17 yr. old HS NBA prospect invades Houston

T

The Panther Fan

LeBron James, the HS junior who us deemed the best prospect in years, is in Houston! he came and put on a show from what I hear. He had 2 blocks that resembled Vince Carter's dunks in the NIKE commercial.

He plays at 10 a.m. tomorrow and 1:50 at Clear Lake HS.

That igga got GAME.... I have watched several high school sport shows like the one on ESPN that have featured him. He said he wants to be the first high school JUNIOR to go pro. This boy has his own Adidas shoe and he is just in high school.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I Had to See For Myself

I just returned from the tournament, and he his the best high school player I have seen, ever. Kendrick Perkins and Keena Young , Ozen were on his team, but they played against a team from Washington state that really gave them a run. Juan Dixon was there until I guess he got tired of signing autographs.

I cannot say he is pro material yet, he has no left hand and he relies on pushing away defenders with his left arm. That won't cut it against stronger NBA defenders. However, the standing room only crowd saw a great game between him and the Seattle team.

He is easily the best HS player on the court, state, nation, whatever. Imagine if they ran plays for him in AAU ball?

As for the event, a lot of cash changed hands to assemble that team together. Two NBA prospects from the class of 2003 from 2 different cities played for a Oakland team.

As for AAU coaching, I saw first hand it would be hard to believe Josh Pastner knows about coaching based on what I seen. Those AAU coaches do nothing but call timeouts and sceam like the game is for a national championship. The only coach who was out there diagramming plays was Arkansas' Ron Brewer. His son is a top prospect and he knows what he is talking about.

He will be on Prep Talk, Sunday at 6 p.m. on radio station KKHT 1070 (Houston).

The only coach who was out there diagramming plays was Arkansas' Ron Brewer. His son is a top prospect and he knows what he is talking about.

I wondered where Ron Brewer was. I remember the 3 Musketeer Days at Arkansas with him, Sidney Mocrief and Marvin Delph. I didn't realize he was coaching these days. So he is an assistant at Arkansas? I wonder why he wasn't given any consideration for the job? Maybe one of our schools should give him a look. BTW if his kid is as half as good of player Brewer was then he is going be an asset to whomever he goes to.

I agree those AAU coaches are there for show. Mostly just to organize the team. Big money is poured into these teams nowadays. I remember U of H's George Williams being approached by representatives of the Nike team while I was at the Ft. Bend YMCA coaching the little kids. He was just trying to get his off season workout on. It is unbelievable how the shoe companies and others chase down these guys. At that time Williams was just a HS Jr. The system is as corrupt as it gets with all these type of teams.

The James kid needs to go to college for at least a year. Like Wagner did this past year. The NBA players union has a proposal to submit barring HS kids from the draft. It's similar to the NFL's rule of having to wait until HS class had been out school for 3 years. I hope it gets passed. These kids need to go to college. Mike Wilbon of ESPN thinks it will pass and stand up in court. I hope so. The NBA is just like any other employer. It reserves the right to stipulate certain qualifications to be employed. No different than our jobs do us. So I don't think a kid can say he was refused the right to make a living. That same kid can't sue IBM for not hiring him if he doesn't have a degree, so how can these kids just say the NBA has to let them in. Anybody have any opinions on the new proposal. I thought this is a good thread to ask that question since Mr. James has said he may sue to be the first HS Jr to enter the NBA. Something has to give.

the boppas were already around James and those sorry coaches try to control them. I saw him hanging out with TJ Ford after the game talking to some young chicks looking to get pregnant to claim child support.

They would not let James talk to the 1 media outlet that was there. (and it was black)

I bet NIKE wants that money back for Williams. He never turned out like they wanted and he now has the nerve to try to go pro.

I don't know what Brewer does but he has his son's head on straight. He is disciplined to the "T" and he can play his ass off. He is about 6-3, 6-4 and is a guard.

I asked the kid if he is going to Pine Bluff, the kid laughed.:lmao:

TSU's coaches was there and PV was there Friday (we're back).

LOL@PF for asking if he was going to PB. You would have done better to say PV or TxSU. Yeah I sure Brewer kid is Arkansas bound unless someone else has already got an eye on him. I would not be shocked if some school went after both Brewers to secure the younger one. Sounds like he about the same size his Dad is. The old man could shoot and play defense. That was a good Arkansas team.

