Does a National Championship by Your Flagship School.......

Earle

Does a National Football Championhip by the flagship school in your state helps or hurts your HBCU football program{s}? LSU just won the national championship, and my support or non-support of LSU, rightly or wrongly, tended to hinge on the degree or extent to which it helps or hurts Southern University. That's a whole other thread in itself, but I would like to know your thoughts.

Last edited:
I am waiting with bated breath to read what @Olde Hornet, @CEE DOG, and representatives of other HBCUs in Alabama have to say about this. And the reason I mentioned Alabama is because as you all know Alabama has won many national championship. Now, has it hurt or helped the HBCUs in that state, well. I don't think it does one way or the other. Maybe Louisiana will be different.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I lived in two states where that will never be an issue because the flagship state football team(s) will never be good enough to win the national championship or an HBCU doesn't exist there.

I currently work in a state where the flagship school has legitimately competed for a championship four out of the last five years. But that school winning one or not won't really impact the NAIA HBCU at all simply because the flagship school is the ONLY school that people define the state's identity by.

Last edited:
In Alabama, there is no impact on the other schools HBCUs or PWIs. I just see state pride and more pressure on Auburn to do better. :):):)

Not at all. I think the transfer portal can be our friend though.....and that is an interstate thing as opposed to only being limited to intrastate.

One thing about this National Football Championship team is that it is located in the same city as a HBCU, and actually just 7 miles across town, unlike in Texas or Alabama. That still might not make a difference, but I just wanted to point that out.

Last edited:
Typically of flagship programs that win only once every so often, no impact. But Alabama A&M football was best when a few things were going on...

1. Big Bad Bama was sorry (2000-2007)
2. We were plucking SEC transfers from Tennessee, Mississippi State and Auburn.
3. The other options for recruits (Jacksonville State, Troy State, etc) were not dominating.

However, correlation doesn't always mean causation.

It doesn’t really help or hurt us. What effects us more, are the G5 and newer programs in the state of Florida starting to surge and focus more on athletics

For example, The University of West Florida just won the D2 National Title in just their 4th year of having a program...those are the programs we need to pay closer attention to.

If anything I think it will help. It'll bring more attention to Baton Rouge which means more people will know there's another Division I football program in the city. Name recognition helps with recruiting

SU facilities and support isn't shabby for a Division I FCS program.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
No difference, our best talent will go to the so-called grass is greener schools no matter what and as usual, we end up with the scraps trying to compete.

No difference, our best talent will go to the so-called grass is greener schools no matter what and as usual, we end up with the scraps trying to compete.
but in reality, are we trying to compete with those FBS schools? I do not see how it could be a problem. To me its a win for us if we get those players that wouldn't get a legitimate shot at a LSU or UT type program.

There will be a few exceptions, but I think there is a lot of truth in what you are saying.

Nic Luke..... the brother of Kelcey Luke was a running back at Bama before he came here and made All SWAC 1st team at running back.
I forgot about Nic came from Bama. For some reason I was thinking they both came from Auburn.

Clemson didn't want darrius leonard before clemson hit the big time. Univ of South Carolina is irrelevant in football.

One thing about this National Football Championship team is that it is located in the same city as a HBCU, and actually just 7 miles across town, unlike in Texas or Alabama. That still might not make a difference, but I just wanted to point that out.

Earle, if you and @JROCK want to wear lsu gear, bruh, y'all just gone on head then. :(

J/K'ing lol. For us @ PV, it didn't matter one iota when ut won their deal in whatever year. Those folk off 290 and the other folk off hwy 6N, they are on another level that we cannot view too well. So, what happens w/ their enjoyment doesn't effect us.

PV has 1 football championship in 55 years. The losing culture in Waller County hasn't been influenced by much. Unless you're paying bills and washing dirty drawers in a grown man's household, one should not concern themselves with what he wears (how about that).........LOL

Back