10 Reasons NOT To Enter Pastoral Ministry

buckwheat

http://goodguyswearblack.org/2013/09/25/10-reasons-not-to-enter-pastoral-ministry/

ertainly the blessings of ministry far outweigh the realities below, yet ministry is definitely not easy. That is why pastoral ministry must be a calling and not simply a “jobâ€￾. If you can’t reconcile with these 10 difficult realities and challenges concerning pastoral ministry, then perhaps you should avoid it all together.

from the Aquila Report:

If you enter pastoral ministry…

10. Not everyone will like you.

9. You will make people angry regardless how godly you handle yourself; it comes with the position.

8. You will feel like a failure often, and when you do appear to succeed, the fruit that is produced cannot be accredited to you. God alone gives the increase (1 Cor. 3:7). Thus, there is little “sense of accomplishment in ministryâ€￾ that you may be accustomed to in other vocations.

7. You will fight legalism and liberalism, along with laziness, ignorance, tradition, and opposition. Yet, your greatest enemy will be your own heart (Jer. 17:9).

6. Not everyone will respond positively to your preaching, teaching, or leadership. You will bring people to tears with the same sermon: one in joy, another in anger (I have done this).

5. You will be criticized, rarely to your face, and frequently behind your back. This criticism will come from those that love you, those that obviously do not like you, and pastors and Christians that barely know you.

4. You will think about quitting yearly or monthly, if not weekly or even daily.

Man, I always said. I hope God calls me to the deacon board, not the pulpit. I wouldn't wish that life on anyone. Especially with black church folks.

Thanks for sharing. It has been almost 6 years since I first planted a ministry and I can relate to every one. To say I am a humbled man because of it all is an understatement. I could say a whole lot more, but I'll just say I'm thankful that God has been willing to use someone like me.
http://goodguyswearblack.org/2013/09/25/10-reasons-not-to-enter-pastoral-ministry/

ertainly the blessings of ministry far outweigh the realities below, yet ministry is definitely not easy. That is why pastoral ministry must be a calling and not simply a “jobâ€￾. If you can’t reconcile with these 10 difficult realities and challenges concerning pastoral ministry, then perhaps you should avoid it all together.

from the Aquila Report:

If you enter pastoral ministry…

10. Not everyone will like you.

9. You will make people angry regardless how godly you handle yourself; it comes with the position.

8. You will feel like a failure often, and when you do appear to succeed, the fruit that is produced cannot be accredited to you. God alone gives the increase (1 Cor. 3:7). Thus, there is little “sense of accomplishment in ministryâ€￾ that you may be accustomed to in other vocations.

7. You will fight legalism and liberalism, along with laziness, ignorance, tradition, and opposition. Yet, your greatest enemy will be your own heart (Jer. 17:9).

6. Not everyone will respond positively to your preaching, teaching, or leadership. You will bring people to tears with the same sermon: one in joy, another in anger (I have done this).

5. You will be criticized, rarely to your face, and frequently behind your back. This criticism will come from those that love you, those that obviously do not like you, and pastors and Christians that barely know you.

4. You will think about quitting yearly or monthly, if not weekly or even daily.

I'm glad the author said that pastoral ministry is a calling and not a job, because that's certainly what it is. And for those who have truly been called by God can attest to this.

Any work that is done for God, in the name of God is not easy; Jesus himself said that His work and those that follow Him isn't easy. Even those called by God sometimes become disheartened and tend to get weary and almost lose faith. I'm equally glad that the writer referenced Jeremiah, because he is the classic Biblical example of a prophet who loved God and worked so hard for God but almost lost his faith. He then realized that no matter how he may have wanted to quit, he recalled God and His Word and how it was like fire shut up in his bones, and that was enough to keep him walking in God's Word and kept him obedient to his call.

This is what separates those who have been called by God from those in the pulpit who have NOT. It also separates those who have been called by God and are in obedience to His will and their call, as opposed to those who are not. For those who do cherish their calll and their annointing and do God's will regardless of who likes it or not, who listens or not, who accepts or not, those are truly the ones that are refreshed by God and are given the strength to keep on when nobody wants to hear or listen or heed. Before He went to Calvary, Jesus prayed that the Father would keep His disciples because they heard, but He also prayed for those that came after the disciples because they would be hated by the world. Those who have been called and heed their calling know that it's not only about people listening to the Word and accepting Christ, it's about obedience. The Master told us that not everyone would listen and accept but He gave the Great Commission regardless. But He also said if any one does not listen or accept, shake the dust off your feet as you leave. Those true to their call are in the pastoral ministry to do the will of God and are in it the ministry to bring souls to Christ, not for crowds or not for people to like them.

Last edited:
I have preached and headed several programs in the church.. the truth is a large number of black preacher bring problems on themselves.

Most of them are not called by God.

Once they reach a certain salary, they tend to forget their beginning

Most black preachers, are anti black men, they degrade black men from the pulpit

I hear so many preach the same subject over and over again.

Black preachers, not all - want the congregation to "worship them" not God.

The list can go on and on and on..

Thanks for sharing. It has been almost 6 years since I first planted a ministry and I can relate to every one. To say I am a humbled man because of it all is an understatement. I could say a whole lot more, but I'll just say I'm thankful that God has been willing to use someone like me.

That has to be a good feeling.:clap:

Back