I bet those Boppas were out hard core. You know how it is. Fresh meat. And I do mean the players are the fresh meat. LOL. You are right about G. Williams. You know North Carolina recruited him hard before Gutheridge retired. I often wondered why he went with Clyde over there at U of H. I also thought he played soft sometimes, but he did have talent. He would have been better off at TxSU than U of H. Oh well, so he is coming out huh? He reminded me of a George Lynch type of player. I wish him luck.

Originally posted by DAHILL
That igga got GAME.... I have watched several high school sport shows like the one on ESPN that have featured him. He said he wants to be the first high school JUNIOR to go pro. This boy has his own Adidas shoe and he is just in high school.

So I guess he grew up playing ball in your backyard too huh? Have you been keeping his head on straight? I realize that all the premier talent comes out of Bama. :rolleyes:

lebron-james-hd3.JPG

LeBron James
Birthdate: 12/30/84
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
College: Unlikely
Class: HS Junior
Ht: 6-7
Wt: 215
Hometown: Akron, OH
High School: St. Vincent-St. Mary
News - The James Journal
2001 Stats

NBA Comparison: Kobe Bryant

Strengths: About as can't miss as can't miss gets. Blessed with supreme athletic gifts and the mind to maximize these tools. Very unselfish, and like Magic Johnson seems to get the most satisfation from a great pass. His vision and passing skills are one of the big aspects which set him apart from other 6-7 wing freaks. Lending to his amazing composure on the floor are his supreme vision and court sense. Has another gear to blow by virtually any defender, and has great leaping ability to get above the rim for spectacular finishes. LeBron excels against top competition, as evidenced in his showdown with Lenny Cooke at the ABCD Camp where he outscored the previous year's MVP and top 3 Senior (Cooke) 25-9. He capped the game off with a three pointer at the buzzer to win the game. A very fundamentally sound player with excellent form on his jumpshot. The sky is truly the limit.

Weaknesses: Still has physical developing in front of him but at just 16, strength does not appear to be a long term issue. Age, the task at hand is staying focused and continuing to develop, without developing a fat head. As Randy Newman said, "It's lonely at the top."

As a freshman, LeBron led his High School team, St Vincent/St Mary's to a perfect 27-0 record and a State Div III title.

As a sophomore, he led SVSM to another State title and an eventual 25-2 record placing 5th in the USA Today National poll. Facing Oak Hill Academy, a perennial powerhouse which recruits the cream of the crop players Nationally and even Internationally to play for them. LeBron was scintilating with a 33 point performance and gave the eventual National Champions all they could handle with a one point scare.

LeBron toyed with the idea of declaring for the NBA draft after his JUNIOR HS season. It would have entailed challenging the NBA rule that a player must be 18 and wait until his class graduates in order to declare for the draft. Some feel that the rule could be succesfully challenged. But Lebron has since come to his senses saying he will complete High School before exploring his options.

Originally posted by C-LeB28

So I guess he grew up playing ball in your backyard too huh? Have you been keeping his head on straight? I realize that all the premier talent comes out of Bama. :rolleyes:

Boy are you still bitter over that pitiful recruiting class you bragged about all year? The only player i said played ball in my backyard is Jason Cables from Alcorn.

Other HS Phenoms

I had the opportunity last week to watch Stoudmier from Florida play in the DC Capital Classic and that kid is a beast. He can use a year of college and that is about all. He is better than Kwamme Brown, Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler already.

Several of the kids in the National all-Stars vs DC All-Stars had undecided by their names and none are ready for the NBA.

Maryland had four guys in the game that will keep them in the ACC elite for at least three more years (if they stay around)

The two kids going to North Carolina (PG Felton did not play) can save Matt Doherty's job or justify that he can't coach.

The Duke signees are typical Duke players who will strive in that sytem. Time will tell for them.

I'm a firm believer now that if you are not from overseas, you are not ready for the NBA under age 20. Kids today have lost basic fundamentals of basketball and the NBA is having to teach those skills to them. That kids the Wizards picked last year looked totally out of place in almost every game this season.

The kid needs to graduate High school and take his azz to college.

Back