2 of the Nations Top H.S. Hoopers Face Off...

"NOISE TALKA"

Mr. Hatedandloved
Butler, Outlaw bring it

No. 2 Starkville edges No. 13 McComb before jam-packed audience
By Todd Kelly
tkelly@clarionledger.com

r0119ai.jpg

Joe Ellis/The Clarion-Ledger
Starkville's Travis Outlaw floats through the lane against McComb's Jackie Butler, No. 24, before lofting a one-handed jumper. Outlaw netted 20 points in a 64-62 victory.

NEW ALBANY ? Jackie Butler of McComb and Travis Outlaw of Starkville are two of the most talked about high school basketball players in America.

On a frigid Saturday evening, more than 2,800 people crammed one of Mississippi's most tradition-rich gymnasiums to see for themselves exactly why there has been so much hype.

It's a safe guess the 300 late arrivals stuck outside in the cold were the only ones who left disappointed.

Butler and Outlaw both turned in mostly solid and occasionally spectacular performances, but it was Starkville that exited New Albany Middle School with a 64-62 victory in the 12th annual Kiwanis Hotbed Classic.

The Class 5A Yellowjackets, ranked No. 2 in The Clarion-Ledger poll, improved to 13-2. The 13th-ranked Tigers, a 4A semifinalist last year, fell to 15-5.

Yet it was the specter of the first-ever Butler-Outlaw duel ? rather than a matchup of state championship contenders ? that created the greatest buzz in the seven-game showcase. At least one NBA team sent a scout to check out the talented seniors, both of whom are in line to end up at Mississippi State. Bulldogs assistant coach Phil Cunningham was also on hand ? and he surely liked much of what he saw from the two Dandy Dozen picks and possible McDonald's All-Americans.

Butler, a 6-foot-10, 255-pound center and Mississippi's reigning Mr. Basketball, had 31 points, 16 rebounds and 3 blocked shots.

Outlaw, a 6-8, 210-pound forward, collected 20 points, 7 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Afterward, each went through a series of television, print media and Web site interviews usually reserved for the state tournament.

"It felt good," Butler said. "We've never had so many people watch us like that. It was awesome. They were cheering for us even though they didn't know us."

Both players had their moments, although even in defeat Butler's second-half production was hard to overlook. He scored 23 in the final two quarters by firmly planting himself on the block time after time.

"Man, he is strong!" Outlaw said. "I knew that coming into the game. But it shocked me how strong he was."

"We don't play a lot of zone," first-year Starkville coach Greg Carter said, "so Travis was forced to guard him one-on-one. It was kind of unfortunate for Travis, almost unfair. Jackie is a big post center; Travis is a natural small forward."

Yet the outsized Outlaw had his moments on defense. In the first quarter, he drew oohs and ahhs from the stands by swatting Butler's turnaround jumper in the paint. In the second period, Butler twice made dazzling spin moves to the basket only to have Outlaw block the shots.

"I thought early on, Jackie had to adjust to play against another kid his height," McComb coach Hilton Harrell said. "After a few pointers from us, he posted him up. I think he did a good job down the stretch."

With Butler's dominance on the block and Outlaw's slashing drives to the goal, Mississippi State fans can dream of a dynamic 1-2 punch for the Bulldogs assuming both meet NCAA academic requirements.

Outlaw signed with MSU last November; Butler reiterated his commitment to the Dogs on Saturday.

"A lot of people have given up on Travis eligibility-wise, but that's not the case," said Carter, a former All-SEC forward at MSU. "He's still close to getting eligible. When I say close, I mean he has to finish out what he's doing this semester and keep his GPA up. He's got a real good chance to make it."

Butler delayed signing with MSU in the fall after his name cropped up in an NCAA investigation at Auburn connected to Butler's summer-circuit coach from Huntsville, Ala. Harrell indicated the situation has been resolved.

"Jackie's working really hard," Harrell said. "He was kind of dragging around in his classes last year, but this year he's really getting it done. I think he'll get there."

Although Butler apparently hasn't nixed the prospect of entering the NBA draft in June, he's excited about the prospect of playing with Outlaw in the near future.

"I wish we could be on the same team together ? in college and in the NBA," Butler said.

In the Classic's other games involving ranked teams: No. 5 Oxford beat Bolivar Central of Tennessee 62-60; and No. 10 Ingomar improved to 25-0 with a 76-59 victory over Columbus.

Back