Olympics somewhere like New Orleans.

Dahill,

The Summer Olympics are USUALLY in large cities. Much of the criteria they use in deciding which cities will host the games is things like airports, transit systems, facilities to house the athletes, etc. I was in Los Angeles in 1984 when the Olympics were in that city, and I tell you, a city without the amenities that LA has could not have handled the games. Besides, they didin't have to build alot of new facilities. Places like USC, UCLA, and the other college campuses in the Los Angeles area served as the Olympic Villages. The Colesium was used for the opening ceremonies, and the track and field events. The Forum was used for basketball, Long Beach State was used for Volleyball, UCLA's pool(s) were used for the water sports and Pauley Pavillion was used for Gymnastics. A city like Los Angeles is easily accessible from all over the world. You can get nonstop flights into LAX from most foreign countries.

That was L.A.'s second time to host the games (1932 the first), so the state of California would have the games three times in less than a century if SFO gets them. The entertainment industry's presence in that city didn't hurt it either.

I would love to see San Francisco get the games. It has much of the same kind of benefits as LA, and the weather in the Bay Area is always nice (especially for the track and field events) and
San Francisco would provide a beautiful backdrop for the games.

In my opinion, it's THE most beautiful city in the U.S.!

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
Dahill,

The Summer Olympics are USUALLY in large cities. Much of the criteria they use in deciding which cities will host the games is things like airports, transit systems, facilities to house the athletes, etc. I was in Los Angeles in 1984 when the Olympics were in that city, and I tell you, a city without the amenities that LA has could not have handled the games. Besides, they didin't have to build alot of new facilities. Places like USC, UCLA, and the other college campuses in the Los Angeles area served as the Olympic Villages. The Colesium was used for the opening ceremonies, and the track and field events. The Forum was used for basketball, Long Beach State was used for Volleyball, UCLA's pool(s) were used for the water sports and Pauley Pavillion was used for Gymnastics. A city like Los Angeles is easily accessible from all over the world. You can get nonstop flights into LAX from most foreign countries.

That was L.A.'s second time to host the games (1932 the first), so the state of California would have the games three times in less than a century if SFO gets them. The entertainment industry's presence in that city didn't hurt it either.

I would love to see San Francisco get the games. It has much of the same kind of benefits as LA, and the weather in the Bay Area is always nice (especially for the track and field events) and
San Francisco would provide a beautiful backdrop for the games.

In my opinion, it's THE most beautiful city in the U.S.!

i honestly understand where you are coming from... but I like what the Olympic games did for the city of Atlanta...ATL isnt a megacity like the NY, LA, SAN FRAN, Houston, etc but the Olympics greatly benefitted and improved the city of Atlanta. I think the Olympics would better benefit cities such as New Orleans, Orlando, Miami, etc

Originally posted by DAHILL

i honestly understand where you are coming from... but I like what the Olympic games did for the city of Atlanta...ATL isnt a megacity like the NY, LA, SAN FRAN, Houston, etc but the Olympics greatly benefitted and improved the city of Atlanta. I think the Olympics would better benefit cities such as New Orleans, Orlando, Miami, etc

Actually, Atlanta IS a megacity in terms of some of the things I mentioned. Hartsfield Int'l Airport, MARTA, and the pre-existing facilities to some degree. Those other cities you mentioned offer much the same. Miami however is more on par with cities like Los Angeles, NYC, San Francisco. Cities bid for the games themselves based on those ameneties, and whether or not their respective leadership feels that they can handle a large INTERNATIONAL influx of people.

can't see the games in N.O.,, but they said that about Atl too.

DaHill, I dunno man,,, Atlanta was a stretch,,, N.O. is a bungee jump! :D

,,, look,,,,, when it comes to the south,, i'm probably one of the foremost cheerleaders,,,,, but New Orleans?

I can see N.O. olympic whitewater rafting now,,, in some buayous or slouse! They'd have alligator wrestling as a new olympic game!

I could see Orlando remotely,,, maybe RDU,, maybe even Nashville if they blast from 1.4M to 3.5M over the next 10-15 years, but I dunno bout N.O.,,, but ey,,,,, das exactly what mugz was saying when Atlanta stepped up, so go figure. :confused:

I kinda thought NY would be up there because of 9/11. I don't know about the Olympics being in New Orleans. That's not somewhere I would have thought of. But it is a good tourist city.

Back