2003 US News & World Reports College Rankings SWAC/MEAC

truthteller

The Critic
*National Universities - Doctoral*
These schools offer a wide range of undergraduate majors as well as master's and doctoral degrees; many of the schools on this list strongly emphasize research.

*Universities - Masters*
Like the national universities?doctoral, these institutions provide a full range of undergraduate and master's-level programs. But they offer few, if any, doctoral programs. They tend to draw students heavily from surrounding states.

*Liberal Arts Colleges - Bachelors*
These colleges emphasize undergraduate education and award at least half of their degrees in the liberal arts disciplines. Most are private institutions.

*Comprehensive Colleges - Bachelors*
These institutions focus on undergraduate education and offer a range of degree programs?in the liberal arts, which account for fewer than half of their bachelor's degrees, and in professional fields such as business, nursing, and education.

Tier (grade) 1 = Excellent, 2 = Good, 3 = Fair, 4 = Poor

SWAC

Alcorn State University; Universities - Masters; Tier 2

University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff; Comprehensive College; Tier 3
Mississippi Valley State University; Compreshensive College; Tier 3

Alabama A&M University; National - Doctoral; Tier 4
Grambling State University; Universities - Masters; Tier 4
Jackson State Univerity; National - Doctoral; Tier 4
Prairie View A&M University; Universities - Masters; Tier 4
Southern University; Universities - Masters; Tier 4
Texas Southern University; National - Doctoral; Tier 4
Alabama State University; Universities - Masters; Tier 4

MEAC

Hampton University; Universities - Masters; Tier 1

Howard University; National - Doctoral; Tier 2
North Carolina A&T University; Universities - Masters; Tier 2
Florida A&M University; Universities - Masters; Tier 2

Morgan State University; Universities - Masters; Tier 3

Coppin State University; Universities - Masters; Tier 4
University of Maryland - Eastern Shore; Universities - Masters; Tier 4
Delaware State University; Universities - Masters; Tier 4
Norfolk State University; Universities - Masters; Tier 4

Rankings mean NOTHING

Their methodology is flawed and besides, these rankings NEVER answer the most important question. What's the best college for YOU in order to develop your intellectual talent? That should always be the most critical question.

When I applied to doctoral programs, I NEVER looked at "ratings." I looked at other issues, like money, etc. The only reason I chose Rutgers University over Jackson State was because RU gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. Jackson offered me free tuition, room & board plus $10,000 guaranteed for 4 years while I did my work. RU offered the same, accept they offered $25,000 for up to 5 years.

Don't EVER pay attention to these ratings. They have no meaning, and besides, the burbarians have never been able to accurately quantify black intelligence!

LaMont

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What you said about quantifying black intelligence is true. But are you implying that I'm oblivious that? Or were you just speakin in general? By the way, did you attend one of these schools? If so, which one?

Now, I wouldn't quote on quote say that the methodology is "flawed." The reason is that they use what the university reports to them based on the previous academic year's statistics. However, I would say that is somewhat biased against HBCUs.

Let's take a look at the criteria used to determine the univerity's final score.

1. Peer Assessment - weighted at 25% (This is basically how administrators, like presidents, provost, dean of admissions, at other institutions view your university's academic programs. They had to rate it from 1 -5. Those who did not know enough about the programs were at liberty to mark "Don't Know," and those did not count for or against the school.)

2. Student Selectivity - weighted at 15% (Included subfactors of acceptance rate, yeild of first time admits, top 10% of high school class, top 25% of high school class, and SAT/ACT scores)

3. Faculty Resources - weighted at 20% (Included subfactors of faculty compensation, % with a terminal degree, % full time, faculty/student ratio, average class size 1-19, and average class size 50 or greater.)

4. Graduation and Retention Rate - weighted at 25% for Universities/Masters and Comprehensive Colleges and 20% for National and Liberal Arts Colleges. (Graduating within a 6 year time frame was more important and consisted of 80% of that inividual school. It exluded transfers. Retention only consistuted for 20% of that.)

