2002 Circle City Classic: Southern vs Alabama A&M

That was a tough week in BR leading up to that game. A Hurricane came thru BR that week and a lot of our fans couldn’t make it to the game.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Jags, y'all had all that speed on defense???

Keep that welcome mat warm when we come to town fall 2019. #38-0

All that talent and Ron Cooper didn't know what to do with it. And yet, he is still the best recruiter we have ever had (Jones a distant 2nd)

All that talent and Ron Cooper didn't know what to do with it. And yet, he is still the best recruiter we have ever had (Jones a distant 2nd)
Some Coaches are just better as assistants and coordinators. Cooper definitely falls in that category and Coach Spady does as well. However, I never felt Jones was good recruiter. In fact, I would put Spady ahead of Jones in that category.

Some Coaches are just better as assistants and coordinators. Cooper definitely falls in that category and Coach Spady does as well. However, I never felt Jones was good recruiter. In fact, I would put Spady ahead of Jones in that category.

Jones recruited Johnny Baldwin, Frank Kearse and Lanier. Spadys players never came close to that level

Jones recruited Johnny Baldwin, Frank Kearse and Lanier.
True,

But I felt Spady had good enough players. He just didn't develop them like he could have. We know if he had a clue, he could have and should have done so much better. In a nutshell, he gambled a golden opportunity on his nephew when others should have been more of a priority. Aside from his nephew, we learned there was more behind the scenes as to why certain people started....sigh

I guess Bently would be his most standout recruit. I'm curious to see how he will turn out. Jones did not do too bad. But at times we lost out to instate Division 2 schools and then there was that year where he only signed 5-7 recruits....We had legacies (sons of former Bulldogs and/or affiliates) who signed with other SWAC schools and did well for them.

Last edited:
I swear Southern folks blame EVERYTHING on Hurricanes....enrollment down... hurricane... lose a football game.... hurricane....... band director steal money.... hurricane..... just say you lost the game.

Hurricane Lily hit Baton Rouge around October 3rd the game was on the 5th. I remember because we had to fly out earlier to get to Indy. He didn’t blame the loss on the Hurricane, he said some of the fans were unable to come out to the game which makes sense. The way we whipped y’all ass in 03 you may wanna blame that on a hurricane though.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I swear Southern folks blame EVERYTHING on Hurricanes....enrollment down... hurricane... lose a football game.... hurricane....... band director steal money.... hurricane..... just say you lost the game.
Who blamed the loss on the hurricane. I said SU fans couldn’t attend because of the hurricane.

kids these days will never know about BCF games on BET.We need to get Roc nation on the phone and tell Hov to see what's going on with the network lol

they need to make a highlight reel of Pete Richardson on the sideline one day lmao I guess he didn't want to be mic'ed up like AJ...This was Anthony Jones 1st year at AAMU..the way he got Coop's players behind him reminded me some of Maynor this past year.

Last edited:
Jags, y'all had all that speed on defense???

Keep that welcome mat warm when we come to town fall 2019. #38-0

Big Worm ain't playing with you folks and he is pretty hostile about folks coming to "The Ace" on Pete Richardson's field without bowing down. If you genuflect now, he may not put 60 on you...LOL Here me now or believe me later. I heard him mumbling something about "it's just the principle Smokey" when talking about his money for going to the Celebration Bowl just last Friday. LOL

Back