Australian Open 2019

I got one name for you.....Naomi Osaka. I don’t see her losing until she gets to Serena
Unfortunately, Serena had a meltdown and lost 5 straight games. For some reason, she let's one thing get to her and cause her to completely lose her composure on the court. I shrug my mistakes and bad calls on the court off easily, but I guess it's harder for her to do.

Unfortunately, Serena had a meltdown and lost 5 straight games. For some reason, she let's one thing get to her and cause her to completely lose her composure on the court. I shrug my mistakes and bad calls on the court off easily, but I guess it's harder for her to do.
No meltdown this time; she injured herself @ 5-1 in the 3rd. After she turned her ankle, she was not the same; she could not lift on the serve and struggled with movement. The fact that she even finished the match says a lot about the champion within

Women - Serena is out, Osaka moves on.

Women's Singles

N. Osaka (4) 6 6
E. Svitolina (6) 4 1

S. Williams (16) 4 6 5
Ka. Pliskova (7) 6 4 7

Kei retired - looking more like a Rafa Novak final - we will see if someone will play the spoiler.

Men's Singles

M. Raonic (16) 6 4 3 7 7 4
L. Pouille (28) 7 7 6 6 2 6

N. Djokovic (1) 6 4
K. Nishikori 8 RET 1 1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/genuine-sportsmanship-rare-serena-williams-104612964.html .

Genuine sportsmanship is rare, but Serena Williams displayed it in Australian Open exit .
clap.gif
bow.gif
clap.gif

Leading 5-1 and up match point at 40-30 on her own serve, Williams turned her ankle. She managed to finish the match but didn’t win another game or even a further point on her own serve. That’s Serena Williams, the greatest server of all time, broken to love twice in succession. The likelihood of that happening in normal circumstances is similar to Lionel Messi going a season without scoring.

Williams could barely serve, but she soldiered on and refused to call the trainer. After the match she dismissed the idea that the injury was a factor in her defeat. The first three questions of the post-match press conference were about her ankle, but Williams refused to play ball. “My ankle seems to be fine... I think she just played lights out on match point… I didn't feel like I needed it [the trainer] or I didn't feel like it would be a big deal… it was fine.” Williams then spoke at length about how well her opponent had played.

This was Pliskova’s moment, and Williams didn’t want to make it about herself. This is what genuine sportsmanship looks like.

No meltdown this time; she injured herself @ 5-1 in the 3rd. After she turned her ankle, she was not the same; she could not lift on the serve and struggled with movement. The fact that she even finished the match says a lot about the champion within
Okay,I was wondering what happened. That's what I get for just looking at the score. lol

Osaka vs Kvitova - i am going with Osaka

Women's Singles
Semifinals

P. Kvitova (8 7 7 6
D. Collins 6 2 0

Ka. Pliskova (7) 2 6 4
N. Osaka (4) 6 4 6

Rafa was on fire today. My favorite new tennis name is out in 3 - Tsitsipas
Men's Singles
Semifinals

S. Tsitsipas (14) 2 4 0
R. Nadal (2) 6 6 6

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pouilles...an-run-reaches-semifinals-085204466--spt.html

Pouille's drought-breaking Australian run reaches semifinals

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Lucas Pouille had lost every Australian Open match he played until he hired Amelie Mauresmo as coach.
bow.gif

A couple of months later, he's into a Grand Slam semifinal for the first time.

The 24-year-old Frenchman will next play Novak Djokovic, who is aiming for a men's record seventh Australian title, so things will get tougher.

Djokovic was leading 6-1, 4-1 and his quarterfinal match was less than an hour old Wednesday when eighth-seeded Kei Nishikori retired with an injured right leg, finally succumbing after three of his four previous rounds went to five sets. It gave Djokovic a spot in the semifinals at Melbourne Park for the first time since 2016, when he won his second straight title and his fifth in six years.

"Feels great. This has been my most successful Grand Slam throughout my career," Djokovic said. "Past two years have been a bit tough with the elbow injury and everything.

"Over the past 10 years, I've had plenty of success here. Everyone tries to get their hands on one of the four biggest titles in sport, but Australia has been really kind to me."

Womens Final - CONGRATULATOINS Naomi Osaka!
clap.gif

N. Osaka (4) 7 7 5 6
P. Kvitova (
cool.gif
6 2 7 4

Men's Final CONGRATULATOINS Novak!
clap.gif

N. Djokovic (1) 6 6 6
R. Nadal (2) 3 2 3

Women Doubles - Sam Stosur did not choke at home!
clap.gif

S. Stosur
S. Zhang 6 6
T. Babos (2)
K. Mladenovic (2) 3 4

Men's doubles - the French Men are back!
clap.gif

H. Kontinen (12)
J. Peers (12) 4 6 1
P. Herbert (5)
N. Mahut (5) 6 7 7

Mixed Doubles - Nice win for the Ram (American) - with a top doubles player
clap.gif

B. Krejcikova (3)
R. Ram (3) 7 7 6
A. Sharma (WC)
J. Smith (WC) 6 3 1

AUSSIE OPEN 2019 wrapup.

Naomi Osaka is for real!

Novak is BACK! If he stays healthy, he should win all the majors this year (French is the only one I am concerned - the really belongs to RAFA :snicker )

The big 3 in men tennis will rule this year if they are healthy.

It will be interesting to see if Tsitsipas can keep his move up the rankings.

Will Tiafoe continue to move up the rankings.

Serena is back, she can win another major is she stays healthy.

Naomi is real and hopefully she can stay focused

Novak is on another roll. I hope he can win all 4 grand slams this year. To me that would solidify his spot as the greatest ever and lets no forget if he wins the French Open it would be the 2nd time he has held all 4 grand slams at once.

Tiafoe had an impressive showing despite his horrible showing at the Hopman Cup. Im still iffy on him but we will see what the year holds.

Serena is back but i need Jameka to arrive. The world is anxiously awaiting her next grand slam triumph.

AUSSIE OPEN 2019 wrapup.

Naomi Osaka is for real!

Novak is BACK! If he stays healthy, he should win all the majors this year (French is the only one I am concerned - the really belongs to RAFA :snicker )

The big 3 in men tennis will rule this year if they are healthy.

It will be interesting to see if Tsitsipas can keep his move up the rankings.

Will Tiafoe continue to move up the rankings.

Serena is back, she can win another major is she stays healthy.

Naomi has the chance to become the next Serena. Staying healthy and having outside interest are key in having long term success.

I am with you on Tiafoe and all the "Next Gen" men. What I witnessed at the Aus Open is that Novak and Rafa have a good shot at will all of the majors this year. For sure others will have a shot, but they better jump on it if given that opportunity.

Back