“Mo Knows”—Mo Williams’ Recruiting success at Alabama State

Bama state remind me of jsu. They think they done struck gold based off some of these coaches resumes and get no results when it’s said and done. Lol

difference between us and them is we have a rich basketball tradition, and we actually put resources into our hoops teams. Don’t worry, we’ll be back on top soon enough.

I was told today Mo is after a #18 ranked Al high school player and a #11 ranked Al player who are responsive.

So this is why Coach Smith's (Louisiana winningest high school baskeball coach) grandson transferred from Alabama State to Alcorn. The young man's momma graduated from Southern. I guess he just didn't measure up or feeling home sick and wanted to be closer to home.

Last edited:
Wasn’t that late - no unsigned juco jamborees On April or anything so under the radar guys were available more than normal.
I believe he was the last hired DI coach in the country. Wake fired their coach and hired their replacement before williams was named. one guy might have gotten himself fired about the time they announced mo. it was super late.

So this is why Coach Smith's (Louisiana winningest high school baskeball coach) grandson transferred from Alabama State to Alcorn. The young man's momma graduated from Southern. I guess he just didn't measure up or feeling home sick and wanted to be closer to home.
Wasn’t his dad a star LB at SU also.

Didn't Avery Johnson coach at your school? What did he do?

He got his team to post season 4 straight times. 3 NIT and 1 NCAA and won a game.
His predecessor did it 4 in 6 and was fired before coaching the 4th. Runner up to the NIT title, did not win a tourney game but did advance in the NIT.
Bama saw 2 NCAA tournies and 6 NIT from 2009-2019.
Avery (and Anthony Grant) tossed out 2 NBA players.
Meanwhile-
Bama State in that time saw 1 tournies and one CIT trip with 5 straight losing seasons. 4 winning ones.

Now Avery is one of the few BLACK NBA players to be a college coach with some success. Unlike Dickie Simpkins, Terry Porter, Cameron Butler, Damon Stadamire & Mark (Craig Mack) Macon

Back