JSU president says he is in charge of athletics department

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernard

THEE Realist
Jackson State president William Bynum said Thursday he plans to wait at least another two months before naming a replacement for former athletic director Wheeler Brown, but that even when he does, he still intends to be "hands on" with the program.

Bynum removed Brown from his post in December — a decision that was affirmed by the IHL board in February, but Brown has declined his reassignment and is currently going through the school’s internal appeals process.

“Until all that is cleared … and people have made decisions relative to his contract, I’m not going to move,” Bynum said. “I’ll continue to be the acting AD along with my administrative team. My hands are tied until that process runs its course.”

Bynum, who sat down Thursday for an interview with the Clarion Ledger in his 10th month on the job, said he hopes the appeals process will allow him to have a new AD in place by June 1.

In the meantime, Bynum, his special assistant Debra Mays-Jackson and chief diversity officer Thomas Hudson will continue to run the department, with associate athletic director Genese Lavalais serving as a liaison between the president and the coaches.

It’s not a new role for Bynum, who has 28 years of experience working in higher education and said he's run other athletic departments in various roles for the past 18.

“I’m extremely hands-on with athletics,” he said. “Most people don’t realize it, but for the last 18 years, athletics has reported directly to me. For nine years as vice president at Lincoln, four years vice president at Morehouse and four years president at Valley, the athletic department reported directly to me. I know a good AD candidate when I see one, and I know exactly what it takes to run an athletics department.”

Rest of article

"For nine years as vice president at Lincoln, four years vice president at Morehouse and four years president at Valley, the athletic department reported directly to me. I know a good AD candidate when I see one, and I know exactly what it takes to run an athletics department.”

ROTFLMAO

Black PHDs are dick heads with little bumps on them

Especially those that forgot where they were when they stepped on Valley's campus.

I don't want anything life threatening to happen to him or don't want JSU to get ran into the ground but everything bad that will happen to him will be because of that ego. JSU is NOT gonna let him be the defacto AD for any extended period time and have it negatively affect their program (until they get their woman). You can't do it and no AD worth anything is gonna want that job when he has that mindset

"For nine years as vice president at Lincoln, four years vice president at Morehouse and four years president at Valley, the athletic department reported directly to me. I know a good AD candidate when I see one, and I know exactly what it takes to run an athletics department.”

ROTFLMAO

That thug, William Bynum, sounds like Donald Trump, when Trump said he's a "very stable genius."

Especially those that forgot where they were when they stepped on Valley's campus.

I don't want anything life threatening to happen to him or don't want JSU to get ran into the ground but everything bad that will happen to him will be because of that ego. JSU is NOT gonna let him be the defacto AD for any extended period time and have it negatively affect their program (until they get their woman). You can't do it and no AD worth anything is gonna want that job when he has that mindset
Man, I want to give him a chance because he is my frat brother and I think a lot of the initial backlash was simply because he came from Valley and folks let pride get in the way (now, I had some questions about his time at Morehouse when he got the Valley job) but seemed to be ok.

However, I think he is setting himself up for failure with some of this stuff. The IHL humbled some JSU alums when they picked him over their objections but he should realize those same folks can make his presidency hell.

Man, I want to give him a chance because he is my frat brother and I think a lot of the initial backlash was simply because he came from Valley and folks let pride get in the way (now, I had some questions about his time at Morehouse when he got the Valley job) but seemed to be ok.

However, I think he is setting himself up for failure with some of this stuff. The IHL humbled some JSU alums when they picked him over their objections but he should realize those same folks can make his presidency hell.

I just know that as important as athletics is at JSU, they brought him in to take care of other things there that are more important. When you do the stuff he is doing now, it only adds fuel to the flames that he (is waiting on the Brown process to take care of itself so that he) will get Ford-Kee. I think most can see that will lead to a lot of butt heading on Lynch Street

There's a lot of stuff that I will keep off this board about what he did at Valley (and the bridges burned) but as I said before hardly any tears were shed when he left. He was smart to catch the first thing smoking out of Itta Bena (because it was gonna catch up to him)

I heard Ashley Robinson was his front-runner. Ashley’s resume’ is impressive: he single-handedly raised millions of $$$ for PV’s new state of the art athletic venues (all of them); raised millions of $$$ for PV’s new Welcome Center; raised millions of $$$ for all fully-funded/scholarship athl programs; et al. Seems like he’d be the perfect fit for viable programs at JSU.

