1988 Michigan

ZNSPR8502

Meet, act & depart...
I sitting here watching ESPN Classics (Miami vs Michigan in 1988). That Michigan band was on. They were hype. Wow! Nothing like hype college bands supporting their teams...

PEACE!!!

Their band is always HYPED!

They put on a excellent show that is not like other PWC's, it's more on tune with what our HBCU's do. Even Notre Dame's band is putting on a good show these days.

Oh yeah, the Big 10 schools certainly are hype (Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc...). USC, Notre Dame and a handful of others are also pretty good. HIGH KNEE LIFT, Good and full sound and Fun Entertainment are all included in their shows. I've watched them via TV since the '70s.

My point of this message was realizing just how hyped and energetic they use to be in comparison to today. It isn't the same though they are still entertaining. Its like the premier SWAC Bands of old in comparison to today's.

We spend a lot of time noticing these types of things with our HBCU bands. It was enlightening to realize that the premier non-HBCU bands aren't on their same level either.

A lot goes into this result (much shorter practices, stricter college admissions requirements, stricter scholarship and college funding policies, more law suite for simply discipline and stupid hazing issues, types of HS programs that students are coming from, etc...)

Watching things like ESPN Classic is similar to pulling out the old tapes to review the pros and cons of your progress. Pictures and film don't lie. They tell the entire story, well at least most of it.

Peace!!!

Originally posted by ZNSPR8502
I sitting here watching ESPN Classics (Miami vs Michigan in 1988). That Michigan band was on. They were hype. Wow! Nothing like hype college bands supporting their teams...

PEACE!!!

Well it is michigan you cant expect anyless that has to be supreme model for bands ingeneral. The only other bands that can rival that are Ohio state and USC...

Michigan State and University of Michigan are what and what, honestly. Same concept...U of M has woodwinds and is more powerful....Michigan State doesn't march woodwinds.

For the most part, students that are apart of a band usually come back the following year no questions asked. It's sort of a gimmie. With Ohio State, just because you were in the band the year before doesn't mean you are gonna be in the band the next year. Every member has to try out each year.

Now that's a competitive regimen for a band to go by. I like that. That way, you know what you're getting, and it's easier to trime the fat before band camp even starts. You can be personal yet impersonal. I imagine they have a lil less drama than most bands do with their oldheads.

Originally posted by Fiyah
Their band is always HYPED!

They put on a excellent show that is not like other PWC's, it's more on tune with what our HBCU's do

My sentiments exactly! When they play their fight song, "Hail to the Victors," I get goosebumps! The Marching Wolverine Band has always had that extra something about them. If I'm not mistaken, they also incorporate the high step in their performances. Pound for pound, those Big 10 bands are more like HBCU bands than any other.

The Univ. of Southern California Marching Trojans ain't bad either. They're another PWC band with a hella-fied fight song!!

I'm not sure if they still are, but Tn use to be a really good drill band.

But, I enjoy Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana and USC. I can't remember if I like Notre Dame or not. I know the kilts turn me off. But, I think the DMs are pretty live. Can't rember.

Peace!!!

Originally posted by roadblock-2-spr97
For the most part, students that are apart of a band usually come back the following year no questions asked. It's sort of a gimmie. With Ohio State, just because you were in the band the year before doesn't mean you are gonna be in the band the next year. Every member has to try out each year.

At Ohio State, your spot on the field isn't secured either. They put 192 in the fieldshow, leaving 33 (225 members strong) to challenge for a spot in their section each Thursday. They even have name for it but even in my infinite wisdom of The Best Damn Band In The Land, I cant put my finger on it. I think they have 2 or 3 reserves for each section.

Back