5. Financial Resources - weighted at 10% (This is including the university's expenditure per student for instruction, research, public service, and etc..)

6. Alumni Giving - weighted at 5% (This is the number of people who received an undergraduate degree that actually give back. Master and doctoral degree recipients are exluded.)

7. Graduation Rate Performance - weighted at 5% for National and Liberal Arts Colleges only (The difference between the actual six-year graduation rate for students entering in the fall of 1995 and the predicted graduation rate. The predicted graduation rate is based upon characteristics of the entering class, as well as characteristics of the institution. If a school's actual graduation rate is higher than the predicted rate, then the school is enhancing achievement.)

What do you all think of all of this?

Originally posted by truthteller

1. Peer Assessment - weighted at 25% (This is basically how administrators, like presidents, provost, dean of admissions, at other institutions view your university's academic programs. They had to rate it from 1 -5. Those who did not know enough about the programs were at liberty to mark "Don't Know," and those did not count for or against the school.)

2. Student Selectivity - weighted at 15% (Included subfactors of acceptance rate, yeild of first time admits, top 10% of high school class, top 25% of high school class, and SAT/ACT scores)

3. Faculty Resources - weighted at 20% (Included subfactors of faculty compensation, % with a terminal degree, % full time, faculty/student ratio, average class size 1-19, and average class size 50 or greater.)

What do you all think of all of this?

No.1 is quite questionable. I think No.2 is what hurts a lot of us in these rankings. The more selective schools do seem to be ranked higher. We should all be gaining ground on No.3 though. I know most of our schools have much smaller class size and better faculty/student ratio than some of the bigger schools. I still think many of the schools are overrated on this list.

Sonic, I agree with you. HBCUs will not get high peer assessment from administrators from the big schools because many of them and their faculty look down on HBCUs and other small schools. Consider this. It is easier to go from a big school to a small one as a faculty member than vice versa.

The question should be what is best for an individual. Bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to universities.

The WHOLE CRITERIA IS BOGUS

As I said earlier, whitey CANNOT measure black intelligence or rate HBCUs.

The whole survey should be thrown in the trash. First, the criteria on "reputation" is completely subjective and driven by racism. The criteria on "selectivity" is also driven INDIRECTLY on racism. Most A/As cannot afford posh institutions of education at the K through 12 levels and often they come from underfunded school districts. Therefore, WE start at a disadvantage. What HBCUs do is something far better. They take students with academic needs and TURN THEM INTO leaders, intellectuals, etc. Now a true measure of a college would come in handy with a pre-test and graduate post-test. Then you can establish one measure of the worth of an education. But what the Ivy's and other PWCs do is simply start off with smart kids and therefore end with smart kids....

Driving up your graduate donation data for an institution is a relatively easy trick. One school asks graduating students to donate a brick in their name (that will be engraved with their name) for whatever capital project that's going on. Usually the donation is relatively small (less than $50.) Most graduating students want to leave a legacy and therefore donate a brick. You get 60-75% of your graduating class to start donating and suddenly your measure starts going higher.

In the end, USNEWS survey is NOT WORTH THE PAPER IT IS PRINTED ON. Trust me: whitey cannot measure black intelligence of the value of HBCUs.

LaMont

Listen up...

I understand the fact that you may be hostile about all of this, but let us deal with reality here. These college rankings aren't going anywhere. In fact, it's been put out for years and it's becoming more and more popular to people. Everything that you said is very true. I agree. But remember....no matter how much we dislike the situation...we are still living a white man's world. We have been put at the bottom of things since the beginning of time, so this is nothing new. Without these rankings, we would still get viewed the very same way. So, either way it really doesn't matter. At least we know for ourselves that we are the greatest. That's all that should really matter.

Sonic98 and EB, nice points....

An Earlier post might be correct about us starting behind others, thus making it harder to get into the more selective schools. But when you let just anyone in, you can expect about anything to happen. Just think about some of the people you see around your campus everyday whom you wish would just go back home.

Back