@Storm96 lol

I heard Ashley Robinson was his front-runner. Ashley’s resume’ is impressive: he single-handedly raised millions of $$$ for PV’s new state of the art athletic venues (all of them); raised millions of $$$ for PV’s new Welcome Center; raised millions of $$$ for all fully-funded/scholarship athl programs; et al. Seems like he’d be the perfect fit for viable programs at JSU.

@Storm96 lol
You are cold blooded.

Assuming he doesn't have an AD in place before April 15, he's gonna hire a coach that the AD will have to deal with

Arrogance and leadership can't exist in the same space. One will cancel the other out....

@Storm96 lol

Yes! Don't forget that under Ashley's "broad-shouldered" leadership, PV has experienced record enrollment. Presidents come and go, but Ashley is KEY to PVs success.

Ask not what Ashley Robinson can do for PV, ask what PV can do for Ashley!

He would do great things at JSU. Take him!

Yes! Don't forget that under Ashley's "broad-shouldered" leadership, PV has experienced record enrollment. Presidents come and go, but Ashley is KEY to PVs success.

Isht....

+1. Better fit for upstart JSU than lil’ ole PV.

LMAO......You panthers are cold blooded!

We dont want or need anything from PV. If he is so bad, send him back to Valley. We did our best to train him at JSU but you also have to understand that PV is smalltime and he can't do too much there.

As for Bynum, I dont have anything to say bad about him yet but before long his honeymoon will be over. All he says is " Woe is JSU, my hands are tied". Bruh, I could be JSUs President and do/say that. Its time for you to do something. Fight for us!

I dont see his acting as AD as being arrogant or the fact he wants a role in Athletics as arrogant. We haven't had a President that was hands-on in Athletics since ever..... So personally, I welcome that. Meyers wanted to win but had the wrong people in her ear. Mason didnt care and Lyons had good programs due to the rest of the teams not yet investing in sports. He has to have a role in athletics now because the position is in limbo BUT it sounds to me as if he is just accepting that. He does have some fires to put out but I am willing to see how his first year goes and let's see how he regroups for the next year. He won't slide by at JSU.

We dont want or need anything from PV. If he is so bad, send him back to Valley. We did our best to train him at JSU but you also have to understand that PV is smalltime and he can't do too much there.

As for Bynum, I dont have anything to say bad about him yet but before long his honeymoon will be over. All he says is " Woe is JSU, my hands are tied". Bruh, I could be JSUs President and do/say that. Its time for you to do something. Fight for us!

I dont see his acting as AD as being arrogant or the fact he wants a role in Athletics as arrogant. We haven't had a President that was hands-on in Athletics since ever..... So personally, I welcome that. Meyers wanted to win but had the wrong people in her ear. Mason didnt care and Lyons had good programs due to the rest of the teams not yet investing in sports. He has to have a role in athletics now because the position is in limbo BUT it sounds to me as if he is just accepting that. He does have some fires to put out but I am willing to see how his first year goes and let's see how he regroups for the next year. He won't slide by at JSU.

Trust me when I tell you that the LAST thing you want is PHD'ed black folk running your athletic department. Dude sounds like a micromanager.

Have you ever heard a football coach trying to explain stuff to an Ivory Tower person? Its like trying to get a fish to talk to a BIRD

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me when I tell you that the LAST thing you want is PHD'ed black folk running your athletic department. Dude sounds like a micromanager.

Have you ever heard a football coach trying to explain stuff to an Ivory Tower person? Its like trying to get a fish to talk to a BIRD

Salutations! During his collusion with the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning for JSU President; the IHL filled Bynum's head with attaboys and foolishness, now Bynum thinks he's the great "black hope" sent to JSU by Jesus.:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back